What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the recipe link for the muffin pan taters there Bruce. Gonna try those when I do the next brisket.

Did I say I just got a brisket? :001_smile

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
What a fun day of BBQing today.

On the menu:
bacon and chicken wrapped shrimp
turkey breasts and tenderloins
chicken breasts
cheddar cheese sausage
beef ribs x 2 different cuts
pork ribs
fajitas
1 porterhouse for my parents
cooked 3 cups of rice and 2 lbs of pinto beans for the sides

Leftovers were vacuumed sealed for lunches for the next week or two.

So why was it fun?
Well I started at 1400, the sprinklers came on at 1500 and well it took a while to get the fire going again. At 1700 it started to rain. I was laughing because there was just one dark cloud overhead and the sun was out. We got everything put away at 2100. I only took a few photos. It was an awesome day all around though. My parents came over to see their grand daughter after stopping to visit their great grand daughter. So 4 generations of our family visited today!! And we ate BBQ!!!! What a beautiful day!!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 84
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 88
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 87

martym

Deer sausage!! Oh my!! And swordfish is really something!!
True story: Charity hunt at the ranch. City Slicker had no idea what he was doing. Sat in the blind with him and helped him harvest his 1st deer. While I was gutting it he asked, "What part of the deer is venison?" I am serious!!

[MENTION=56087]martym[/MENTION]
Can you describe or post a recipe for the bacon and chicken wrapped shrimp? Sounds interesting.

martym

@martym
Can you describe or post a recipe for the bacon and chicken wrapped shrimp? Sounds interesting.

I use a medium or large shrimp. I peel them and place in a pan. Then I slice chicken breast really thin and a just about as wide as a strip of bacon. I place the chicken in the pan with the shrimp and "marinate" with olive oil and roasted garlic and herb seasoning.
To put together: I use center cut bacon.
Lay out the strip of bacon, put on a strip of chicken, wrap with the bacon, and seal with a toothpick. Place on the pit until the bacon is done.
So simple but oh so very delicious.
Adjust to your tastes!!!
marty

Grilled last Friday while camping with the Scouts.
While the lads are supposed to do the cooking I decided that they weren't really tall enough or mature enough (or something) so I elbowed em out of the way to cook 20lbs of flank steak over coals.
Montreal seasoning was all we had so that is what they got.
Turned out wonderfully.

martym

Everything tastes great when you are camping or when you are at the ranch!!!

Thanks. Used Mesquite chips and charcoal and got best smoke ring so far.
Should really have had another hour to break down more collagen but we were hungry!

The smoke ring looks fantastic.
Thank you sir. Tasted pretty bloody good too.
Missing some sweetness, needed a nice honey based bbq sauce to give it an extra zing. Maybe it's because I was out of brown sugar when making the rub.

The other nice thing was I managed to keep a stable temp this time around without fiddling. Had two weber charcoal holders on each side, ribs on top indirect. Didn't ha e to do anything much for 4 hours when one side went out and all I had to do was move one big lump from the burning side to the nonburning side to get it going again.

And for my next trick - dual probe remote thermometer comes tomorrow or Tuesday.
I have a feeling my wife will repurpose it for 3 weeks as a birthday present. :)

Sounds like a good day and smoke. I will be doing some this weekend and plan on making them messy and sticky.

What did you have for sides?

Just have to decide on Ceramic with Lump or take the extra care and attention with the Horizontal and Oak. Either way, ribs will be eaten, so I'll be happy.

Hopefully you get to put the thermometer to use, if makes monitoring temps a breeze.

Top Bottom