What's new

Germains Rich Dark Flake

I've never been able to find a place who will ship to the US. Esoterica's way of keeping a global grip on their unique world famous Stonehaven. Rich Dark Flake is Stonehaven. Looks the same, smells the same, made by the same company (Germain owns Esoterica). We can only get Esoterica Stonehaven in the US and Europe can't get Esoterica and Europe gets Germain's Rich Dark Flake and we can't get it here in America. It's a racket :(

That's the thing, though, I've heard it's not the same as Stonehaven. Very similar, but not the same. The reviews I've been reading online say that Stonehaven is more Burley than Virginia, whereas RDF is more Virginia than Burley.

Ah well, looks like I now have something to look forward to buying during my next trip overseas.

I've never been able to find a place who will ship to the US. Esoterica's way of keeping a global grip on their unique world famous Stonehaven. Rich Dark Flake is Stonehaven. Looks the same, smells the same, made by the same company (Germain owns Esoterica). We can only get Esoterica Stonehaven in the US and Europe can't get Esoterica and Europe gets Germain's Rich Dark Flake and we can't get it here in America. It's a racket :(

Just curious, is there any real evidence that the limitations are intentional, but the regional ones and the supply ones, regarding the various blends?

That's the fun part, seems that all I can ever find is that germain/esoterica is like Willy Wonkas chocolate factory, no one knows the greatest mystery of all! I'm just waiting on the moment I open a bag of penzance or Stonehaven and get my golden ticket to experience the inside of the factory :)

Germain rich dark flake cost 86$usd for 250g it's alot more then Stonehaven, it supposed to be the same. I will take my chance to get a Stonehaven 8oz one day.

One day,i will succeed.

I'd still like to try some. I think I'll swing by Iwan Ries at lunch today and ask them. They may have some connections that can get their hands on it.

Never had them site by side, but I have smoked both. Very similar, but not the same according to my palate. Both very, very good.

I doubt Iwan Reis will be able to help you much, they don't export under the Germains label to the US as far as I know.

The short supply may be just ingenious marketing, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's simply a matter of an overwhelming demand and a small company that's not really looking to expand.

Last edited:
Never had them site by side, but I have smoked both. Very similar, but not the same according to my palate. Both very, very good.

I doubt Iwan Reis will be able to help you much, they don't export under the Germains label to the US as far as I know.

The short supply may be just ingenious marketing, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's simply a matter of an overwhelming demand and a small company that's not really looking to expand.

Ah, ok, I hadn't realized how small in scale the blending company was. That makes more sense then as to the over all limited quantity and sporadic releases of the various blends to places.

We can get Germain's Brown Flake ...
http://Germain: Brown Flake 50g Pro...aditional manner. Strength: Room Note: Taste:

$pt-jga0050.png.jpeg

But not ...

Rich Dark Flake ?
$stonehaven_rich_dark_flake1.jpg
$img_2416.jpg
It is compared to Stonehaven , but different ... . Looks like you could order it from GB ?

You were correct. I stopped in today and asked about the RDF. No dice. I wasn't expecting them to be able to get it from Germains, but rather hoping that occasionally they have someone that brings it back from the UK for them to sell on the side. Oh well, as a consolation prize, they did have a bag of Stonehaven that I picked up.

You were correct. I stopped in today and asked about the RDF. No dice. I wasn't expecting them to be able to get it from Germains, but rather hoping that occasionally they have someone that brings it back from the UK for them to sell on the side. Oh well, as a consolation prize, they did have a bag of Stonehaven that I picked up.
That's a win right there.

I was wondering about how that went with Glynn ? I've been gawking at GQ and Glynn's TV (vids) , wondering why you couldn't preorder ? That's how they seem to do it , since it sells out and is basically like Esotera Penzance or something else saught after . Just wondering and thinking about it . If no one has tried, I may . Never know until you try .

I was wondering about how that went with Glynn ? I've been gawking at GQ and Glynn's TV (vids) , wondering why you couldn't preorder ? That's how they seem to do it , since it sells out and is basically like Esotera Penzance or something else saught after . Just wondering and thinking about it . If no one has tried, I may . Never know until you try .
He has it in stock quite often.

Top Bottom