What's new

CF Lime scent funkiness - is it just me?

Hi friends! Quick question.

I just took delivery of a jar of CF LIme for the first time. The moment I opened it the scent for the first few seconds was this very natural pleasant lime scent.

When I started lathering it, though, the character of the scent changed. The lime is still in there somewhere, but it's sort of dominated by a scent someone else described on here as "shoe polish."

Ever since, the moment I open the closed jar it's great for a few seconds and then changes to something mustier and funkier. During shave, I don't get any lime at all really, just a sort of unpleasant petroleum riff. Very different from the experiences I've read here.

Everyone's nose is different, I know -- but does anyone else get this from CF Lime? Before I move it along or decide to try to like it, I thought I'd check with the assembled subject-matter experts here. Thanks!

I don't think anyone can say something beyond that it's possible you have old product that has gone rancid. It could also be that the scent just doesn't agree with you. If you can return and get a new tub I would suggest doing so. If the second tub smells same as the first then the scent just disagrees with you. All smells are YMMV.

I wouldn't describe the underlying scent of CF Lime as shoe polish or petroleum but there is something animalistic and funky/musky about it. To my nose and in my opinion, it's a good thing :001_cool:

I always describe it as "dirty lime" - one of my favorites!

I always describe it as "dirty lime" - one of my favorites!

Ha! Perhaps the solution is changing my perception-- you've given me an idea. : >)

So long as there are a few others who catch my drift on this, I'm thinking it's not a bad batch -- just that scent mileage isn't varying in my favor on this one. Just like I'm one of the unlucky ones for whom P.160 produces a beet-like reaction. Anyway, I'll give it a go for a while and PIF it if doesn't throw my switches.

I'm about to finish a large jar of CF Lime, which I've had for about 2.5 years. I don't notice anything strange about the scent, other than it has a quality that I really can't explain. I wouldn't call it a muskiness, as posted above. To me, it's more of a heavy quality. I'm not even sure that quantifies it. There is definitely more than just lime there, and I find it very pleasant.

I really like it and will replace it.

I know exactly where you are coming from here. CF Lime has a great scent when you place your nose near the jar, but when using it it seems to take on a kind of metallic tang, the scent is still there but it is harsher than you would expect.

It's a good shave, but one of the more expensive creams and I don't know if I will replace mine. I picked up a 100g tube of Gillette (the European version) for $8.00 recently and now the CF hasn't been touched for a while.

That CF Lime funkiness is lovely to me. I'm just pity that I had only a sample of that.
Try also the jazzyness of TOBS Lime. More pastry like.

You guys have better sniffers than me. The lather smells like the soap to me. The soap smells like a fresh cut lime to me as well. Maybe the more volatile fractions of the EO evaporate first and leave it with a less than fresh lime scent after a while. Mine is only a couple months old. I leave the little plastic secondary cap in it to keep it sealed better in hopes of lengthening the great scent of the soap.

I definitely get your petroleum description. I could smell it the first few lathers from my tub, but since it has been nothing but lime heaven. Try it a few more times.

Thanks everyone for the insights and experiences. I'm doing some follow-up with the retailer and manufacturer and will report back here to close out the thread.

Hello all -- just to bring this thread full circle...

After some discussion with the retailer, I got in touch with Andrew at Castle Forbes and had a very pleasant email exchange. He kindly and immediately offered to dispatch a second jar to my home from the UK, which he did, no questions. It arrived quickly, and the difference between the replacement and the original was evident in an instant. Very clean, fresh and limey, no trace of the strangeness of the first one. Totally delightful -- precisely as I've read it described here. Used it, and it's terrific.

Not exactly sure what the deal was. I suspect the original jar could have been old. Also, it was bitterly cold here the day the original showed up at my door, and it probably sat outside for a while in subzero degrees F. Maybe that goofed it up somehow. Probably forever a mystery.

But happy to report that my mileage wasn't varying in this case -- the product was. And it's great. I also wish to give a public shout to Castle Forbes, especially as a small operation, for standing behind their product so impressively.

Thanks all for your input on this!

Last edited:
It's great to know that the manufacturer of my favorite cream does customer service the way it should be done. To me, it's what justifies paying a premium price for a premium product.

I'll order the lavender that I've been putting off now.

Glad you're experiencing all the goodness CF can offer. It is one of the best lathering products I've tried. My tub was purchased in December 2012, so my tub is over 3 years old. Maybe this is why I get a whiff of petroleum from time to time.

Hello all -- just to bring this thread full circle...

After some discussion with the retailer, I got in touch with Andrew at Castle Forbes and had a very pleasant email exchange. He kindly and immediately offered to dispatch a second jar to my home from the UK, which he did, no questions. It arrived quickly, and the difference between the replacement and the original was evident in an instant. Very clean, fresh and limey, no trace of the strangeness of the first one. Totally delightful -- precisely as I've read it described here. Used it, and it's terrific.

Not exactly sure what the deal was. I suspect the original jar could have been old. Also, it was bitterly cold here the day the original showed up at my door, and it probably sat outside for a while in subzero degrees F. Maybe that goofed it up somehow. Probably forever a mystery.

But happy to report that my mileage wasn't varying in this case -- the product was. And it's great. I also wish to give a public shout to Castle Forbes, especially as a small operation, for standing behind their product so impressively.

Thanks all for your input on this!

Well I've been trying to decide if I try CF lime as my first cream or if I just stay with soaps. This is making me lean heavily to CF. I hear a ton of god things about it.

Lyle

Top Bottom