What's new

The blade DOES make a difference!

So normally I shave with an Astra SP or a Permasharp, but today I decided to use a blade from a sampler pack I bought two and a half years ago. It was a Shark Super Chrome blade. Usually everything goes very smoothly with a BBS as a result. So I did the regular routine and started to shave. The blade shaves very rough it doesn't perform like the Astra or Permasharp, I immediately could feel the difference. I did three passes and ended up with a combination of a BBS and a DFS which is very rare whenever I use the blades I mentioned.

So what I have learned from this? I have learned that a blade does matter! I decided to post this because it reminded me of some topics here in which some members stated that they can't get a BBS. My advice to those people is: try an another blade! Especially for any newcomer; try out the Astra SP first, if you like the Astra then tryout a Permasharp or Feather.

The next time I will try out an another blade from the sampler pack. This experience really reminded me why I switched to an Astra SP and later the Permasharp which I have been using for a very long period.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have only had one bad blade and that was Shark. I thought I might have rusty barbed wire in my razor. To be fair, I have never used (to my memory) an Astra blade.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I had a similar experience with a Shark blade. It's the only blade that I chucked before finishing a single pass.

I know some folks love 'em, but Sharks ain't for me.

For me the rebranded personnas are the worst yet. I've only tried 3. Dorco 300. Dorco 301, and the personnas. Sommaybe you could classify it as just 2. I get mixed results with the same variables with all of these which is very frustrating so it's time for something new. I just picked up some Astra SP's and Feathers. I'm very curious to see how these preform, I'm hoping it's more consistent.

I am starting to learn that many blades shave similarly IF I do a good face prep AND make a nice lather with DISTILLED WATER. The absence of minerals in the water make cutting whiskers like cutting butter with a hot sharp knife.

I only use 1/2 cup of distilled water to make the lather and to dip the razor in. I rinse the lathered razor in a sink of regular water, and then dip it in the distilled water. I've been shaving since 1951 (that's not a typo) and I consider distilled water to be the single most important thing that I have learned.

Sharks were extremely rough for me too. I'm wondering if i just got a bad blade so I'll try another one eventually. I love the Astra SP, still my longest lasting smooth blade so far.

I didn't like Sharks. I found the Super Chrome pretty rough and the Stainless Steel ones very dull. I've settled on the GSB in most of my razors except for my Merkur Futur which needs a slightly duller blade - Astra SS.

I used only Sharks for the first five or so years I DE shaved. Went through a couple of 100 packs of them, and was well into a third when I found B and B. That was in my minimalist, saving money phase, which died a horrible death last year.

I have revisited Sharks a couple of times, and find them to be sharp, but a bit rougher than the blades I have gravitated to.

I will say this: a fresh sharp Shark beats a clogged up, over-used cart you can't afford to replace. Every time.

As to the OP's premise: Yeah, switching the blade can make a world of difference in a shave, for a world of reasons. And next month, for some in-explicable reason, the answer might change again. Congrats!

+2. Sharks do not work for me either. I also have had terrific experience with Astras (in the running for my top 3 blade choices!)

The first blade that I ever used was a Shark SS. It was not a good experience.
I went back after a year and got one good shave and had to toss it on the second shave.
I then went back after some months, and got four good shaves and on the fifth got a SAS.
I bought a tuck of the Chrome variety and will give them a go.
I know that I will NEVER order another blade made in Egypt!

DISTILLED WATER. .

I've been extraordinarily blessed with soft tap water; yet, having been involved with extreme high purity waters,I could envision a linear if not logarithmic improvement for essentially a very minor change in my process. Since I have a recent set of filters in my r.o.system=> no time like the present. Thx!

My experience is the polar opposite - Sharks (both SS and SC) are silky smooth, give me BBS without irritation and last quite well too and are my blade of choice... I've never had a bad one.
Astra's are okay but irritate a little more and Derby's are always a blood letting exercise and occasionally I've had a truly diabolical blade in a pack.

Just goes to show YMMV as they say.

I've had a few Sharks and found them unacceptable. There is a certain balance of sharp, but not too sharp that leads to comfort and a clean shave. Sharps have seemed to me to be not too sharp plus too rough. Mühles and Merkurs are not sharp enough. GSBs are the right balance for me.

Derby, G7OC Greens and Personna Med Preps are close.

Blades are one of the easiest variables to control, IMO. Lather and technique naturally vary day to day, but most blades are very consistently made. When you find one that works for you, it's worth coming back to it.

Sharks aren't the best but I did have an okay time with it. I agree blades do make a lot of difference, using my Personna comfort coated was a lot better than my first DE blades which were Sharks.

Top Bottom