What's new

What Do You Use For Home Defense?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It could be a vitiman deficiency why they snack on turds. But I'm not certain. Our German Sheppard would get in the cat litter sometimes. Funny thing was he was an adult before we got a cat and he discovered the litter. Which makes me think further it was some deficiency. We still loved him.

The snacking on turds is a boredom/behavior issue. All of my GSDs have done it to some extent, worse than any other dogs I have owned.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The snacking on turds is a boredom/behavior issue. All of my GSDs have done it to some extent, worse than any other dogs I have owned.

My Rotts will eat anything. They are like Ostriches. I've seen the 150 lb Rottweiler aka 'Roman' demolish and eat a brick whole. Yup, a brick. The 130 lb Rott, aka 'Scar' ate a huge stuffed purple 'Barney' I won at the fair. Oh. and several years back, one of them pulled the neighbors cat thru our chain link fence and ate it.

About two weeks ago, sometime between midnight and 4am, my dog, a 70-lb German Shepard, Chow Chow, brittany, Greyhound, Yorkie mix went BUTTNOG CRAZY. From the third floor of our townhome, it sounded like the dog was going through the stages of finding a squirrel: first growling, then a sprint/charge across the room, then incessantly and frantically barking for 5 minutes.

My wife was yelling at the dog to shut up. Finally, i had to go downstairs to get him to stop. I tried to get him to his bed upstairs, but he refused to come, so I gave up. .About five minutes later, then the sequence repeated right when I fell back asleep.

the next morning I discovered that the front door was wide open. Still not sure if one of us somehow forgot to close it, and a critter ran in, or if the dog really staved off an intruder.

OkieStubble

No sign of damage to the door? Kinda creepy. There's nothing better than a Working Breed that loves his home & master.

AR15 with a 9mm upper. Zero recoil, nearly no muzzle flash, Nite sites, 40 round mag, best of all worlds. OK, add a great alarm system and a yippy dog with great ears.

It really depends on which room I happen to be in, but they will have to get by my mastiff and I always have have my carry weapon on me usually my Springfield Arms 1911-A1 .45acp or my Sig Sauer P220 carry elite .45acp

OkieStubble

It really depends on which room I happen to be in, but they will have to get by my mastiff and I always have have my carry weapon on me usually my Springfield Arms 1911-A1 .45acp or my Sig Sauer P220 carry elite .45acp

The good/bad thing about owning a dog of that size is, if something happens, there would be no way to get that dog off of them without shooting it, which would tell you, they have a gun.

OkieStubble

I had a GSD for about a year. We got her when she was around 2 months old as part of my defense strategy and also planned for her to grow up with my daughter (got dog when kid was 2). She went through training and seemed to be learning well. She was a puppy so quite a handful; lots of nipping, a little chewing, not too many accidents, but ate a lot of poop :001_huh:. Even at such a young age she was very protective and even though she played hard like a puppy she never once did anything to my daughter out of anger. My daughter sometimes yanked her ears or pulled on her until she yelped but she never defended herself out of reflex to this toddler. She just endured it like she instinctively knew it was just a baby.

Well, my wife and I both have very non-traditional work schedules and it was very hard to make time for the dog. I felt bad for not giving her a ton of affection because of the eating poop thing. We tried EVERYTHING for this but nothing worked. More importantly we just didn't have the time to give her the proper level of activity a GSD needs. We had to give her away to a close friend's family member.

We gave her away right around her 1 year birthday. A couple months later the new owner updated us and told us she weighed 104 lbs. and got to run all day at his rural property and play with a Rottweiler regularly. She just turned 2 and we heard from him recently. He said she is trained perfectly and that I actually did a wonderful job with her. He never mentioned or asked about the poop thing. I guess even at 6 months the training sunk in and a year or so later, she just does everything like one would expect the breed to do. I think she's better off in the country with this guy but I miss her a lot and hate that I had to give her up.

My daughter gets sad too and has been asking about her a lot recently. Daughter is 4 now and she even said, "I wish Nema could still be here and watch me grow up". /cry

I miss the dog a lot and feel like I'm missing out but a dog just doesn't work for us at this time. I hope I can get another GSD in the future, before my daughter gets too much older. I won't again though until we have more time to devote. I'm just glad we found her a good home (I wasn't going to just Craigslist her or anything).

If I ever got a German Shepherd, I would want a Black Face just like yours. Great looking dog!

The good/bad thing about owning a dog of that size is, if something happens, there would be no way to get that dog off of them without shooting it, which would tell you, they have a gun.

Almost positive she would just lick the intruder to death. While her size is intimidating she is just a giant lap dog.

$image.jpg
Strikes fear in any and all evil-doers

Last edited:
My golden retriever is the sweetest dog, is great with my son, but don't even think about getting near the house or the family. Great dog and family member.

I know differing home environments require different weapons for defense.

I live in the suburbs, so I have a Glock 17(9mm), for those late night knocks at the front door. It's in a pocket, or behind my back.
For anyone foolish enough to break in, during the night, a loaded Remington 870, 12 ga. Is nearby, loaded with 00buck.

If and when I live in the country, after I retire, this might change.

Guns require licences and writing a test where I live. So for home defense the average person needs to get creative. From what I understand about the law where I live it's more ideal to have multipurpose items around the home. If you have a weapon "for defense" you can get into trouble, whereas it's different if you have your baseball stuff nearby and you happen to grab the bat when someone is breaking in. A long D cell flashlight is another good bit of kit to have on hand.

Top Bottom