What's new

I fell off the deep end. How do you guys do it?

My den consists of TOBS Mr. Taylor and GFT coconut cream, TOBS Jermyn St aftershave, and Proraso pre shave. And my brush is a whipped dog 24mm synthetic.

I decided to add to my den and I really got hooked. Bought a tub of stirling, mikes, and truefit and hill. Then ordered 17 samples from maggard of various brands. I have only sampled 3 so far and already placed another order for 10 more samples. That next batch hasn't arrived and I just ordered 20 from mamabears. And just bought a Simpson duke 3.

I think I need to get off the internet for a while.

My den consists of TOBS Mr. Taylor and GFT coconut cream, TOBS Jermyn St aftershave, and Proraso pre shave. And my brush is a whipped dog 24mm synthetic.

I decided to add to my den and I really got hooked. Bought a tub of stirling, mikes, and truefit and hill. Then ordered 17 samples from maggard of various brands. I have only sampled 3 so far and already placed another order for 10 more samples. That next batch hasn't arrived and I just ordered 20 from mamabears. And just bought a Simpson duke 3.

It is cheaper than antique car collecting.

Like August West said, it's cheaper than some hobbies. I justify it as being way cheaper than my other hobby (firearms)

You guys are genius. Great way to look at it. I collect watches and in the past coins, but coins were getting expensive so I sold them to pay for college.

I feel better now. Still think I should calm down and try some of these samples before buying more.

For whatever it might be worth to you...this made my day! I was feeling a little guilty about how much shaving stuff I've purchased in the last 4 weeks, but you just put my shopping spree to shame.

I started with a Perfecto razor, Van der Hagen Deluxe starter kit(boar brush, palm bowl, soap), alum and a Perfecto stand.

I now have all that stuff plus a Merkur 33c, '40s Super Speed, '20s Old Type, badger brush, VDH Luxury soap, Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime soap, Nivea Sensitive cream, glycerin and Witch Hazel, and Nivea post-shave balm.

On order...Italian Barber Avinci soap, RazoRock boar brush in olive wood handle, brush stand, TOBS Rose cream, and Proraso blue cream.

And blades. Lots of blades.

Down the Rabbit Hole we go!

I think of it as an investment, if I tired of this hobby tomorrow I would never have to buy shaving supplies for the rest of my life. (nor would my children or their children)

I see how you could feel guilty about all the soaps (me? I refused to buy "samples" because they are so little, I bought full size...I'll never run out).

Sounds like you need another brush, better buy a couple.

You can't beat vintage Gillette razors...so many to choose from.

How you set for aftershave?

proxy.php

For whatever it might be worth to you...this made my day! I was feeling a little guilty about how much shaving stuff I've purchased in the last 4 weeks, but you just put my shopping spree to shame.

Don't sell yourself short, you did pretty good yourself. I forgot to mention the razor stand I bought and some Noxzema for pre shave. And my trigger finger is itching on this rose gold muhle r89.

Well done, murrellington. Give in to your AD's. Resistance is futile.

What does AD stand for? I've also seen something along the lines of SBAD or something like that. I haven't learned all the slang and acronyms here yet.

You can also trade and sell here on The Gentlemanly Deals forum.

It adds a nice dimension to keeping costs under control.

Some of the samples I bought I won't even use because the scent does me wrong. And other samples I will use once or twice to see how they lather. I then plan on unloading these for sale here.

I see how you could feel guilty about all the soaps (me? I refused to buy "samples" because they are so little, I bought full size...I'll never run out).

I refused samples at first too bu then I didn't want to splurge on full tubs base don other peoples opinions. I have no idea what my scent preference is yet so I want to explore that. Later on, maybe I'll be able to decide from descriptions only. But for now, I'm super glad I went with samples.

Don't sell yourself short, you did pretty good yourself. I forgot to mention the razor stand I bought and some Noxzema for pre shave. And my trigger finger is itching on this rose gold muhle r89.
I love mine. It adds a touch of class. Don't forget the matching brush!

What does AD stand for? I've also seen something along the lines of SBAD or something like that. I haven't learned all the slang and acronyms here yet.
"Acquisition Disorder."

Some of the samples I bought I won't even use because the scent does me wrong. And other samples I will use once or twice to see how they lather. I then plan on unloading these for sale here.

I refused samples at first too but then I didn't want to splurge on full tubs based on other peoples opinions. I have no idea what my scent preference is yet so I want to explore that. Later on, maybe I'll be able to decide from descriptions only. But for now, I'm super glad I went with samples.

Nobody ever went wrong with a good bay rum.

I'm keeping the brush and razor acquisition disorders at bay, only have four or five of each, but my soap and aftershave acquisition disorders are full blown!

Every hobby costs money. There are hobbies that costs even more money like cigars. Only a hobbyist will acknowledge this lol. Beside the money was made so we could spend it right?

... it attacks without WARNING ! But ... you can sell or trade , if you don't become too attached . It's All useable , not a goofy thing that other hobbies do ... , like crashing expensive remote controlled airplanes , blowing up Hot Rod engines , busting axils and other things 4WD rock crawling , or falling off Engineer's Pass , killing yourself and everyone with you ! ... I've experienced several versions , this can get crazy , but ... remember , soap lasts , creams loose their performance quality (they say) after a year exposed to air . < Biggest draw back ! I'm going to work on the creams I've tried to finish them , before opening new tubs of cream . Big Deal ... . Congratulations , you're in the club ! haha ! ... think of women and shoes and purses ... 5000 pairs of shoes , and none match whatever dress ... GIVE ME A BREAK !!!

Top Bottom