What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel Scents compared

Superhazel for sure.

Superhazel has 20% alcohol. Peach, Lemon and Thayers Aftershave also contain alcohol but at 10%.
I can't use Af.Shv with alcohol as it burns my face.
Lavender, original, Rose, Unscented and cucumber have no alcohol.

Superhazel has 20% alcohol. Peach, Lemon and Thayers Aftershave also contain alcohol but at 10%.
I can't use Af.Shv with alcohol as it burns my face.

FWIW, typical alcohol-based aftershaves burn me too. But Superhazel never does. I think even 20% is nowhere near the alcohol content of the average aftershave.

Rose is mild. Lavender is nice. The original is fine, too.

Lavender is nice

I personally have been using the Thayers Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel Tone.

I currently have Thayer's Peach, Cucumber, Medicated, and After Shave Witch Hazel. I usually have Lavender also but I am out. I have also tried the Lemon. None of the scents last long enough to really worry about it but I will say that the Cucumber scent lasts the longest out of the ones that I have tried. The Cucumber I keed in the fridge and use for days that really need some cooling and/or healing more than other days. Works great on sunburns also. I am really enjoying the medicated (smells a little like cloves and goes well with bay rum or sandalwood AS or anything a little spicy or musky). If you are concerned about scent, Lavender works well with most any other scent, but really so do all the others.

So for those of you who are using the Alcohol Free, I have a question. I've always been leery about trying it. For one, I like the alcohol in my 'Witch Hazel' since it kinds tempers my skin a bit, and reduces any alcohol shock that may come from my aftershave follow up. Also, I'm already kind of unhappy with how long it takes my WH to evaporate. Does the Alcohol Free take longer to evaporate? Logically it should? Regardless of scent, how to you compare the difference between the alcohol free and the alcohol product?

So for those of you who are using the Alcohol Free, I have a question. I've always been leery about trying it. For one, I like the alcohol in my 'Witch Hazel' since it kinds tempers my skin a bit, and reduces any alcohol shock that may come from my aftershave follow up. Also, I'm already kind of unhappy with how long it takes my WH to evaporate. Does the Alcohol Free take longer to evaporate? Logically it should? Regardless of scent, how to you compare the difference between the alcohol free and the alcohol product?
It does take a bit longer to evaporate (seconds), but I just use a bit less than I would for an alcohol product. Also I just slap the splash over the drying WH and it accelerates the drying process.

Alternatively you can combine 50/50 WH and splash in your palm and splash away all at once.

My routine is to splash the Thayers on my face and neck. I then clean up the razor, brush, etc. and then apply AS. By the time I apply the AS, the WH is gone. I don't find much of a difference in drying time with Thayers or the generic WH I have.

Kinda defeats the purpose, to me. I use them as two separate products, with two different purposes.

I started making my own tend skin. The real stuff worked wonders for the folliculitis on my scalp, but it was too pricey. The homemade stuff works nearly as well. I just made my first batch with Humphrey's Lilac Witch Hazel. The scent gets diluted, so it's extremely faint, but it's there.

If I have a shave that results in razor burn I will go with Thayer's to avoid any more burning. However typically I use WH with alcohol right after a cold water rinse.

I splash on the Alcohol Free Witch Hazel and then rinse my brush, bowl, put on deodorant, and wipe the counter, by then it is dry. I've never tried Witch Hazel with Alcohol as I'm of the school that it dries out your skin.

It might take longer to dry, but I really think that it is marginal at most. The Thayer's After Shave Witch Hazel may have more alcohol in it, which might mean that it dries quicker, but at about $7.00 a bottle for 4 oz as opposed to $9.00 or $10.00 for 12 oz for the other scents...I'll stick with the big bottle.

Top Bottom