What's new

How long does it take you to shave?

I can do it in 8 minutes.
My typical is about 1/2 hour. I like to stretch it out. I shave in the evenings so I can make the time.
- Boil water and fill the scuttle.
- Soak the brush while I shower.
- make the lather - more or less time, depending on cream or soap.
- three pass shave with a touchup pass.
- Cleanup.

8-10 minutes start to finish.

Soak brush / make lather / apply and pass #1 WTG / rinse, relather and pass #2 ATG / touch-ups / rinse, dry, apply AS / mop up / done

About 10 minutes. 20-30 minutes after my feet hit the floor I've showered, shaved, the other "s" and rolled into the kitchen to put the coffee on.

Very similar routine, except the first thing I do when i wake up is give the brush a warm soak, than zombie into the kitchen and put the coffee on, I choose my lineup for the next morning before i go to bed in case i want a 5 min snooze. After the coffee gets to brewing, I head into the bathroom, if necessary bloom the puck (Product Dependent) get a warm washcloth, steam and massage the face giving the face a no product cleaning. Rinse and repeat. Next I apply the pre shave, while giving it a moment to set in, I check the coffee, its typically ready by now so i pour and prepare the cup, I like to give it a cool down while I complete the ritual. By now the soaps bloomed, the brush prepared, the pre shave settled. I give the brush a few good flips, and begin the lathering process. 2 Passes, a few touchups, and I hit it with my personal favorite part....the AS splash, I like the good sting of a job well done. Once the missions complete, I admire my work for a quick moment, make a mental note of what went well/wrong, return all my stuff to its hold pattern, down the coffee in 3-4 jiggagulps, kiss the old lady, grab the gym bag, lace the boots, and get ready to kick the days ***....All specifically in that order, every day, 5 days a week at 445 in the morning, never a change, takes about 40 minutes total before im out the door

Last edited:
Enough time for everyone to complain I'm taking too long. Probably around 15 mins. That's with setting everything up, creating a lather, the full shaving and aftershave process and cleaning up. I'll time myself one of these days and come back to this post. Obviously longer if I'm trying something new so I'll add two more updates responses. :thumbup::lol:

I shave at night after work and a shower, the whole shower and shave process probably takes 30 minutes. Could I shave faster? Probably but I don't want to.

About 15 minutes. I sometimes take 20 if I really want to enjoy it. Occasionally I do it in 10, but the resulting "fun" with the styptic pencil quickly reminds me why 15 minutes is better.

About 15 minutes. I sometimes take 20 if I really want to enjoy it. Occasionally I do it in 10, but the resulting "fun" with the styptic pencil quickly reminds me why 15 minutes is better.
+1, half the fun is just to relax and enjoy, 15 min here too!

Straight razor I give myself 30 minutes including clean up. DE takes about 10. I do 3 passes. I try not to rush it, probably the one time when I'm left alone.

I've gotten my shaves down to approximately 20 minutes from setup to cleanup with a two pass system. I take a little longer on my days off for a three pass.

Shower shaver here.
Shower with a pinch of chewing tobacco.

Lather shave. Two pass and touch up.

Radio blasting the whole time.

Brush my teeth.

Rinse. Towel dry. Slap on some after shave.

Get dressed.

30 minutes.

That's on a work day.

On a non work day. Forget about it. I get distracted goofing around with different razor heads and handles. Comparing brushes. Counting blades. Getting yelled at because the wife is waiting for me to be done so she can start the laundry or dishwasher, but I haven't even turned the shower on yet.

I usually set out my brush of choice and razor if I'm switching things up the night before.

If I'm shaving at the sink, which is almost never, it's 5 minutes max. Can't really say why either. I think I just want to get finished before my lather gets everywhere. Cause then I'd get 'yelled at' again. Since in the shower I don't have to worry about it I never learned how to be careful with my shave soap. If I drip a huge gob of lather in the shower it's rinsed down the drain. If I do that at the sink it's all over everything. The sooner I can get finished the less collateral damage occurs.

​10=15 minutes , but I'm prepared before I start , normally ... , and normally Shave at night , but not Always ...

On the 3 days I work (semi-retired, but need something to do -right) I shower shave using just the bar of soap to lather up my face and use my Maggard MR6. Total actual shave time is around 3-4 minutes. On my days off, I do the full ritual routine of wetting my face with hot water, brushing teeth while face soaks up the water and hydrates my beard. Face lather after re-wetting face.Usually do a relaxing 3 pass with touchup and can take anywhere from 15-20 minutes. Although, on the days that I'm really enjoying it, I have been known to take 30 plus minutes. Thank goodness we have 2 bathrooms or the wife would kill me.

On a typical work day 5 minutes. On a weekend more like 10 and that is really taking it slow. I have a Cobra Classic and have used it for several years. While on vacation I took one of my old DEs as I was concerned about losing my luggage. My time went up to 10 minutes and I felt like I could have spent more time and added an extra pass. The Cobra has proven to be a RAD killer for me. I just hope it never breaks.

Now that I'm retired There's no need to hurry but I still like to keep it simple.
Choose razor and brush, setup bowl brush razor on sink and put new blade in razor if needed,
Run warm water on my brush add water to my Cella or VDH bowl and let brush soak in it,
comb my balding hair,
dump water from bowl and shake brush, swirl brush on soap till enough product,
soak face with hot wet washcloth till washcloth starts to cool
face lather letting it stay a bit wet
brush teeth
face lather till nice lather
shave first pass
relather
shave second pass
feel face, touchup
rinse and dry
aftershave
cleanup gear and area
All taking about 20-25 min. It used to take 10-15 min. but now I like to take my time.

Top Bottom