What's new

If you had to choose between corned beef and pastrami

Corned Beef or Pastrami?

• Corned Beef

• Pastrami

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have no idea what that is, but I am going to check it out.

Allow me.

Kasha Varnishkes

Add 1 cup buckwheat Coarse or whole grain) to 2 cups boiling water or stock and add a tablespoon of butter.
Cover and lower heat to bare simmer.
Cook 15 minutes.

In a large pan, sauté a heap of sliced onions, two or three large, in oil until golden.
It should look as if there is too much oil.

Cook a pound of bowtie noodles in salted water until tender.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the three prepared ingredients.
Season with salt and pepper, adding oil (olive oil is good at this stage) if it appears too dry.

The Egg Cream

Must be performed in this order to achieve the desired white head.

In a large glass, roughly 16 oz or 1/2 litre, add approx. 2" of whole milk.
(Whole milk works best, but if you live with folks who only buy 2%, fat free, or other some such nonsense, spike it with some half & half or cream.)
Add approx. 3/4" of Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup.
(You may substitute any other decent chocolate syrup, but if you feel a whack on the back of your neck, that would be my dead grandmother.)

The tricky part-

Assuming you don't have access to a soda fountain or the bottles that The Three Stooges would use to spray you in the face, make sure you use a freshly opened can or bottle of seltzer.
Place a long spoon along the side of the glass with the convexed side touching the glass.
Pour the seltzer along the convexed side of the spoon, lifting the spoon as the glass fills.
Stop filling when you're a good three inches from the top of the glass. It will expand.
Place the spoon at the bottom of the glass and stir vigorously.
Be ready to quickly drink any overflow, and be quick about it. There will be.
Emit burp and admire your artwork.

Drinking your egg cream-

No need for raised pinkies or slow sipping here. The egg cream is one of the few beverages that is meant to be gulped. So just channel your inner barbarian and have at it. If your next burp registers less than 90 decibels, you did something wrong.

I was born in Philly and raised in Brooklyn. I've wrestled alligators, worked as a sparring partner, ice road trucker, parachute tester, and cleaned shark and piranha tanks at the aquarium.

But I don't go to Newark. :tongue_sm

I'm from Philly as well....and that made me laugh!

I love both of these meats....but if forced to choose....IMO there are not many better things than a hot pastrami on marble rye with Swiss and mustard...nice pickle on the side, maybe some slaw....simple perfection

ouch

This thread may need a sequel.

Which meat makes a better Reuben sandwich- corned beef or pastrami?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next time you're in Baltimore, tell your Uber driver to take you to the 1000 block of E. Lombard Street, nicknamed Corn Beef Row ...
proxy.php

Once you get there, go to Attman's Deli ...
proxy.php

And don't let all the advertising signs fool you ...
proxy.php

Order a PASTRAMI sandwich ...

you can thank me later.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
This thread may need a sequel.

Which meat makes a better Reuben sandwich- corned beef or pastrami?

proxy.php

proxy.php
By definition, a Reuben is corned beef. Other meats may be substituted, as may other dressings, but any such change also requires a name change.

My vote is for Pastrami- home cured and smoked of course.

And just to be fair, home cured corned beef can be nice...

And lets not forget some CB Hash...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming that we're talking about REAL corned beef and Pastrami from an authentic deli like Katz's or Rein's. ("deli meat" versions of both are kind of yucky, usually.) I voted pastrami, but in real life, I couldn't make such a choice.

They don't have good Pastrami up here sadly, so I have it very infrequently. Luckily, there is decent Corned Beef to be found (my own being the best of course) so Ruebens are one of my common sandwich orders.

A Rueben is also one of the "tests" I give a new sandwich shop -- if they can make a good Rueben, they probably know what they're doing in general. (Flavorful Corned Beef, good sauerkraut, not too much cheese, and not drowned in Russian dressing. Also grilled properly, not dripping in grease.)

ouch

By definition, a Reuben is corned beef. Other meats may be substituted, as may other dressings, but any such change also requires a name change.

A pastrami Reuben is occasionally referred to as a Rachel. As a general rule, when it comes to these meats. whatever a New Yorker says goes. :tongue_sm

captp

A pastrami Reuben is occasionally referred to as a Rachel. As a general rule, when it comes to these meats. whatever a New Yorker says goes. :tongue_sm
As I said, different name rule applies:001_rolle. Here in Central PA, a Rachel is usually turkey, but I have read that's the name for the pastrami version. I usually know better than to ever argue with a New Yorker about anything, but I'm also just a little opinionated

ouch

As I said, different name rule applies:001_rolle. Here in Central PA, a Rachel is usually turkey, but I have read that's the name for the pastrami version. I usually know better than to ever argue with a New Yorker about anything, but I'm also just a little opinionated

Hey, at least you're not like the guys from Nebraska who make the laughable claim that they invented the Reuben. We New Yorkers categorically deny the legitimacy of that claim. (By "that claim", I refer to both the invention of the sandwich and Nebraska's statehood.)

captp

Hey, at least you're not like the guys from Nebraska who make the laughable claim that they invented the Reuben. We New Yorkers categorically deny the legitimacy of that claim. (By "that claim", I refer to both the invention of the sandwich and Nebraska's statehood.)
:lol:

Jim,

I know it's a drive, but next time you head south, try Weintraub's in Worcester. It's on Water Street. Great Pastrami!

Excellent. I will look next time I'd down in that direction.

Supposedly a "real" deli has opened over in Portsmouth -- Bubby's Deli: http://bubbysdeli.com/Bubby's_Menu_WEB.pdf
They specialize in brisket, lox, house-cured corned beef, latkes, matzo ball soup. They even have (@Ouch will appreciate this) classic egg cream made with milk, seltzer and Fox’s U-bet.

Sadly, it's an hour+ away

Last edited:
Corned beef for me.
About the only thing I miss about growing up in NW CT is the food. Rein's Reuben is truly a thing of beauty.

Top Bottom