What's new

Proraso Balm vs Nivea vs Brut Balm vs?

Okay, funds are tight, looking for summer employment so I need some help picking out a good all around balm for when I have a mediocre shave. I already have Pinaud Clubman for every other time.

Does the Proraso scent fade quickly?

Looking for the best in moisturizing, etc Scent doesn't matter.
Thanks!

I have been a big advocate of Brut moisturizing ASB since the first time I used it. It is loaded with copious quantities of aloe and shea butter, and it is five dollars at most locations. That is my recommendation. Hopefully this helps. Good luck and God Bless.

I have discovered the Nivea EXtreme comfort post shave balm. It is the best that I have found. It calms down razor burn on the spot and I do not know what I would have done without it these last 2 month of razor training. Walmart has it for around $6.00 but I love it. I have tried Skin Foods ect... high prices stuff but I go back to Nivea. It does not have very much scent to it so I can use my favorite after shave and it will not interfere with them. I carry it in my work truck.

Take Care,
Richard

What is the difference between the numerous balms nivea has out?

Some are lighter than others and have no scent. I have another of the Nivea and while it is good it does not rise to the level of the Xtreme. It may be a little heavy handed but I put on a very small amount and it really shuts down irritations when I got to aggressive in the past. I have leaned a lot these months and don't really burn myself anymore but it is still very good skin conditioner.

Later,
R

I really suggest the Proraso if you have normal skin and Nivea Sensitive if its anything else. As for the Brut, Ive never had the inclination to go near the stuff so I cant say.

M

modern man

I have used both, the scent is almost non existent for both.

I take the Nivea over the Proraso for 3 reasons.

1. The price.
2. The performance is about the same for me.
3. The contents are more agreeable.

I personally cannot touch anything labeled 'nivea.' For some reason none of its products are well-tolerated by my skin.

AV Ice Balm is my go to, but sadly I believe they are phasing it out of stores. I've resorted to Ebay to find it.......(sigh)

I personally cannot touch anything labeled 'nivea.' For some reason none of its products are well-tolerated by my skin.

AV Ice Balm is my go to, but sadly I believe they are phasing it out of stores. I've resorted to Ebay to find it.......(sigh)

Ya I hate that. You finally find a great products that works well and one you really enjoy then the A-holes take it off the market.

Here are my thoughts...
If you want to keep the price down, I'd recommend Nieva because you can get it most anywhere. If you're like me, if I order something on line, I order more than I should -- just to make it worth the shipping charge.
Also, I use Corn Husker's Lotion. It's cheap, easy to find and works well.
However, I can't use either in the summer because they are too heavy. I do my best to avoid any balms or heavy lotions in the summer.
If I have to use one, I like Proraso Pre/Post because it's cooling or Trumper's Extract of Lime Skin Food (it's a little pricey but a little goes a long way).
Might I also suggest Mediterranean Citrus Splash by Saint Charles Shave. Not a balm but does a great job on a rough shave job. It's cheap and smells nice.

I have used Proraso and Nivea. If funds are tight, I'd go with the Nivea, as the two perform and feel very much the same, at least for me. The scents of both fade decently fast.

Here's another option: For the past 6 months or so, I've been using Thayers witch hazel, the lemon scent. It's only 10% alcohol, so it's very gentle. The scent is refreshing but vanishes quickly. It costs about $9 for a large bottle. Available at Whole Foods.

Dave

On my skin, the Proraso Balm is a bit drying compared to the Nivea Sensitive (probably because of the WH)

Regarding the AV Balm, it's still on the shelves here in Canada; I hope it won't be dicontinued :001_huh:

What is the difference between the numerous balms nivea has out?

nivea blue cap variety has some "absorbing/alcoholish" characteristics that make it less moisturizing than the white cap. the white cap variety is sticky or too rich for warm weather for some, but I like it. It's always cold here anyway...

Got some Proraso Balm first, mainly because I was paying Pasteur a visit and they had it and didn't wanna make another trip there (not convenient for me to go to/good for my wallet)

Works great. Moisturizing and soothing, even after my horrible attempt to get a BBS with a disposable. I used it in conjunction with Pinaud Clubman

Thanks!

I've used Proraso and Nivea Sensitive and found them to be very similar. Proraso was better at getting rid of razor burn but I really didn't like the smell and it lingered. I found Nivea is odorless after a few minutes and works pretty well overall.

I recently bought a bottle of Nivea cooling ASB and thought it was decent. Inside the box was a sample of their hydro-gel. I used some today after shaving with Proraso green and thought the HG worked as a pretty good AS. It was fairly light and absorbed in quickly. My face felt great afterwards. Goes to show how you can stumble onto something you like. I picked up a bottle of it this afternoon. As a disclaimer I'll add that I had a real smooth shave today with minimal burn so I don't know how it will handle a rough one, but ill give it a shot.

I recently bought a bottle of Nivea cooling ASB and thought it was decent. Inside the box was a sample of their hydro-gel. I used some today after shaving with Proraso green and thought the HG worked as a pretty good AS. It was fairly light and absorbed in quickly. My face felt great afterwards. Goes to show how you can stumble onto something you like. I picked up a bottle of it this afternoon. As a disclaimer I'll add that I had a real smooth shave today with minimal burn so I don't know how it will handle a rough one, but ill give it a shot.

I thought you avoided products with alcohol (because the 2 products you mentioned do have alcohol)

Top Bottom