What's new

The Beloved Fry

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Who invented the beloved fry, French fry, Belgian fry, chip? It's all good. Even if you don't know or care who makes the best fry? You? McDonalds? Maybe some local place close to your house. I don't make them very well, so show me how.

I like them with ketchup infused with hot sauce.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
McDonalds were the best, until they switched from tallow to vegetable oil in the 80s. I like fries with lots of pepper and Heinz ketchup (is there any other?). I like thick wedge type with the skin on, and krinkle cut (for holding more ketchup)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like a semi thick fry with a crunchy skin and a hot soft inside. Lots of pepper and a sprinkle of salt. Sometimes a splash of malt vinegar. Sounds like my wife.

The best fries are at The Fat Hen in Charleston SC. Fairly thin, and double fried. They use some duck fat as well...

McDonalds were the best, until they switched from tallow to vegetable oil in the 80s. I like fries with lots of pepper and Heinz ketchup (is there any other?). I like thick wedge type with the skin on, and krinkle cut (for holding more ketchup)

Yes, the old tallow fries at McDonalds were the best. I liked them when they were soggy, not crispy, which is how they usually were at my local McDonalds when I was a kid. Now they are just a dry crisp shell :sad: .

Arby's curly fries are quite good though, so there's that.

Wish I could help with how to make great fries, but have never attempted it. I've read a lot though. If I were going to attempt them, I would start with Kenji's research first: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/01/the-burger-lab-why-double-fry-french-fries.html

I gotta watch out. Some manufacturers put a lite coating of cornstarch on the potato prefry to make them extra crispy on the outside.
I'm allergic to corn.
One day got a hold of one coated and thought it was going to be an epipen day, took two Benadryl and waited it out.

Hands down, the cheese fries at a place named Roll-n-Roaster where I grew up in Brooklyn. They were discs, a little crispy but soft in the middle. The cheese sauce was seriously cheesy. Don't know why I am using the past tense. Still there and still great.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hands down, the cheese fries at a place named Roll-n-Roaster where I grew up in Brooklyn. They were discs, a little crispy but soft in the middle. The cheese sauce was seriously cheesy. Don't know why I am using the past tense. Still there and still great.

I want that.

There is a chain - Checkers/Rally's that has fries that I love. They have a coating on them that makes them a little crispy. Probably cornstarch or baking powder, but also spiced up so they aren't just yellow boring fries.

Also have to second Chick-fil-A for good fries.

Hell, I just like fries!

Local hipster-soup-shop, The Burnt Tongue, does Belgian fries with requisite mayo for dipping/saucing, best i've had outside of Holland. Chalkboard menu, new soups everyday, try to get a seat.

Then of course we take a sharp left turn into poutine territory...

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Local hipster-soup-shop, The Burnt Tongue, does Belgian fries with requisite mayo for dipping/saucing, best i've had outside of Holland. Chalkboard menu, new soups everyday, try to get a seat.

Then of course we take a sharp left turn into poutine territory...

dave
Poutine is probably the best use of French fries ever devised

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll leave the French fries to you guys. I much prefer a chip.
Not sure about your tooth pick fries :001_tt2: but a chip is best double fried. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/the-perfect-chips/#f7DWbr7HyIvhqyXX.97
The type of potato you use matters as well.

and for the win a potato wedges with dip of your choice. sour cream, sweet chilli sauce, aioli sauce (my pick)

$468192385_8ad77474ed.jpg

The Americas Test Kitchen "Cold Oil" technique makes amazing fries. It seems completely nonsensical, but it works really well. Better than any double fried method I've tried. One bit of warning though -- it is difficult to "scale" this recipe. For whatever reason it works perfectly as presented below, but trying to make a bigger or smaller batch can give variable results.

French Fries - Cold Oil Method (Cook's Illustrated)
Servings: 4
These fries have a crisp exterior and a creamy interior, contain 1/3 less oil than traditional methods. They could not be easier to make. The recipe is from July 2009 Cook's Illustrated and the method is attributed to Michelin-starred French chef Jöel Robuchon. It skips the usual rinsing and soaking and you only need to fry once. Note that you must use Yukon golds or similar, the usual "frying" potato -- Russet -- is too starchy.

Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, dried, sides squared off, and cut length-wise in 1/4-inch strips (about 6 medium potatoes)
6 cups peanut oil, for frying
kosher salt

Directions
Combine potatoes and oil in large Dutch oven. Cook over high heat until oil has reached a rolling boil, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook, without stirring, until potatoes are limp but exteriors are beginning to firm, about 12-15 minutes.
Using tongs, stir potatoes, gently scraping up any that stick, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.
Using skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer fries to thick paper bag or paper towels. Season with salt and serve immediately.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My daughter and I cried when we watched Pommes Frites collapse in a fire a while back. They had the best fries.

Some keys to making a good fry:

Cut and rinse in cold water
Drain
Blanche in 325° oil for a few minutes
Drain and cool
Fry a second time in 375° oil

Top Bottom