What's new

New Mexico-style Posole for New Years Day

I've been on B&B since September of last year but have focused on the shaving stuff. I have only been a lurker/occasional poster in the Mess Hall, but have enjoyed cooking for a long time. Today, I am excited about what I am cooking for New Year's supper and wanted to share. My girlfriend/SO/LOTH and I both love Posole. I have made it for either Christmas Eve or New Years several times in the past few years. Today, I am trying a new recipe:

http://santafetravelers.com/santa-fe-blogs/santa-fe-recipes-casa-chimayos-new-mexican-posole/

We love Santa Fe and New Mexican food, and have eaten at this restaurant. I let you know how it is and (maybe) post pictures since it is a long, multi-step process to make.

Right now, the dried posole has been soaking since last night.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I've never had posole before. It sounds really interesting. I bookmarked the recipe. Please let us know how it comes out and compares to what you've made in the past.

The pork is cooked and cubed, the red chile is made, and the posole is cooking. It should start to "bloom" in about 30 more minutes. Then I'll add the pork and chile and let it cook for several more hours. It should be ready about 7pm Colorado time. Come on over everybody! :001_rolle

$10441294_10153307380697469_3414605395477634291_n.jpg

Should be done in about an hour.....smells incredible. It takes a long time to cook the posole kernels at a mile high.

Dinner was served. I used a bone-in shoulder this time rather than pork stew meat. Cooking the whole shoulder made the broth so much richer. This was incredible. I will definitely do it again sometime. There are a ton of leftovers too so our lunches will be nice this week!

$1917092_10153307534117469_8136761958718928553_n.jpg

I'm gonna have to give that a try someday. Looks and sounds fantastic!

Good luck! I don't know how easy it is to get posole in Michigan. You can use canned hominy as a reasonable substitute but the texture is not quite the same. Let me know if you can't get the dried. I'll get some and send it to you if you really want to try it.

Intrigued

Good luck! I don't know how easy it is to get posole in Michigan. You can use canned hominy as a reasonable substitute but the texture is not quite the same. Let me know if you can't get the dried. I'll get some and send it to you if you really want to try it.

Yeah, the posole might be a problem and I already figured I didn't want to use the canned. The right chiles might be fun to try to find locally too. On the other hand the search will give me something to do during this dreary winter. :001_smile

Yeah, the posole might be a problem and I already figured I didn't want to use the canned. The right chiles might be fun to try to find locally too. On the other hand the search will give me something to do during this dreary winter. :001_smile

I didn't get the specific chiles in the recipe. I just used dried New Mexico red chiles.

Intrigued

I didn't get the specific chiles in the recipe. I just used dried New Mexico red chiles.

Just googled and it looks more like they're growing location than a type, so I'll probably use a blend like I do in my Texas Red Chili with BEANS (cause it drives DoctorShavegood nuts!)

Top Bottom