What's new

Advice on Feather Artist Club Folding Razor's.

Ever since I started DE Wet Shaving, traditional straight razors have been in my thoughts for the long term.

Kinda Sorta thinking of getting a Feather Stainless Steel Folding Artist Club Razor along with the ProGuard Blades.

Any advice and/or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Even if only to talk me out of this purchase.

If you want something close to the traditional straight razor experience, go for the DX over the SS. The DX has a flat (slightly concave) blade similar to the straights. The SS has this bulge along the edge, which is more forgiving and folks say it is more like a safety razor experience. Using the ProGuard blades would be like an open comb safety razor experience. I use them occasionally and they are great, but personally, it will not give you the true straight razor experience. I know a lot of folks will probably respond to you saying the only thing that will give you a straight razor experience is a straight razor, and to an extent, that is true, however I have settled on Feather and vintage Wecks because I don't want to bother with honing and stropping daily and both systems give a close to straight razor shave.

I say go for it! The best part of shaving is to try different things and see how you like it.

I agree mostly with the above.
Decide if you want a traditional straight - and bear in mind it involves stropping and blade honing as needed, for which you can buy film or stones or send the razor out to be honed.
Or you go the disposable blade route like a Shavette, a Weck or a Feather.
Of the latter I prefer the Feather. Here you can go cheap - a CJB clone, pretty cheap - Feather AC SS or expensive - Feather AC DX.
SS is available both folding and non-folding.
The CJB clone is more like the Feather AC RG (available in Asia, but not USA) and DX in that it does not have the ridge of the SS. A month into using the SS, I really don't feel like the bulge changes anything.

My thanks for the replies and the advice.

Sadly, I have a lot of doubts about my capability of honing an actual Straight Razor.

More than willing to spend the time caring for a good SR but then we are back to my skills.

The Mrs. took my tools (Starting with the powered ones) away years ago and for good reason.:blushing:

The Feather SS can be had on Amazon rather cheap these days. The blades are insanely sharp. I use Feather SS folding style razor almost daily and get close, comfortable shaves with it. IMO, the blades get smoother after the first few shaves and last me at least 12 shaves.

Also my opinion...my traditional straights are more forgiving than the Feather Artist Club blades. I find that I need to be more careful when using the feather due to its wicked sharpness. I get excellent daily shaves from my feather SS.

I think that the Weck Sextoblades comes closer to a real straight without being a straight, however the Feather AC razors are excellent products and like the others have mentioned, you can go cheap with the Sam Seong and CJB (but they will not be folding), mid price with the SS and Kai Captains (they both have a folding and non folding version), or high price with a DX (folding or non folding). The other advantage of the Feather AC razors is that you have a choice of different blades. Yes, I tried the Pro and Super Pro blades and they are so sharp, you probably could do surgery. They also have the mild and ProGuards which are way less aggressive, and like Goldilocks, they have the regulars, which are just right. I started on the Weck/Feather disposable blade razors and then moved to straights and now am back to where I started because of the high maintenance with straights.

Jump in and give it a shot, you're going to enjoy the experience.

I started with a straight. After having to have it honed for the second time in a month due to bad stropping, I bought a Feather AC DX. There is a learning curve to it. You have to treat it like a lightsaber. I have several cuts on my face and neck to prove it. It is worth it however because it shaves your face to the smoothness of a 6 year old's. My advice is to just try to "scoop" the soap off of your face. Just go slow and put no pressure on the blade.

Wecks can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Feather, and usually the Personna hair shaper blades are available locally from a beauty supply store. I can't imagine that the Feathers shave any better, but I've never used one, so what do I know.

I would say go for it. The pro guard blades are great to start with, way more forgiving than the others. The ss is also more forgiving than the dx. I have both and use both regularly. If you want the Cadillac and closer to a straight razor feel, go for the dx. If you just want close comfortable shaves that are a little more forgiving, go for the ss. When has anyone on B&B ever talked someone out of a purchase?:lol:

Awaiting delivery of a folding Feather DX. Question. With my DEs, I disassemble after every shave and leave blade and head to dry. Does anyone do the same with shavettes? Any concerns re rust if blades are left in the shavettes?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you leave it in the blade will rust a bit and discolor the holder, but so far it cleans off with a little firm pressure with a non scratch scouring pad.

Awaiting delivery of a folding Feather DX. Question. With my DEs, I disassemble after every shave and leave blade and head to dry. Does anyone do the same with shavettes? Any concerns re rust if blades are left in the shavettes?

I don't do this with my DE or Injector and the blades never rust. I have heard that carbon steel blades will rust. I only have 3 razor total and use them all through the week so that would also make a difference. If you have lots of razors in your collection then taking the blade out would be a good idea.

While I greatly enjoyed shaving with my Feather AC, it now resides in my storage unit since I seemed to have finally figured out how to hone my regular straight razors. I used the professional blades and I could never shave without weepers. I've also got a couple of gushers from not paying good attention to my idle shaving hand while looking and feeling for spots that needed an extra pass.

Top Bottom