What's new

How long does it take you to shave?

While I was talking to a friend and trying to convert him to wet shaving I described my routine to him.

His response, "How Long Does It Take You To Shave"?

I did not have an answer so I decided to time myself.

To give it a beyond hones trial, I performed the test on a non shower day where I just start by washing my face.

And I was using the stopwatch feature on my phone.

My shaving ritual is like this.

Turn on hot water at the sink.

Lay out my razor and soap of the day.

Add hot water to my soap to bloom it and at the same time fill my shaving cup with hot water to put my brush in to soak.

Wash face with soap and water and rinse.

Add Pre Shave Oil to my face.

Remove extra water from my brush. Load Brush and then build a lather.

Apply lather and start shaving. Each of my 5 passes gets new lather.

Wash face off with hot water and then dry with towel.

Mix Witch Hazel with a bit of Menthol concentrate and apply to face. You really need to try this one!

While that is drying, I clean all of my gear, wash, rinse and dry my brush on a clean towel and put it all away for tomorrow's shave.

Face is now dry so I slap on some Bay Rum followed by Aftershave Balm.

Please keep in mind that I was not hurrying the process but I was not screwing around either.

Total time elapsed from turning on the hot water till I left my bathroom with a barbershop shave.

12:38:14

Best 13 minutes of my day!

How long does it take you?

Just to be honest, I do not have to shave my upper lip or chin area as I have the classic Colonel Sanders Moustache and Chin Whiskers. But I do spend extra time shaving around them.

Nine or ten minutes. Starting to become a minimalist. I have a brush, razor, and CF Lime sinkside. I fill the sink with hot water and soak the brush as I shower. Face lathering and 2 passes with touchups, maybe an aftershave splash, takes about 10 minutes. I might get the scuttle back in the routine as the weather has turned cooler, but that shouldn't lengthen the process appreciably.

I'm a minimalist, so my kit is very simple. 95% of the time it's the same razor, brush and soap every day. It takes about 10 minutes from the time I step up to the sink til I'm finished wiping down the sink and putting everything away. My prep is to just wash my face with Dove bar soap for a minute or so, rinse it with lots of hot water, work up a face-lather for about one minute then do a two-pass shave. I splash on aftershave at the end.

I am finding that I am a minimalist when it comes to routine. Brush, razor, soap, aftershave splash, aftershave balm. It usually takes 10 minutes on average, but on a good day, 9 minutes.

I enjoy the ritual and take my time. I'm never in a hurry when I shave--it's too enjoyable. I usually take 30 minutes or so, more or less.

P.S. I'm retired.

I shave at night, specifically so I can take my time. I usually spend about 15-20 minutes from prep to cleanup. And since I only shave my head, which has appreciably fewer angles and growth patterns to deal with, that's a fairly relaxed 3 pass + touch ups shave.

It's my primary means of "winding down" after work...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I don't time it,,but know I spend 20 minutes in the bathroom when I don't shave and 40 when I do, so I guess 20 minutes to shave and clean up.

It takes a shower, about 4 passes, and a quick cleanup afterwards :)
Seriously though, that's why I shave at night - so I don't have to be under a time constraint.

Interesting! I shave in the shower every day, and my total time runs 10-11 minutes (yes, I've timed it), about 4 minutes of which is shaving - and for me, that is a leisurely pace, with a full 3 pass w/touchup routine <lol> Add another minute for application of witch hazel and AS balm afterwards, and I'm done.

That does not count time waiting for the water to warm up, because it's done while I'm brushing my teeth, nor does it count time to clean up the workspace afterwards because I'd be cleaning the shower anyway, whether I shaved or not. It also doesn't include time setting up the razors because that rotation is managed only when blades are changed. And since I face lather, I eliminate a whole step and the cleanup of tools that would go with bowl lathering.

That's been my routine for the last dozen years, or so, and it seems to be working.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Interesting! I shave in the shower every day, and my total time runs 10-11 minutes (yes, I've timed it), about 4 minutes of which is shaving - and for me, that is a leisurely pace, with a full 3 pass w/touchup routine <lol> Add another minute for application of witch hazel and AS balm afterwards, and I'm done.

That does not count time waiting for the water to warm up, because it's done while I'm brushing my teeth, nor does it count time to clean up the workspace afterwards because I'd be cleaning the shower anyway, whether I shaved or not. It also doesn't include time setting up the razors because that rotation is managed only when blades are changed. And since I face lather, I eliminate a whole step and the cleanup of tools that would go with bowl lathering.

That's been my routine for the last dozen years, or so, and it seems to be working.

+1 I wash, shave and brush my teeth in the shower. Dry off, comb hair and splash on aftershave. 20 minutes.

About 10 minutes. 20-30 minutes after my feet hit the floor I've showered, shaved, the other "s" and rolled into the kitchen to put the coffee on.

Haven't timed the routine (shower, 3-pass shave + touch up, rinse, aftershave), but I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 minutes.
Like others here, I shave at night because a rushed shave is not something I want to experience.

Top Bottom