What's new

What's Cooking 2016

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Apparently the cilantro thing is genetic. In any case parsley makes a good substitute for me.

Nuts and bolts turned out well. Most of this is going into the freezer for my own protection until I can give it away.

$Nuts and Bolts.jpg

Apparently the cilantro thing is genetic. In any case parsley makes a good substitute for me.

Yup, I heard that too... I like Cilantro, no one else in my family does.

When we make Carnitas, I use Cilantro and everyone else gets Parsley.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yup, I heard that too... I like Cilantro, no one else in my family does.

When we make Carnitas, I use Cilantro and everyone else gets Parsley.

Epazote may be something to look into for all you cilantro haters. I can't think of any herb I hate...for me dill can be over done though.

I grew epazote once years ago but couldn't get near that one, if i recall correctly reminded me of kerosene. But that may be just me, always must be decided on by ones self, try it and see.

We've tarragon growing in a pot in the yard, perrenial here, not a great many recipes that call for it but i find it a nice addition to those that do, a mild/subtle anise like flavour.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was saving these to make a Chili but the wife wanted to use them for a roast tonight.
Never mind plan B for the Chilli.

Lamb Oyster Cut Shoulder roast.

$20161204_184829.jpg

$20161204_184836.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I ever go to NZ, we have to have that Chris.

Just made my first carbonara- it was pretty good

Attachments

• $IMG_2797.jpg
    $IMG_2797.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 54

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If I ever go to NZ, we have to have that Chris.

Just made my first carbonara- it was pretty good

Mate, if you ever make it down here it would be my pleasure to make you a Sunday Lamb roast. This will be the last one for a while as summer has arrived for us.
My wife works a double shift on Mondays so she can have Fridays off. The left overs were going to work with her.

carbonara, yum. I need to make that myself one day.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mate, if you ever make it down here it would be my pleasure to make you a Sunday Lamb roast. This will be the last one for a while as summer has arrived for us.
My wife works a double shift on Mondays so she can have Fridays off. The left overs were going to work with her.

carbonara, yum. I need to make that myself one day.
Quite simple. While the spaghetti was boiling, I put a few table spoons of olive oil in a pan with cubed prosciutto. Sautéed for 5 minutes, the last couple with 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic. Then, toss the spaghetti in that pan and toss it all up. I scrambled 3 eggs, made fed in grated pecorino, and added that to the mix. Topped it with a little fresh pepper and a little more pecorino.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I grew epazote once years ago but couldn't get near that one, if i recall correctly reminded me of kerosene. But that may be just me, always must be decided on by ones self, try it and see.

We've tarragon growing in a pot in the yard, perrenial here, not a great many recipes that call for it but i find it a nice addition to those that do, a mild/subtle anise like flavour.

dave

Try putting tarragon in your chicken salad. Place some in the cavity of a roasted chicken or turkey. I love tarragon.

Try putting tarragon in your chicken salad. Place some in the cavity of a roasted chicken or turkey. I love tarragon.

That's what we've found as well, chicken and tarragon, nice marriage.

Great looking plates everyone! It's Fiesta time!

We've a Bread and Soup cookbook that pairs up a different bread recipe with each soup recipe. Today we did a potato leek soup with Rosemary Baguettes.

My wife did most of the soup, the bread i soloed on, pretty much the same recipe we use for pizza and hearth loaves, flour, salt, water, yeast & salt. A baguette in name only, not your airy light French baguette but a dense tasty bread with a great crisp crust (sprayed with water before baking), nice bread for soaking up the soup but also great with just butter. With a garden salad, another nice meal on a grey, grey almost winter day.

Dessert- Northern Spy apple pie with 5% Greek yogurt, thick stuff

Music- Lee Harvey Osmond, Beautiful Scarsdave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, are those little roasted potatoes? Explain please. :drool:

Yes there are....errr were.
Explain please..... I was telling the little woman about what how I was going to cooked the lamb to make a chilli.
She said yum........I thought that I was gaining traction on the chilli idea but sadly no, it was the roast potato she was referring to. Oh well I take that as a win anyway.

OK these are dead simple.
I heat up the some shortening before adding the potatoes. Coat all over with the shortening and give it a liberal sprinkling with some roast veggie seasoning.

The shortening is from animal fat, no room for that veggie stuff here.:w00t: The veggie seasoning is just garlic, rosemary and a little black pepper.
Baked in a oven for approx. 1.5 - 2 hours at approx. 180'C / 356'F turning a few times until golden brown.

I normal just put them in with the meat but they are really nice with the shortening.

$20161205_163518.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes there are....errr were.
Explain please..... I was telling the little woman about what how I was going to cooked the lamb to make a chilli.
She said yum........I thought that I was gaining traction on the chilli idea but sadly no, it was the roast potato she was referring to. Oh well I take that as a win anyway.

OK these are dead simple.
I heat up the some shortening before adding the potatoes. Coat all over with the shortening and give it a liberal sprinkling with some roast veggie seasoning.

The shortening is from animal fat, no room for that veggie stuff here.:w00t: The veggie seasoning is just garlic, rosemary and a little black pepper.
Baked in a oven for approx. 1.5 - 2 hours at approx. 180'C / 356'F turning a few times until golden brown.

I normal just put them in with the meat but they are really nice with the shortening.

View attachment 706986

Thanks Chris. Your shortening is better than ours. I'm using butter or bacon fat in it's place.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris. Your shortening is better than ours. I'm using butter or bacon fat in it's place.

Growing up it was always beef dripping used for roast spuds etc. Bacon fat sounds a great fill in. :thumbup1:
I'm sure a veggie shortening would work, maybe add some bacon fat to it to keep it real.
Not sure butter would be good here, clarified butter would work better but that would be some very rich flavoured tatties.
A oil can be used as well like canola oil or standard olive oil.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
[MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION]

Check this out.
I have par boiled pre roasting and gave them a shake before..........mine must have be over cooked as they broke up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom