What's new

What's Cooking 2016

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Happy New Year!!! A new year with new cooking and eating. Post pictures of what you're cooking.

Good luck and have lots of fun.

I made some baked mac and cheese in my wife's grandfathers 14" unmarked Wagner.

Attachments

• $DSCF8571.jpg
    $DSCF8571.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 270
No photos from yesterday but I am still playing with my sous-vide kit... Rubbed a little EVOO into two skinless boneless chicken breasts and salted and peppered them. Two vacuum pack bags and placed a couple of sprigs of tarragon into each one and added the chicken, plus a dab of butter, then vacuum sealed them.

Into a waterbath at 65C for 90 mins

Heat some more oil and butter in a saute pan, extract the chicken and pat dry, then quickly fry each side to get some colour in.

I wilted some spinach, cooked some rather disappointing organic baby carrots Vichy, and served a relatively healthy dinner.

I'm suppose to be cooking soup for the soup thread but the kid(s)' away so the parents must play and Santa brought me a new toy so it's a pretty good workout here. Cell phone camera without the phone, perfect. Totally stoked with it's capabilities and results so far yesterday and today.

The new camera, all new recipes, never had gin or pomegranates before... Date Night... only food pictures ...

The raw...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now we're cooking...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Meal time...

Grapefruit 75 with fresh squeezed pink grapefruit and Dillon's Lime Bitters (local-ish)
Salad; Leeks, fennel, celeriac, Honey Crisp apple, pomegranate seeds, xtra old white cheddar, lemon vinegrette
Braised Lentils; ****ake, oyster, brown & button mushrooms, whipping cream, black kale, fried egg, parmesean
Café au lait pudding with whipped cream and Skor biscotti from the Biscotti shop down in Hipsterville

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Going to have a blast with the camera!
Soup next weekend...
dave

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looking really really good Dave, as usual.

Breakfast frittata with everything I could put in there. The goat and Brie cheese added something different as well as pieces of some chicken tamales.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Thanks Aaron.

Nice frittata Aaron, one of my wife's and daughter's favourite things for dinner or at least that's what i tell myself when cooking for them. Will have to explore other cheese options as well, i may be stuck in a rut.
Thanks
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron.

Nice frittata Aaron, one of my wife's and daughter's favourite things for dinner or at least that's what i tell myself when cooking for them. Will have to explore other cheese options as well, i may be stuck in a rut.
Thanks
dave

A smoked Gouda would be nice.

Last edited:
Well the first cook in the new cast iron skillet was sausage gravy. Tonight, I decided to try some rib eyes. They turned out amazing!

Salted about an hour prior. Heated the skillet in the oven at 500, brought to the burner for 5 minutes. Coated steak in EVOO and pepper. Then seared the steak 30 sec each side followed by 3 min each side in the oven. It smelled delicious while cooking and tasted delicious.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Prologue: Last week I made pulled pork in my crock pot. I put onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cilantro, and vinegar in the food processor and turned it on. As it was going it drizzled in apple juice. The butt marinated in this overnight and was also cooked in it. It was a big piece of meat and we had lots of leftovers.

While discussing dinner options for this evening, my lovely SWMBO hit upon the genius idea of using the leftover pork in sheperd's pie. I sauteed some onions, carrots, and celery; added the pork as well as some chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and thyme. Transferred it to a baking dish and topped it with garlic mashed potatoes (also SWMBO idea). We added half a leftover baked sweet potato to the mashed potatoes, hence the slightly orange color to the potatoes.

The dish was delicious, and all the credit goes to SWMBO!
$pork-sheperds-pie.jpg

Already setting the bar pretty high this year I see! Let me bring it back down a little:)
I smoked a brisket yesterday so today was leftovers. Cold brisket, chili beans, pickles, onion and homemade BBQ sauce. On good old nutritionally bankrupt rainbow bread. Yum.
$image.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll have one of those sandwiches all day long Otto.

The weather took a turn for the worst here. Rain and temps dropped, so a Lamb Forequarter Roast it is tonight.
$20160104_125856.jpg

Cooked this as per Jamie Oliver's method. Pre heat oven to maximum temp. Put lamb shoulder in pan and cover with tin foil. Ensure it is sealed.
As soon as you put in oven reduce the temp to 170'C / 340'F and cook for 4 hour.
It came out perfect. I will use this method again.

$20160104_172411.jpg

served with mashed potatoes, beans and a cappers & mint gravy.

$20160104_175814.jpg

Last edited:
I have wanted to try my hand at chowder. Do you have a recipe?
I'll share my recipe here. Keep in mind that my measurements are approximate - I eyeball some of the ingredients:
12 oz - salt pork, chopped
3 Tbsp - butter
1/2 cup (approx.) - flour
4 cups - milk
8 oz - clam juice (preferably Bar Harbor brand for authenticity)
1.5-2 cups - chopped Quahogs or Cherrystones
4 - med. white potatoes, peeled and cubed (approx. 2 cups)
1 - med. onion, finely chopped
2 tsp (approx) - fresh ground pepper
2 tsp parsley

Cook the salt pork with the butter until the pieces are crispy and all the fat has been rendered out. Set the pork pieces aside and strain the fat through a coffee filter or paper towel. Pour the clarified fat into a large stockpot on low heat and add the flour a little at a time until you have a roux about the consistency of sour cream. Stir in the parsley and clam juice until well incorporated. In a separate pan, scald the milk and then add it to the large pot. Then add the pork, clams, potatoes, onions and pepper. Cover and heat on low until the potatoes are soft. At this point, it's done and ready to eat. Sometimes it's even better after it's sat in the fridge overnight and re-heated the next day. The most important thing with chowder is DO NOT LET IT BOIL! A little bubbling is ok as long as you stir it and keep the bottom from sticking, but a boil will almost certainly ruin it.
I like mine chunky and hearty, but feel free to tweak the milk quantity a little bit if you like. Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom