What's new

What's Cooking 2016

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@cleanshaved
Chris, those sausage rolls look divine. Are those something you picked up at the market or did you make them from scratch? Either way they are still divine.
@davent
Very nice Dave. When life gives you lemons make shrimp. :laugh:

Veggie stir fry tonight. Added a little seaweed for a nice little extra.

$image.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@cleanshaved
Chris, those sausage rolls look divine. Are those something you picked up at the market or did you make them from scratch? Either way they are still divine.

Both. The pastry was from the store, I just thawed and rolled it out. I could make the puff pastry myself but roll, add butter, fold & roll,repeat a good half a dozen times at lease is just too time consuming. The store bought stuff is not bad. The pre rolled sheets are good.

The filling I made myself, ground beef & pork 50/50. Lightly sautéed onion, egg, Wooster sauce, T-sauce, salt, pepper, rosemary & thyme.
I think it could have done with some breadcrumbs in the mix. Pork or beef by itself is also good.

Oh and can I have some of your stir fry?

Hi all. Finally put to use a paella pan that I found as a sidewalk freebie several years ago. Paella de mariscos (with some downgraded ingredients based on what my fishmonger had). Turned out good!
$IMG_00002240.jpg$IMG_00002241.jpg$IMG_00002242.jpg

ahhh...very nice paella...I remember my parents would have summer dinner parties and my father, the spaniard, would make it the main course....he would spend an hour prepping for the perfect paella, including folding pieces of paper under the legs of the Weber to make it perfectly level...dinner was always a hit, and I even when I'm in Spain I don't eat paella because compared to my dad's it's always a let down!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
2nd round of jerky this afternoon....this one has better flavor IMO and I will use this marinade as my base and then make flavor adjustments from there. 170° for 2 1/2 hours in the convection oven which dries it out much faster than the regular oven with the door cracked open. I do like the the size of these over the strips....so the eye round roast is a good choice, but I will try other cuts as well. Here are the before and after...still have another batch in the bag.

View attachment 675343View attachment 675344
Very nice. Seems like a good Fall project. I don't want to heat up the kitchen too much in the summer.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Fettuccine Amatriciana. I used pancetta instead of guanciale and fettuccine instead of bucatini.

2 tbs of EVO
1 28 oz. can of San Marzano tomatoes (crushed by hand)
4 oz. pancetta diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
3/4 cup of onions minced
1 tsp of crushed red pepper
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
6 basil leaves

$AF1.jpg$Af2.jpg$AF3.jpg$AF4.jpg$AF5.jpg
[MENTION=1959]johnniegold[/MENTION]

FTFY ~ Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Prepared a feast yesterday. Smoked a brisket flat, made some BBQ sauce (in the Bloody Mary mix bottle), deviled eggs, cantaloupe. I doctored up some baked beans we bought at the deli with chopped red onion, chopped garlic, honey and some of the BBQ sauce. The coleslaw we just served as it was, also from the deli. Piled it all on Kaiser rolls, pretty good dinner. Brisket came out nice which was a relief because I messed up my last couple attempts.

$B1.jpg$B2.jpg

@otto76

​FTFY ~ Aaron

Thanks! [MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION]

and thanks for fixing my pics [MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION]

I took Monday off and was supposed to go mountain biking with my brother and then lunch at Ithaca Brewing. It then decided to thunderstorm all day so I stayed home. The result: Pizza.
Basil pesto, fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomato, roasted red pepper, fresh mushrooms, and baby spinach. Delicious.

$Pizza1.jpg$Pizza2.jpg

​ftfy ~ Aaron

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Leftovers.... Oven Roasted Potatoes topped with Aged White Cheddar & Parmesan Cheese, Pulled Pork, chopped Vidalia Onion, and BBQ sauce, served with fresh Corn on the Cob. :001_smile

$Pulled Pork &Roast Potato.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Truth!!! :yesnod:

Every year just a couple/three days before my birthday the years crop of sweet corn starts coming in at my favorite local farm. What a great birthday present! :drool:
My grandfather was a preacher, and had one parishioner in New Springfield, OH (outside of Youngstown, OH) that grew corn. It was the move divine tasting corn I have ever had.

Okay folks...a first all around for me tonight...my first chicken pot pie, my first biscuit dough, and first time baking on a grill....I did this CPP on my new Akorn as my second cook...425° for 45 minutes and is was spectacular...the wife couldn't believe I made this on a grill and she said it was awesome....my son ate it up as well!! I will never be happy with a frozen one again!

$pp1.jpg$pp2.jpg$pp3.jpg$pp4.jpg

Top Bottom