What's new

Vibram KSO EVO

I'm in the military and have been battling lower leg injuries in both of my legs for the better part of 2 years now. The doc says they're not shin splints due to the location of the pain. I'm nearly flat footed and I under pronate when I run (odd combo). I have had luck nearly the past 8 years in a motion control shoe, but I can't get past the injury even with several new pairs of shoes. I've been on profiles for no running and been seeing a physical therapist and the pain just keeps coming back. I want to try out a pair of Five Fingers, but I don't want to spend a ton then not like them at all and be stuck. The KSO EVO is a cross trainer, can any Five Finger runner out there tell me if this is a good starter toe running shoe?

I want to get back to full PT testing! Thanks!

Pavement/asphalt in the neighborhood and track on base. I probably run on each surface equal amounts.

Bikila seems to be out of stock in my size everywhere, even Vibram's website. Is the KMD Sport LS a decent alternative? Have you ever ran in the KSO EVOs?

The only two stores that carry them in my area are totally out of men's Five Finger shoes and won't get any until spring! I'll probably order some from Amazon and try them out. My left foot is right at the edge of the size that Vibram's measuring instructions recommend, should I size up one?

Would you recommend some socks to reduce blisters and get used to them?

Thanks for the advise!

I ended up ordering a pair of KMD Sport LS from Amazon. I should get them on Wednesday.

All the VFF shoes have basically the same bottom, except for maybe different thickness and lug patterns. The differences are in the uppers, and I've not had any problems switching around between the different models. There are some that are better for trail running, some that work better in the rain, etc, but the basic mechanics are all the same.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Would you recommend some socks to reduce blisters and get used to them?

Yes, yes, yes, and +100 to that.

... but not for the reasons you suggest, but because otherwise your feet will sweat and stink up those puppies something fierce. The best are by Smartwool.

All the VFF shoes have basically the same bottom, except for maybe different thickness and lug patterns.

The soles do differ quite a bit in terms of thickness. When you are dealing with such thin soles, adding a millimetre or two makes a big difference.

OPs frame of reference is trad running shoes with an inch+of foam and rubber on the bottom. You're not going to notice that extra mm of vibram as a newbie...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
OPs frame of reference is trad running shoes with an inch+of foam and rubber on the bottom. You're not going to notice that extra mm of vibram as a newbie...

But he will, eventually.

To be fair, most of the significant sole differences are between the "old school" models and the newer ones, so if he goes for something in the newer lines and/or "designed" for outdoor activities of some sort, there won't be much to talk about in terms of sole differences. (Looking at the model he ended up ordering, he's pretty much at the "upper end" of sole thickness more or less ... not the "much" thinner ones I was concerned about.)

I got my shoes in today. They're a little tight on my second toes, they're longer than my big toes, although I did measure for them. They're not uncomfortable they're just touching the ends and the toe pocket is pretty stretchy. Does this sound normal or do you Five Finger experts think I should send them back and go up a size? All in all, they're pretty comfortable, but different.

$20160106_205423.jpg

This is normal. in terms of fit they are much closer to socks than shoes.

Also that weird feeling of having something between your toes goes away.

I always want socks with mine.... I have had a problem finding the smart wool toe socks of late - especially when I need black for uniform requirements.

That's good to know about the fit, thanks! I have a pair of socks on the way too, they weren't prime on amazon so they're a little slower in shipping.

Speaking of socks, can anyone recommend a sock cheaper than the Injiniji socks? $11 is a bit excessive.

Speaking of socks, can anyone recommend a sock cheaper than the Injiniji socks? $11 is a bit excessive.

I've owned at least 3, maybe 4 pairs of Vibrams and I've never worn socks in mine and they have never stunk. The secret is to wash them on a regular basis and dry them as fast as you can. For me in the summer that means hanging them out on the line in the sun. I have forced air heat in my house so in the winter after washing them I put them on a register and let the furnace dry them out.

Top Bottom