What's new

Continuous lighting - using the Rotolight RL48 interview kit

Wow, training, consolidation, training and more consolidation. Not had muich time to spend on my love of photography. Or to play with my new toy, the Rotolight RL48. The interview kit includes a case, light stand adaptor and isn't much more than the light alone. Don't even think of scrimping - the light needs both to function properly.

It's round, light and powered by 3 AA batteries. Colour temperature and artistic gels are included in the set too, simply fitting into the removable transparent "lens". Output is fixed, so control is sneaker powered - further or closer in. The light is soft, and depending on the angle to the subject, can give ringflash like donut highlights. It's not bright enough to replace a high power flash (of which I've 3) but it is compact and a darn sight easier to set up and shoot with. If you want more power, indeed more control, then the NEO or ANOVA are your choices. The NEO is probably the most portable of the latter two, with power control and app control too. Jason Lanier, a Rotolight ambassador and Sony artisan has a few videos of the NEO on location. My next purchase I reckon.

So, do I like the RL48? Yes. I could do with more control, but as a photographer, I'm always after control. It's great for fill, videography and in the right conditions, as a key light.

$DSC09522-copy.jpg$DSC09540-copy.jpg$DSC09545-copy.jpg$DSC09555-copy.jpg$DSC09562-copy.jpg

I rarely have it on camera, as I rarely have my flash there too. I purchased a boom for it too, so I or a willing assistant/victim can position it where needed.

Chapinahat, I like the idea behind this piece of kit but at a $100+ I'm bit put off.
I'd like more light or a lower price.

Jason Lanier has discount codes regularly. I got mine (interview kit) as a sizeable discount and for ease of use and portability, I love it. Rarely use flash unless I need a multi light set up.

Fleabay has LED panels from around $25 for playing with.

Top Bottom