What's new

Linen leather strops

Using a coticule for one stoning honing requires a good reliable flax linen. I,ve tried and tested many different fabrics meterials. I get asked quite often ? Which strop would I recommend to bring the best out of a coticule honed razor. The answer is a nice piece of flax linen . The one strop apart from my Neil Miller and whestholme linen cordaven, which is expensive but real luxury I use a 2x15 herold strop from superior shave the ruby red one or normal tanned are exallant little strops. I love the flax on these. Not only is it nice to strop on it realy does work well after a dilucot honing with the Belgium coticule. It's a shame they don't make a 2.5 but having said that 2 in width is ideally all you would need.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 175
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 176
I have to say that I am right there with Gary on this one. I will rub steel on anything to give it a try, but I always come home to genuine flax linen. The only problem I have with it is its rarity and most especially its rarity in 3 inch width. I have it on several strops so figure my lifetime is covered, but I find myself wanting to recommend it to other shavers.

I think most guys fall short due to not having the flax meterial, not saying it's the must have but once I delved into coticules it was only when I used the linen I found I had the perfect combination.

I have the Herold Russian leather strop. You get used to the 2 inch width and it's not a problem at all.
It is really nice linen. I believe there is a stand alone linen strop also that Herold makes.

I have the Herold Russian leather strop. You get used to the 2 inch width and it's not a problem at all.
It is really nice linen. I believe there is a stand alone linen strop also that Herold makes.

Yes there is and I have to say I tried it and for some reason it's a little more course, I have to be onest I didn't particular like it. It's just different to what comes with the strops.

gary

Legion

Staff member
I have always been dubious about the "need" for a fabric component, but I do find myself using it more and more as time goes on. I have a 3" flax linen strop which does work well.

Torolf at Scrupleworks.Com (in Bergen, Norway) offers 3" natural herringbone weave natural linen. Is flax linen different? I have a 3" Horween strop with the linen as part and also the same material made as a separate, stand alone 3" natural linen strop...I have another on the way. Pure sensuous luxury..and very calming in use.. .not to mention the Horween itself..might be worth checking out..

Chris

$IMG_20160118_153514.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there is and I have to say I tried it and for some reason it's a little more course, I have to be onest I didn't particular like it. It's just different to what comes with the strops.

gary

I've tried both and have to agree that the stand-alone is different. More of a "pilling" effect used by itself. I put the white stuff on one side and the red stuff on the other. Makes me wonder of the variety that comes with the leather has already been white-pasted or something.

By the way, how many laps are you doing with the Solingen linen after the coticule?

That's interesting. I'd have thought it's the same stuff. I've not used the Dovo white paste so I can't be sure, but I don't think my linen was treated during the manufacturing process. Maybe the batches vary it is a natural product.

Torolf at Scrupleworks.Com (in Bergen, Norway) offers 3" natural herringbone weave natural linen. Is flax linen different? I have a 3" Horween strop with the linen as part and also the same material made as a separate, stand alone 3" natural linen strop...I have another on the way. Pure sensuous luxury..and very calming in use.. .not to mention the Horween itself..might be worth checking out..

Chris

View attachment 630984
I've looked at these. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but the 2.5" looks nice.
And horween is horse hide is it not?

Chris

View attachment 630984

Tried and tested scrupleworks strops the quality is very good and he,s up there with all the rest of the custom strop makers. I just think for the price of the herold strop you realy carnt go wrong if your on a slight budget there a good price for a quality item and on a plus side I can take mine on my travels.

Tried and tested scrupleworks strops the quality is very good and he,s up there with all the rest of the custom strop makers. I just think for the price of the herold strop you realy carnt go wrong if your on a slight budget there a good price for a quality item and on a plus side I can take mine on my travels.

I also have a 2" Horween strop from Torolf..for travel. It has a firmer brushed cotton component. Very pleased as well. For us Yanks, the strong dollar makes them more attractive..Haven't done the £-Nk calculation tho...they all seem to be pretty reasonable compared with to some of the Japanese strops.

If your honing with a coticule there is no Dout linen makes a difference in my findings , j nats I,ve heard leather only, coming of paste ,lapping films etc, I would imagine leather would be plenty.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I ordered a linen hanging strop from scrupleworks last week. I've been using a piece from Tony Miller but it's getting pretty nasty and he's out of it so I went with Torolf. Stropping on genuine linen always bumps the hht's off my Coti edges and makes for better shaves.

Top Bottom