What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to check and see what I have by way of rails, etc ... And the orientation of the firebox. Been so busy I haven't had the chance to fiddle with my new baby since I picked her up.

So why did you opt for tiles rather than fire brick?

When you go to Home Despot, see if they have any scrap tile. For this purpose, you don't have to worry about stuff matching.

After some reading, maybe too much, I'm abandoning the tiles and will try and source some 1/4" steel plates if the below doesn't work.

I also forgot to use a water pan, like Mike's pic, so will see how that affects it first.

I hope to pick up some food grade, high heat silicone and seal up a few minor joints and seams. If it still needs adjusting after the water pan and silicone, I'll try a good quality gasket. If all else fails, I'll contact a local metal worker/welder and get three plated made like Aarons, along with a mesh type charcoal basket.

Fun stuff!

I will toss this old trick into the tuning plate convo. Get a tube of biskets and spread them around. It will be very clear in 5 or 8 min where your hot and cool spots are.
Having some tasty sausage ready is a bonus
Hey a guys got to eat right!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After some reading, maybe too much, I'm abandoning the tiles and will try and source some 1/4" steel plates if the below doesn't work.

I also forgot to use a water pan, like Mike's pic, so will see how that affects it first.

I hope to pick up some food grade, high heat silicone and seal up a few minor joints and seams. If it still needs adjusting after the water pan and silicone, I'll try a good quality gasket. If all else fails, I'll contact a local metal worker/welder and get three plated made like Aarons, along with a mesh type charcoal basket.

Fun stuff!

Yeah, it's fun...but don't overthink it. You don't need perfect to turn out good...no, that's great...Q.

Have you posted a pic. of your stick burner? If you did...I forgot. :blushing:

Soooo many posts...so little time.

One thing I have noticed that some people are not really aware of...DO NOT use anything galvanized in your cooker: screws, bolts, nuts, galvanized flashing, galvanized plates for tuning plates. etc. It releases arsenic fumes when heated. :scared:
The reason most people are not aware of this is because it's not true. Where does the arsenic come from in zinc coated steel?
Do you have a source for this assertion?

Galvanized steel can be a problem in welding. Zinc melts close at 787 degrees
F and vaporizes at over 1400. If you're smoking meats that high, it ain't low and slow :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Now I remember!

Looks like a good smoker Bruce.

And it's NOT just BBQ! I take offense with that! :lol:

I just read Jim's suggestion on the biscuits...EXCELLENT stuff.

Now we need to take into consideration the wind, temperature, snow, thickness of the metal on your smoker, the way your fire is built, etc., etc., etc.

In other words...you need to get to know your smoker.

Jim...have you tried the biscuit test...and did the biscuits turn out edible? :biggrin1:

If I want biscuits cooked over fawr I'll put 'em in a dutch oven. :thumbup:

Great test on how a smoker is working though. Very good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The reason most people are not aware of this is because it's not true. Where does the arsenic come from in zinc coated steel?
Do you have a source for this assertion?

Galvanized steel can be a problem in welding. Zinc melts close at 787 degrees
F and vaporizes at over 1400. If you're smoking meats that high, it ain't low and slow :)

I'll let you look that one up.

But the question is...Do You Want That On Your Food?

http://www.finishing.com/85/35.shtml

http://www.finishing.com/71/64.shtml

If I was welding my zinc plated food I'd be worried. Until then, no.
As for arsenic, I did look it up. There is nothing out there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I will toss this old trick into the tuning plate convo. Get a tube of biskets and spread them around. It will be very clear in 5 or 8 min where your hot and cool spots are.
Having some tasty sausage ready is a bonus
Hey a guys got to eat right!

Those type of biskets will get stuck in your colon and send you to the hospital, that's if you dare to eat the nasty things. A digital thermometer is just fine.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The galvanized thing is worth thinking about. Expanded metal frequently is supplied in a galvanized finish. I would definitely not like to have that in contact with my food. I wonder if folk consider this when they build their BBQs. Best use expanded carbon steel.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Those type of biskets will get stuck in your colon and send you to the hospital, that's if you dare to eat the nasty things. A digital thermometer is just fine.
I don't know, man. I used that biscuit method to find the hot spots in my pit when I first got it. It's fo reel.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't know, man. I used that biscuit method to find the hot spots in my pit when I first got it. It's fo reel.

I get the technique...simple...easy. But the bisquit doesn't tell me if the hot spot is 225 or 325 degrees. A big difference when smoking a hard earned brisket.

Guys, I just scrolled through an entire page of this thread and there were no pics. What gives!?

I did a pork loin on the Weber gas on Sunday, with the rub I used on pork shoulder the week before.
I kept the grill 325 and the meat turned out wonderfully juicy. Not quite low and slow, more medium and medium.
Sliced for dinner Sunday.
Pork sandwich Monday
Pork salad Monday dinner
Pork tacos Tuesday.

Each delicious.
Each unpictured.

Sorry.
:)

I went from this thread, to Bruce's thread about his new smoker to the Aaron Franklin Manifesto thread in the last half hour ... :laugh:

I'm thinking tonight I'm getting the Black Diamond out of the garage and giving it a good going over, taking stock of what's what and possibly planning a smoke this weekend.

BTW ... I travel to Dallas for work now and then, and can confirm, that Lockharts is fantastic. I had a "moment" enjoying their brisket.

I think I'm drooling

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Guys, I just scrolled through an entire page of this thread and there were no pics. What gives!?

You are entirely correct, my good man...what is this thread coming to???

Here's the finished product of the brisket I posted on the previous page:

$IMG_0001.jpg

Now I remember!

Looks like a good smoker Bruce.

And it's NOT just BBQ! I take offense with that! :lol:

I just read Jim's suggestion on the biscuits...EXCELLENT stuff.

Now we need to take into consideration the wind, temperature, snow, thickness of the metal on your smoker, the way your fire is built, etc., etc., etc.

In other words...you need to get to know your smoker.

Jim...have you tried the biscuit test...and did the biscuits turn out edible? :biggrin1:

If I want biscuits cooked over fawr I'll put 'em in a dutch oven. :thumbup:

Great test on how a smoker is working though. Very good.

Yes I have used it on a couple rigs and the results can be very surprising.

Someday Aaron you will have something nice to say to one of my posts.. can I get an under and over on that gents?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes I have used it on a couple rigs and the results can be very surprising.

Someday Aaron you will have something nice to say to one of my posts.. can I get an under and over on that gents?

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to take it out on you but that story is really true. I was in so much pain it sent me to the hospital. Those were some killer biscuits.

Top Bottom