What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

One of the guys at work told me I have to try this. Can you elaborate?

Don

Xocoveza is one of several stouts inspired by Mexican hot chocolate. Coffee, cocoa, hot peppers, cinnamon and vanilla added. There are a bunch of other similar beers out there but Xocoveza is probably the easiest to obtain. Fortunately, it is, IMO, one of the better ones. This is a seasonal release so if it interests you I wouldn't wait too long. It isn't something I'd want to drink regularly but I enjoy a few a year.

Xocoveza is one of several stouts inspired by Mexican hot chocolate. Coffee, cocoa, hot peppers, cinnamon and vanilla added. There are a bunch of other similar beers out there but Xocoveza is probably the easiest to obtain. Fortunately, it is, IMO, one of the better ones. This is a seasonal release so if it interests you I wouldn't wait too long. It isn't something I'd want to drink regularly but I enjoy a few a year.

One of my Untappd buddies, who drinks a fair bit more than I, pegs this as one of his favorites. He "cellars it" after purchase, along with a
his large collection of bourbon barrel aged stouts. I never would have picked it from those listed on the chalkboard at the bar, as I'm not familiar with Stone Brewing (I've never had an Arrogant Bastard!), but my wife gave it a shot, and I'm glad she did. If I see this anywhere, I'll grab as much as I can find and "beer fridge it!"

Tonight's beer? Founder's Breakfast Stout!

As far as the Stone Xocoveza goes, let me add that I do not enjoy beers or cocktails with habañero. Xocoveza is brewed with pasilla peppers, but the influence is subtle.

Found 4 bottles of Xocoveza at the local ABC this morning. The manager said he was able to procure 2 cases last week, but only 4 bottles remained. He said it was unlikely that his distributor (JJ Taylor - Naples to Tampa) would be able to provide any more this year.

Found 4 bottles of Xocoveza at the local ABC this morning. The manager said he was able to procure 2 cases last week, but only 4 bottles remained. He said it was unlikely that his distributor (JJ Taylor - Naples to Tampa) would be able to provide any more this year.

Wow, kind of a tough break, Rick. Still a pretty good supply up here... I scored two six packs today.

Trying it right now:biggrin1:! Not too kind on the nose, but the palate seems to like the smoothness. A really good mocha stout. I'm happy I got some, and should enjoy the rest.

Don

I'm ok with the 4 - plenty of other great stuff out there! And it'll be back next year. I'm holding off on cracking one open. I'm hoping there isn't much difference between keg and bottle. Reviews on one of the big beer review sites were mostly positive, but one reviewer thought he might have gotten a bad batch. I suppose it's possible. Glad you enjoyed it, Don!

Day two of Stones's Xocoveza. Actually better this time around, finished off with a Bells Special Double Cream Stout. VERY relaxing sense of calm and well being after downing these two. Was grilling beef for the Mrs. in the Minnesota chill.

Don

First time from the bottle. Poured a bit aggressively. More pepper on the nose and palate than I got the other night from the tap, but still well balanced. Really enjoyable.

Local craft beer retailer/bar tapped a keg of Lagunitas Willet Bourbon Barrell Aged Imperial Stout for a Tap Takeover event tonight. I was worried the quarter keg wouldn't last until the weekend and headed down. The place had cleared out and the night's best seller was still available. Excellent stuff!

Top Bottom