What's new

+R.I.P. Little Burma Shave+

It's with a sad heart that I have to report the untimely demise of my favorite brush, Burmie. :crying:. I have been testing the little guy, only a little over $6, against a tried and true Semogue 1800, since the middle of August. Both bought at the same time. I found the Burma Shave brush outperformed the 1800, the entire time. I used them almost every day, alternating days between them, so they have many lathers on each. all was going well, until tonight. a couple of hairs came out of the center of the brush, of the Burma Shave. No big deal, I just pulled it all the way out, and another was poking up, I pulled that one too. Then another, and another. I gave the center a light tug, and out comes a good chunk of hair, and glue. It was bone dry at the base of the knot. No midlew, no smell. But the glue felt brittle.
I had so much hope for this little brush. For those that I recommended this brush to, I apologize, if you bought one, and it falls apart.
On the bright side, at least its not a self destructing brush, over $100.
Farewell little buddy.:sob:

$P1060058.jpg$P1060059.jpg

I bought one at a small independent drug store recently. Thing was losing hair faster than me. You at least got some months out of yours.

All is not lost - that handle easily separates between white and red parts. You could drill it out and replace it with a new boar knot. Virginia Sheng has $3.00 horse knots and boar knots for not much more.

I've thought of reusing the handle. I'll be waiting until 2017. Sabbatical thing. I need to research high quality boar knots.

So sad about the little guy but I agree that handle looks pretty good I also vote for putting a new knot in it

I got one of these for a buck 99 at a local discount store. Thing sheds hair more than my freaking cat! Builds a decent lather though. I rarely use mine as the hair shedding constantly bugs me.

When I first started shaving, I used the same little vintage Burma Shave brush for like 7/8 years until the hair was worn down to about half height. Guess the new ones are not the same. I used to love the scent of the old Burma shave soap too, It came in a glass mason looking Jar. But that was before all this Fancy Dancy stuff existed, or at least it did'nt exist in my own little world.
You used to drive down country roads and there would be multiple Burma Shave signs spaced about 1/8 mile apart with small rhyming jingles to read as you drove.
Sad to see her go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom