What's new

Got my AlumiGoose today.

I got my AlumiGoose in today. It really looks nice. I just got the head so I put it on a Sabi handle and it looks cool. I can't wait to try it on Tuesday.

$Mongoose.jpg

I love these Feather Artist Club blades. To me they are the sharpest blades and with this razor very stiff also. I had a stainless steel Mongoose last year which I ended up selling. I will compare the shave although most guys seen to think they give the same shave. I'll see.

I had my first shave with the Alumigoose. It shaved very nicely as expected. Like I said yesterday, I had a stainless steel model last year (batch 2) and although I liked it I was not overly impressed with it. But since then I have been using a lot of vintage SE razors and I now look at the Mongoose with a different perspective. Before I got this one I was using my Ever-Ready 1914 razor. I do enjoy shaving with the 1914 but I have to say the Mongoose is much smoother. The GEM blades seem a bit rough the first couple of shaves. While I find the Feather Pros to be a very smooth blade.
In fact I am really considering selling or PIFing all but one DE razor and all but one vintage SE razor that I own. I think the Mongoose will be my daily driver from now on. I just like those blades.
BTW I see no difference in the way the Alumigoose shaves compared to the stainless steel model.

Last edited:
Ordered mine today. I can't wait to give it a try. I really like aluminum razors (I have the RR Slant & RR Baby Smooth) better than a heavy SS one.

Please tell me where you ordered it from! I'm on a notification list but haven't heard anything yet

I was also on the wait list. Monday I got an email from mongoose saying they had 20 AlumiGoose heads that their manufacturer held back from the fist order. They offered the head only or with a SS handle to me if I responded ASAP. Since I have an aluminum handle from my RR Slant I just went with the head only option. I also have a IKON BULLDOG handle if I want to go SS, so either way just buying the head was a good move for me.

I have both the aluminum Mongoose (with the aluminum handle) and a batch 3 stainless steel Mongoose (with a barber-pole style Mongoose handle). I found the stainless steel barber-pole style Mongoose handle to be a bit too heavy for my taste, so I would normally use my Jurgen Hempel Ti barber-pole handle with the SS Mongoose head. Paired-up with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade it would provide a close & comfortable shave for me.

I purchased the aluminum Mongoose recently from a guy on one of the BST Facebook sites, been shaving with it for a week now. I first used it for a couple of days with the stock aluminum handle. It was a bit too light for my taste, and the lack of knurling made it ever so slightly slippery. So from then on I've been using my Hemple Ti handle with the aluminum head, and this has proved to be a good setup for me.

Right away I noticed a difference in the top cap of the aluminum Mongoose as compared to the SS Mongoose cap. The aluminum cap comes down to a narrower "point" where it meets the blade, versus a more rounded 'duller' profile on the SS Mongoose cap. I also noticed that the aluminum cap doesn't seem to extend as far over the blade as the SS cap does. This results in what I feel is a bit more blade exposure on my face and a more aggressive shave, even with the same Captain Titan Mild blade.

So put me down as someone who does feel that the AlumiGoose shaves differently versus the stainless steel version. I'm undecided at this point if I'll be keeping both. I really like the lighter weight of the AlumiGoose head, but I prefer the shaves that I get from the SS version. I'm going to give it more time before jumping to a rash decision. Perhaps it will become my Monday morning razor, when I have a bit more beard growth from the weekend. The rest of the week I'll use my SS Mongoose. We shall see.

I have both the aluminum Mongoose (with the aluminum handle) and a batch 3 stainless steel Mongoose (with a barber-pole style Mongoose handle). I found the stainless steel barber-pole style Mongoose handle to be a bit too heavy for my taste, so I would normally use my Jurgen Hempel Ti barber-pole handle with the SS Mongoose head. Paired-up with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade it would provide a close & comfortable shave for me.

I purchased the aluminum Mongoose recently from a guy on one of the BST Facebook sites, been shaving with it for a week now. I first used it for a couple of days with the stock aluminum handle. It was a bit too light for my taste, and the lack of knurling made it ever so slightly slippery. So from then on I've been using my Hemple Ti handle with the aluminum head, and this has proved to be a good setup for me.

Right away I noticed a difference in the top cap of the aluminum Mongoose as compared to the SS Mongoose cap. The aluminum cap comes down to a narrower "point" where it meets the blade, versus a more rounded 'duller' profile on the SS Mongoose cap. I also noticed that the aluminum cap doesn't seem to extend as far over the blade as the SS cap does. This results in what I feel is a bit more blade exposure on my face and a more aggressive shave, even with the same Captain Titan Mild blade.

So put me down as someone who does feel that the AlumiGoose shaves differently versus the stainless steel version. I'm undecided at this point if I'll be keeping both. I really like the lighter weight of the AlumiGoose head, but I prefer the shaves that I get from the SS version. I'm going to give it more time before jumping to a rash decision. Perhaps it will become my Monday morning razor, when I have a bit more beard growth from the weekend. The rest of the week I'll use my SS Mongoose. We shall see.

If you decide not to keep the AlumiGoose, I know a guy who'd welcome a PM (hint: he's typing this post :lol:)

I'm glad to hear you found the all aluminum Mongoose too light. I have just the head and I sent an e-mail to the Mongoose guys to see if I could by an aluminum handle later one and they said they had no plans on making separate handles.
I haven't with the stainless steel version in quite awhile since I sold it about a year ago. So I can't say for sure if they shave the same. From what I can remember they seem the same.

Will-do, hopefully production will ramp up soon and it sounds like they plan on selling them via a couple of established vendors too.
That's what it sounds like to me too
but if you get to me before they do, I'd much prefer forking cash over to a fellow B&Ber. I plan on getting a SS handle for it anyway, so no qualms about getting only the head. But we'll cross these bridges when we get to them

Last edited:
When I got my reply from the Mongoose guys this morning about buying an aluminum handle only, I got the impression that they are not going to start producing these full speed ahead any time soon. He said it was just a trial run.
They have also said recently that they were having problems producing the Polished Mongoose head. So I would say your best bet is to get on a waiting list for the Satin finish Mongoose if you want a Mongoose razor.

Well I had my second shave with my AlumiGoose tonight and it was super. My last shave wasn't quite as smooth but I now dialed it in and the shave was just great. I used a Feather Pro blade which I think is the best blade for this razor. I have tried the KAI pink mild and the Feather Pro Guard but I think the Feather Pro is the best one for this razor. Not by a lot. They are all very close in performance IMO.

Top Bottom