What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

Puff the Magic Dragon sipped by the sea (vacation Cape Cod)
proxy.php

On vacation in South Dakota.

I vowed I'd never try a beer with a cute or "clever" name attached to it. Lack of selection forced me to try Moose Drool Brown Ale. Delicious. Also, a local offering, Sick N' Twisted Pant Dropper Porter. Another nice one.

Don

Puff the Magic Dragon sipped by the sea (vacation Cape Cod)
proxy.php
Did you like it? Reaching for the last one in the fridge now...

Had a couple of the offerings from Ft. Myers Brewing Company last night: Tamiami Tan American Brown Ale and a Belgian IPA. It was Gourmet Burger Food Truck Night, so, yeah, not super healthy, but all in moderation, right?

Beer! That fabulous fluid! It's great to find people who also enjoy craft beers. I enjoy most styles, but -mostly due to availability- I particularly enjoy all Belgian abbey ales, especially those Trappist beers. Fortunately, even the finer beers are quite cheap, if you compare it to the huge differences in wine, whisk(e)y and other products.

I digress. Today I'll have a nice porter, specifically, Cutthroat Porter, by Odell Brewing Company (Colorado). I have already had it once and it was very good, so I'm looking forward to my second one!

Green Flash's Cosmic Ristretto Baltic Porter.

It has sat in the fridge a few months. I moved in May and i didnt move it bit I don't remember buying it...

Anyways, good coffee flavor and not coffee bitter. The malt shone through and it was a nice end to a busy Friday night at the smokehouse. It was even delicious after a couple IPAs while cleaning.

Had a Dogfish Head 90 Minute DIPA last night with sushi. Really disappointing after the great local craft beers I've had recently. Very malty. Didn't remember it that way. Not bad, but not how I prefer my IPA.

As an aside, the beer fridge is empty (somewhat mysteriously). Looking forward to finding the next 4 or 6 pack!

Went with a 6 of Founder's Porter from the local craft beer bar. They had Delerium Red on the shelf. I can't see messing with a near perfect beer, so I passed. Would have grabbed Delerium Tremens...

Went with a 6 of Founder's Porter from the local craft beer bar. They had Delerium Red on the shelf. I can't see messing with a near perfect beer, so I passed. Would have grabbed Delerium Tremens...
Love me some Founder's Porter. Nice and roasty and hoppy... Everyone is surprised I've unlocked more malty badges on untappd than IPA/Pale badges because I can be such a hop head but a good dark beer will outshine the over-hopped megaliths that have become the meta.

But to prove that, Tonight was some work make Centennial IPA and I got home and had one of my remaining Lagunitas The Waldos' Special ales. 11.5% needs to be taken seriously :)

Deschutes Porter beer. Smooth.

My new quest is to find great Porter and Stout beer with notes of caramel, chocolate and coffee. So far Guiness Extra Stout is king.

Last night I had a La Trappe Quadrupel. As all Trappist ales (and most proper Belgian brews, in fact), it was very good, but just a bit too sweet and fruity for my taste. I personally prefer the astounding St Bernardus Abt 12, it's much more well balanced and complex. Even though both are incredibly good.

Wandered over to the craft brew/pizza place after a late surf. Lo and behold, Founder's Imperial Stout was on tap! One of my top 2 or 3...

Deschutes Porter beer. Smooth.

My new quest is to find great Porter and Stout beer with notes of caramel, chocolate and coffee. So far Guiness Extra Stout is king.

Which porter? The Black Butte? I agree. It is nice.

Almost all good porters and stouts have a chocolate or coffee base. It's what I look for in them, but Guiness!?!?

Boulder Beer's Shake Chocolate Porter would be a good start. Also, Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is heaven.

http://www.enkibrewing.com/.

I like to look local for beers. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed about it; maybe it has something to do with supporting local businesses, but I won't drink swill to prop them up. If you go westbound on Highway 5 from the Twin Cities, you'll pass Paisley Park (Prince's hangout) in Chanhassen, and you'll eventually end up in Victoria, home of Enki Brewing. I've tried two of their offerings... Victoria's Gold Cream Ale, and their Cacao Porter. Available in pints or growlers, and on tap. It might only be available locally, but if you see it in your stores, get some! They make some good beers.

Don

Which porter? The Black Butte? I agree. It is nice.

Almost all good porters and stouts have a chocolate or coffee base. It's what I look for in them, but Guiness!?!?

Boulder Beer's Shake Chocolate Porter would be a good start. Also, Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is heaven.

http://www.enkibrewing.com/.

I like to look local for beers. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed about it; maybe it has something to do with supporting local businesses, but I won't drink swill to prop them up. If you go westbound on Highway 5 from the Twin Cities, you'll pass Paisley Park (Prince's hangout) in Chanhassen, and you'll eventually end up in Victoria, home of Enki Brewing. I've tried two of their offerings... Victoria's Gold Cream Ale, and their Cacao Porter. Available in pints or growlers, and on tap. It might only be available locally, but if you see it in your stores, get some! They make some good beers.

Don

Thanks Don for the recommendations.

One of those Founder's Porters. Nice to have a toned down version of the Imperial Stout in the garage for a little lighter sipping!

Top Bottom