What's new

Got my AlumiGoose today.

I'm not sure when they shipped the first one of version 1 but I know I got one of the last ones and I got mine on Jan. 11, 2016. They started making version 2 less than a month later if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Marcus, I put a Weber Wave stainless handle on mine and I love it. It makes the razor feel so nimble with just the right amount of weight. Looks good too.

$Mongoose Wave.jpg

Cool! So v1 to v2 is a bit like 2011 R41 to 2013 R41?

I'm so pleased to have that v1 - it was literally one of the best shaves of my life yesterday!

And that Weber handle looks amazing [emoji3]

Checking my email records I see that I received notification from Mongoose on March 9, 2016 announcing the imminent arrival of the version 2 Alumigoose, and I placed my order with Maggard's on March 11.

I found the V2 Alumigoose to be very much on the mild side, possibly the mildest of this whole new crop of SE's. I needed to load a Pro Super blade in order to get a satisfactory shave.

I've never used a V1, but it is my understanding that it is much more aggressive.

--Bob

Checking my email records I see that I received notification from Mongoose on March 9, 2016 announcing the imminent arrival of the version 2 Alumigoose, and I placed my order with Maggard's on March 11.

I found the V2 Alumigoose to be very much on the mild side, possibly the mildest of this whole new crop of SE's. I needed to load a Pro Super blade in order to get a satisfactory shave.

I've never used a V1, but it is my understanding that it is much more aggressive.

--Bob

Thanks Bob!
I can confirm that the v1 I have is VERY aggressive, and that's a good thing [emoji3]

Compared the Alumigoose v1 to the 2011 R41 this morning.
Used a Pro Super to bump up the efficiency and I was amazed at what a smooth shaver the Alumigoose v1 is:
proxy.php

And doing a direct side by side comparison, it's most definitely in the same league of aggression as the 2011 R41.
Magnificent!
proxy.php

I put a Feather Pro Super in my AlumiGoose awhile back. I found it to be more aggressive than I need. But yes it was smooth. Smoother than the R41 2013. But then again I don't find the R41 to be smooth at all.

$Mongoose Wave.jpg

I also tried a Pro Guard in the AlumiGoose V1 and found it to be very smooth and still a very close shave.

$Mongoose_blades.jpg

Last edited:
Yes this is a very very smooth and very very aggressive razor - perfect!

I also like the fact that it will take any of the AC style blades (unlike the Cobra and the Rx), it's a good solid build (unlike the Cobra) and it's such a simple no-nonsense assembly (unlike the Cobra and the Rocnel).

If only Mongoose still made this razor alongside the v2...

...And I sold my Cobra Classic a while back.
That was very smooth but also quite bitey which the Alumigoose v1 isn't.

Can anybody comment as to how the Ag v1 compares to the Cobra in terms of aggression?

In comparing the Cobra to the AlumiGoose v1, I find the AlGoos v1 much smoother. The Cobra feels kind of rough on my face.

In comparing the Cobra to the AlumiGoose v1, I find the AlGoos v1 much smoother. The Cobra feels kind of rough on my face.

Yes - I'm coming round to thinking the Alumigoose v1 could be the smoothest razor I know.

Is the Cobra any more efficient/aggressive?

The AGv1 certainly gives the 2011 R41 a run for its money, although after about 24hrs the R41 has shaved marginally closer.

Yes - I'm coming round to thinking the Alumigoose v1 could be the smoothest razor I know.

Is the Cobra any more efficient/aggressive?

The AGv1 certainly gives the 2011 R41 a run for its money, although after about 24hrs the R41 has shaved marginally closer.

I can get just as close a shave with either one. About the same on closeness.

That's great and something I really wanted to know.

Sometimes I feel like I should regret selling my Cobra but you've helped me realise that I shouldn't [emoji3]

I know what you mean. I bought the R41 twice and the R41 Twist once. Now I own none.

Top Bottom