What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

It's been a while since I've visited this part of the forum.

Someone is building a trailer smoker.............

Before picture.

proxy.php

Here's my firebox that I fabricated.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Still need to make one more tray for the cooking chamber to hold flatter items such as ribs, pies and chips.

Then I need to put some LED tail lights on.

Then make a basket for the firebox.

Then attach the firebox.

Then some paint.

Last edited:
$IMG_0598.jpg$IMG_0599.jpg$IMG_0601.jpg

The only chance I have to BBQ is when we visit our place in France... Managed two this time as the weather was a bit mixed the second week

You can never go wrong with Steven Raichlen. The Barbecue Bible is a great starting point:
https://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Bible-Steven-Raichlen/dp/0761149430

Also checkout his TV series: Project Smoke and Planet Barbeque -- played frequently on PBS.

Meathead Goldwyn's AmazingRibs site is a treasure of information, there's a lot about smoking, and quite a bit about grilling and other techniques. (I cooked both my Thanksgiving turkey and my Christmas roast on the grill last year, using his techniques -- they came out awesome, and freed up A LOT of space in my oven for other dishes.)

And then finally, there's this little site I've heard of called Badger and Blade -- they have a great food section with some great grill and smoker maestros!

Great links, Jim, thank you for sharing! I'm thinking that it might be time to pick up a book from Amazon.

Grilled up a couple of NY strips for SWMBO and myself on Friday night - it was the first time using the new grill for something other than burgers and polishes. Tried my hand at a reverse sear and was extremely pleased with the results : rare for me and medium for SWMBO. Just a simple oil, salt, and pepper rub but man was it delicious. SWMBO said it was the best piece of meat we've ever had at home. Needless to say she's sold on the purchase. :w00t:

proxy.php

Well it's been awhile. Pics from this weekend, they were taken in a tent so not as vibrant as being out in the sun, that being said, we still were not pleased with how dark the chicken was.

Chicken 8th
Ribs 3rd
Pork 6th
Brisket 10th
Overall 5th out of 25 teams

$Friday Night Band.jpg$Chicken.jpg$Ribs 1.jpg$Pork.jpg$Brisket.jpg

Aaron, before ya give me grief, I will hopefully be getting back to the smoker this winter haha.:lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well it's been awhile. Pics from this weekend, they were taken in a tent so not as vibrant as being out in the sun, that being said, we still were not pleased with how dark the chicken was.

Chicken 8th
Ribs 3rd
Pork 6th
Brisket 10th
Overall 5th out of 25 teams

View attachment 691292View attachment 691293View attachment 691294View attachment 691295View attachment 691296

Aaron, before ya give me grief, I will hopefully be getting back to the smoker this winter haha.:lol:

Oh yeah baby. There is nothing wrong with anything I see, except I didn't get to come and hang out with you guys. Nice boxes Brian. You goin' eat that?:001_smile

Oh, and what do you think you're on a "Merry-go-round"? Get back into the shop and weld some steel....sheez.

Been almost 10 [emoji3]
It was a big butt.

The pork came out perfect and was made even better when we poured the drippings on it. We've never done that before and don't know why. I'll be doing that again. I just placed the water on my heat deflector and the drippings catch tray on the lower rack.

Made some coleslaw on the mandolin with cabbage, carrot, celery, Asian pear and parsley. Topped it with a Mayo based dressing we whipped up and served it all on a giant Kaiser from our local bakery.

There were no complaints.

After 8 or so:
proxy.php

Off the smoker:
proxy.php

Reserved the drippings and skimmed the fat/gunk:
proxy.php

Slaw:
proxy.php

Pulled just enough for supper:
proxy.php

Plated:
proxy.php

Rita's plated:
proxy.php

Looks amazing Bruce!

Rita is one very patient dog. Does she get hers first or does she have to wait until everyone else has been served?

dave

Looks amazing Bruce!

Rita is one very patient dog. Does she get hers first or does she have to wait until everyone else has been served?

dave
Thanks Dave.

She usually has to wait until we are done. But we've been known to throw her a piece here and there when pulling.

Patient...ha. She was dancing all over the place in anticipation. Laying down, shaking a pawn and whatever else she thought she could do to get it sooner. I managed to get her to sit still for a pic and by the time I got to review it, she was done eating.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looking good. A smart owner makes the dog wait until they are done eating. In the wild, the pack leader eats first, and you should be the leader.

Top Bottom