What's new

Homemade Hair Tonic - It works

Thanks to the Search feature and reading up on hair tonics for awhile, I put together some info and decided to give this a try.

I wanted a hair tonic with a smell that matched my scents and/or aftershaves for the day.
I wanted an oil-free hair tonic.
I wanted something that give the hair some luster, some moisture, but just a bit, more for the scalp. Nothing sticky or greasy at all.

I set aside a bottle of Pinaud's Bay Rum Aftershave. It is alcohol, water fragrance and color.
I poured about 3 tablespoons of Everclear in a small jar and added about 3 heavy drops of glycerin. I shook it up so that the glycerin dissolved. I added this to the Pinaud, followed by a 1/8 cup of water to cut the alcohol.
This mixture was then decanted into a glass apothecary bottle.

It's like using the Clubman Hair Tonic, but it's Bay Rum Hair tonic, and not as strong as the pure aftershave.

It works.
Therefore, my next project will be...
..Old Spice hair tonic! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Sounds nice. I have always wondered about doing something like this. I do have a couple of questions. First, why the everclear? Does it dissolve the glycerin better? I would think you could add it directly to the a/s or cologne since the Clubman products are mostly alcohol. Second, did the water make a big difference? Thanks.

Regards, Todd

I like Murray and Lanman's Florida water in a mix with
a bit of Jojoba Oil (really good for hair and scalp) and water.

Thanks for sharing the results of your little experiment.

Most tonics I've seen have basically the same ingredients as aftershaves - although some have varying degrees of oil (usally mineral oil).

I find that the addition of glycerine to most tonics really makes a difference - gives a little conditioning, without being greasy.

I think the suggestion to use a bit of jojoba oil is a good one if you have a dry scalp or want a little control - I think this would be preferable to using one of the tonics with mineral oil, as they can be greasy and give a slick look.

The only tip I can add is that you should add the glycerine or jojoba oil a few DROPS at a time, as a little goes a long way - a few drops of glycerine to a full bottle of Pinaud quinine was all I needed to give me the results I wanted.

Sounds nice. I have always wondered about doing something like this. I do have a couple of questions. First, why the everclear? Does it dissolve the glycerin better? I would think you could add it directly to the a/s or cologne since the Clubman products are mostly alcohol. Second, did the water make a big difference? Thanks.

Regards, Todd

You guessed it. My intention was to dissolve the glycerin and then add a little water to tone down the overall mix. I am beginning to think Suzuki has the right idea, i.e., I could have added a few drops directly to the Pinaud and it would have worked fine. I was initally worried that the Pinaud had just enough water it wouldn't dissolve the glycerin. Next time, I may try it just straight pinaud + glycerin.

More important to me is that a alcohol splash with a few drops of glycerin gave me a really astonishing little hair tonic with all the benefits I wanted. Five days using it now; no itchiness, no flakes, no greasy residue, showers off easy, no dry hairs, scalp feels great and hair has a little control, a smidgen, nothing more... exactly what I wanted.

I have regular 4oz regular strength Ogalalla fragrances,all scents i own. i also own 4oz Double strength versions as well.

The regular 4oz original strength versions of all the scents i want to make into matching hair tonics to go with all my special reserve Ogalallas i use as AS/cologne.

I have Jojoba and Argan oils (Organic) how many drops should i add to each bottle of 4oz Regular strength Ogalallas to make a decent Hair Tonic,to match the Double Strengths ? I want to just add the oils to the existing Ogalalla 4oz bottles.

Any input?

I may do the same with Old Spice as well (Shultons/India Old Spice Original & Old Spice Fresh Lime)

Thnx :)

Well... I added 15 drops of Argan Oil and 5 drops of Jojoba Oil to my 6oz Dominica Bay Rum & Dominica Bay Rum Lime sprays. I'll keep youz posted on how well it works for my hair

Top Bottom