What's new

Digital Photo Organizer?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have all of my digital photos dumped into one folder on my computer, and occasionally make backups from there. The problem is that the photos are from a variety of phones and cameras and the naming and date structures are not all the same or available. Is there any type of freeware program or something in Windows that will enable me to rename or somehow organize this digital shoe box full of pictures?

I have all of my digital photos dumped into one folder on my computer, and occasionally make backups from there. The problem is that the photos are from a variety of phones and cameras and the naming and date structures are not all the same or available. Is there any type of freeware program or something in Windows that will enable me to rename or somehow organize this digital shoe box full of pictures?

Having tried several highly rated freeware organizers or the years, I have concluded that all are just worth what I paid for them. Even worse, all the wasted time to learn them, not to mention a couple expensive recovery projects.

ive ended up a Lightroom user, yes, costly, but worth every cent to me.

Good of luck in you quest!

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, Lightroom. Far from free, but you can get it bundled with Photoshop for a monthly subscription cost.

Lightroom is awesome but overkill for renaming. Download Irfanview. It can do batch renames,batch conversion and it is a fantastic viewer. Don't use Windows anything for viewing or editing pics

Lightroom gives you lots more flexibility and editing options than just renaming and redating.
It offers 30 day trial.
Warning, not for a computer or photo novice.

If you are comfortable with your images being stored in the cloud (along with added benefit of getting them backed up), I would recommend visiting photos.google.com and start uploading. There is also a smartphone app to do the same. Enabling you to upload all your pictures and videos from all your devices to build up a single consolidated view.

Initially it will automatically build a timeline view based on any date stamp embedded in the image. You can then group photos into albums to create an alternate view (organization) of these same photos. If you like, you can share certain photos on popular social media sites or create a URL which can be shared with anyone. You can also label them and change the timestamp.

I have not uploaded all my photos, but so far have been very pleased. The supposed high value proposition is for the person who has many thousands of photos and wants to search them to find all the ones taken at the beach or includes the dog, etc.

If you upload a rapid succession of images (does not have to be from a camera that has a burst image feature) it will also create an automated gif, which was fun to see.

Google will also do some of that with video. I just had to replace a 16 port switch on my network and received a hear free of unlimited google cloud bit haven't tried it yet

As long as the photos have a valid date in the exif data Google Photos will sort them all properly, but there's no easy way to batch edit bad dates.

Google Photos (aka Picasa) might be the option. It's free and not completely horrible. Anything better is usually aimed at photographers.

Top Bottom