What's new

How old are you?

Just read the thread on the future of traditional shaving. To me it would stand to reason that the age of our members may tell part of the story. I had no idea there were any options other than carts or electric when I started shaving. My son however will because he watches me shave with straights. There is a good possibility he will use straights/de's. I am 33. How old are you? Do any of you have teenagers and what did they end up using?

I searched for a similar thread and found one from 06. I was surprised that most members were between 25-50. I assumed most members would be 50+. I figured more people in that age group would have been exposed to de/straight razors.

37. Never observed my grandfather or father shaving with anything but disposables. Grandfather at least used a mug, mug soap and a brush for a good chunk of the time.

No kids and we won't be having any. I have helped some co-workers with DE's and will help anyone that needs it. Maybe I'll get to teach my nephew traditional wet shaving.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I am so old that I failed to learn how to shave with a DE razor back in 1966.

That was back during the Vietnam war.

I'm 41 and I'd ben wet shaving for about 8 months now. My son is 6, and since he was about 2 we'd been getting ready every morning. When I'd started using the brush and DE razor, he'd look at me as if I was doing something special. So I'd gotten him a brush from the body shop, a toy razor (well it was the harry's father and son set kid razor) and the old stand that came with the VDH starter set. Now every morning, I have a bar of dove soap that I'd made into a circle so it'd fit and he takes his brush and face lathers with me. Honestly it's the best way to get a kid to wash his face. Then, he shaves off the soap with his razor. and then splashes warm water on his face.

My hope is that one day he picks any razor from my collection and keeps up the habit. But right now, it's out special thing that he and I do every morning before I drive him to school. I posted this picture before. But here it is again, this is an older picture of my son and my razor sets. (well I don't use this razor any more.)
$Daddy&Me.jpg

55. I have 2 grown sons. I wasn't wet shaving or using a DE when they were growing up. I alternated between a Bic disposable and electric razors. Both my boys wanted and used an electric as young men. Both now have beards but do shave their neck (with an electric). Both think my DE razors are cool but have no desire to change.

+1 I turned 20 in September. If I have kids they are shaving the traditional way or living on the streets.

I originally switched because the ex-girlfriend wanted no stubble and because I wanted a cheaper method to shave. Then she broke up with me and I discovered Above the Tie, so both of my intentions went out the window.

I'm 41 and I'd ben wet shaving for about 8 months now. My son is 6, and since he was about 2 we'd been getting ready every morning. When I'd started using the brush and DE razor, he'd look at me as if I was doing something special. So I'd gotten him a brush from the body shop, a toy razor (well it was the harry's father and son set kid razor) and the old stand that came with the VDH starter set. Now every morning, I have a bar of dove soap that I'd made into a circle so it'd fit and he takes his brush and face lathers with me. Honestly it's the best way to get a kid to wash his face. Then, he shaves off the soap with his razor. and then splashes warm water on his face.

My hope is that one day he picks any razor from my collection and keeps up the habit. But right now, it's out special thing that he and I do every morning before I drive him to school. I posted this picture before. But here it is again, this is an older picture of my son and my razor sets. (well I don't use this razor any more.)
View attachment 628383
This is a very cool thing. Your son is very lucky to have this special time with you that will teach him such a valuable life lesson.

Last edited:
Top Bottom