What's new

Gem 1912 squat head?

I recently acquired a few 1912 razors. One of which was a "squat head". Before then I only had 2 SEs. A Gem 1912 and an Ever-ready 1914. I've used the squat head a few times and it is more comfortable than my other 1912s. I did a quick comparison to my first 1912 and I could not see a difference. I was a little confused because when the lot of 1912s arrived, it was obviously different. I then compared my original 1912 to the other 1912s and I believe it is a squat head too. I've been told that squat head 1912s are less common but I didn't realize I started with one. I now have 2!!!

The two squat heads do give a different shave. One is stamped Gem(my first), and the other is not stamped but says Gem on the case. Both are stamped Brooklyn inside.

Here is a pic. The middle 1912 was my first and the one in question. Although I am pretty sure it's a squat head.
$image.jpg

I recently acquired a few 1912 razors. One of which was a "squat head". Before then I only had 2 SEs. A Gem 1912 and an Ever-ready 1914. I've used the squat head a few times and it is more comfortable than my other 1912s. I did a quick comparison to my first 1912 and I could not see a difference. I was a little confused because when the lot of 1912s arrived, it was obviously different. I then compared my original 1912 to the other 1912s and I believe it is a squat head too. I've been told that squat head 1912s are less common but I didn't realize I started with one. I now have 2!!!

The two squat heads do give a different shave. One is stamped Gem(my first), and the other is not stamped but says Gem on the case. Both are stamped Brooklyn inside.

Here is a pic. The middle 1912 was my first and the one in question. Although I am pretty sure it's a squat head.
View attachment 630013

Yeah..The early Brooklands Gem 1912 has a Round or curved head on a New Improved Frame..They were better built than some later models & are getting somewhat rarer..In the USA they tried to tone down their 1912s by changing them..Some of the later ones are pretty junk especially the later 1912 Gem Junior variants..They mass produced them cheaply at the end up to compete with King Gillette & his Cronies.. :w00t:

Billy

Thank you Billy. I've been researching these 1912s and squat head is one term I read to describe them. All of this history and variety has really jump started my SE addiction.

Squat head, low profile head, or as Waits calls it, simply "flat head."

The primary purpose of this design change was to allow the razor to fit into a slim cigarette case style case, such as this Triumph set below:

$gemtvl2.jpg

This is one of my favorite 1912's - I use it often when I travel.

By whatever name, they were mostly produced in the 1920's. Gem was still producing the regular 1912's for sale in full size cases or cardboard boxes. These were gradually replaced by the Junior 1912's. Examine one of these and you will see what Billy is talking about - there are a number of design changes, all of which appear to have been made in order to reduce production costs.

The squat head razors are not uncommon, although I think that the most common 1912, at least in the US, is the 1930's Ever-Ready model.

--Bob

View attachment 630013
Old thread, I know.

The one on the right, is a squat head also? It looks like my squat head. Mine is not stamped GEM on the back.

So, the one in the middle and the one on the right are the two squat heads?

My squat head is my second go to razor after my Shovel head.

Old thread, I know.

The one on the right, is a squat head also? It looks like my squat head. Mine is not stamped GEM on the back.

So, the one in the middle and the one on the right are the two squat heads?

My squat head is my second go to razor after my Shovel head.
Lol, old thread for sure. You are correct, the middle and right are squat heads. I have no evidence, but it seems unstamped models like yours are more common. Or perhaps they are more noticeable. I stopped using SEs years ago. I may need to find one to use occasionally.

Can somebody show me a side by side picture of a regular sized 1912 next to a “travel size” squat head?

Do they provide a much different shave? The difference in closeness, comfort, smoothness, aggression, scrappy toast sounds and ease of use. Is it a huge difference? I’ve wondered what the difference is.

I enjoy using short handles.
The handle of my squat head, the one with the vertical lines, is my go too.

I do not own a “regular” size 1912.
Lol, old thread for sure. You are correct, the middle and right are squat heads. I have no evidence, but it seems unstamped models like yours are more common. Or perhaps they are more noticeable. I stopped using SEs years ago. I may need to find one to use occasionally.
azwetshaver

Your response is appreciated. If you decide to pick up a vintage SE again, especially a 1912, squat head, or not, I hope in the New Year you continue to enjoy your shaves!

Thanks again.

Can somebody show me a side by side picture of a regular sized 1912 next to a “travel size” squat head?

Do they provide a much different shave? The difference in closeness, comfort, smoothness, aggression, scrappy toast sounds and ease of use. Is it a huge difference? I’ve wondered what the difference is.

azwetshaver

Your response is appreciated. If you decide to pick up a vintage SE again, especially a 1912, squat head, or not, I hope in the New Year you continue to enjoy your shaves!

Thanks again.
I tried to delete the top, question part of this thread. I was unable too. Can a moderator delete and only leave my reply to azwetshaver?

Thank you

azwetshaver

Thanks again.
Thanks. Hopefully someone chimes in with a picture. I have owned both types and preferred the squat head. The squat head seemed smoother to me. I imagine the shorter head causes the blade's spine to be closer to the skin. This would cause the blade to cut more and scrape less. Similar to the angle difference when using a straight razor.

Thanks. Hopefully someone chimes in with a picture. I have owned both types and preferred the squat head. The squat head seemed smoother to me. I imagine the shorter head causes the blade's spine to be closer to the skin. This would cause the blade to cut more and scrape less. Similar to the angle difference when using a straight razor.
My op had a picture, it didn’t come through in the quote, so I’ll try again:
IMG_1436.jpeg

Top Bottom