What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

Day 1: target shooting with 3/8" ammo. With Theraband Black light pull bands. Not bad, but a lot of work to do if I want to get more consistent.

proxy.php

Day 2: 1/4" ammo, first time using and switched back to 1/2" Theraband Gold bands. A few bullseye's but a few strays. Got to use my new $40 laser measurer that I bought for home use, but will use for shooting and measuring too.
proxy.php

Day 3: 1/4" ammo again with TBG, I'm loving the smaller ammo. First ten shots all on target.
proxy.php

About 10 bullseye's and only a few strays. One or two of the strays were from 3/8" ammo that was on my ammo holder and the others were just rushed shots.

Very happy with the tighter groupings of shots.
proxy.php

I am absolutely LOVING my new hobby/interest. Cheap, outdoors, fun, stress reliever and fun. Did I mention FUN?

Last edited:
[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] Have you ever tried bb's? That's what I used to use; in addition to being cheap they were very fast and accurate. Wouldn't be much to hunt with but a lot of fun for hitting cans.

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] Have you ever tried bb's? That's what I used to use; in addition to being cheap they were very fast and accurate. Wouldn't be much to hunt with but a lot of fun for hitting cans.
I tried it once, but my bands weren't matched to the ammo properly, so they were zinging all over the place.

I'll be revising them soon though. I'd like to get a magnetic pouch for using them, to help hold the little guys in place.

Last edited:
Looks good [MENTION=67294]KWilliams40[/MENTION]

Nice to see someone else shooting here besides me.

I'm too scared to try a Pickle Fork Shooter yet....but one day.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was going to do some shooting yesterday but ended up putting some nerf bars on my new truck.

Today...rain.

I was wondering if I could improve my accuracy all weekend.

I was going to do some shooting yesterday but ended up putting some nerf bars on my new truck.

Today...rain.

I was wondering if I could improve my accuracy all weekend.
I try and squeeze in a bit of shooting between when I get home from work (cycling now) and picking up the kids from school when I have some "me time" but not enough to do anything extravagant.

Here is my shooting from today. I didn't have time to cut or print a smaller target to work on the "aim small, miss small" thought process.

Grabbed my FlatCat, some 1/4" and tried hard to focus on the Black and ignore the ring (difficult to make you mind not see the rings). No warm up shots, those were the ones that missed the entire target, and after about 5 shots I walked up to see I was Right. A slight readjust of what I use as an aiming point on the frame/tubes/slots on the frame and I started to do better.

I was happy with the outcome, no total misses or blunders, not too many low shots, most in the 4" circle. Same amount of shots or less then previous outings (reusing what I gather from catchbox) and count 7 bullseye's, my most yet. I will print some smaller targets to aid in my focus and see how that goes.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For the aim small, shoot small thing...for .22s I used to use a blank piece of paper and shoot one round into it, then shoot at the bullet hole. Don't know how that would work for a slingshot though.

I'll have to try a blank piece of printer paper and draw a small, black circle in the middle with a Sharpie pen and try shooting at that. That will get rid of the extra print of the target scoring rings until I can get laser focused on a small spot.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
When I was shooting I liked 00 buck shot for paper targets. They have enough mass to fly true, but make small holes in the target, so when you get good you can see your grouping better.

When I was shooting I liked 00 buck shot for paper targets. They have enough mass to fly true, but make small holes in the target, so when you get good you can see your grouping better.
I've seen quite a few guys using buckshot for ammo. I'm not a hunter, so for my target shooting I've been using 1/4" ball bearings.

Amazon.ca has 1000 for $25, free shipping for when I want to start shooting where I don't use a catchbox I can recoup 95% of my shots right now, so the 200 I purchased are still going strong.

Legion

Staff member
I've seen quite a few guys using buckshot for ammo. I'm not a hunter, so for my target shooting I've been using 1/4" ball bearings.

Amazon.ca has 1000 for $25, free shipping for when I want to start shooting where I don't use a catchbox I can recoup 95% of my shots right now, so the 200 I purchased are still going strong.

I would go to places that repair drive shafts and things. They would have masses of old ball bearings which they would just take for scrap metal. The size would never be consistent, but I would get a box I could hardly carry for the price of a beer or two. (Beer is officially currency in Australia).

These days I would probably get reported to the feds because someone thinks I am making a bomb or something.

Legion

Staff member
Everyone in our city is cheap, we are known for it, so everyone wants money for their scrap metal.

Always talk to the employee, not the boss. The boss gets the money for the scrap metal. The employee just has to lug it there. Show up around closing time with a six pack, see how generous people are.

I would do the same for 3mm acrylic offcuts when I was making straight razor scales.

I try and squeeze in a bit of shooting between when I get home from work (cycling now) and picking up the kids from school when I have some "me time" but not enough to do anything extravagant.

Here is my shooting from today. I didn't have time to cut or print a smaller target to work on the "aim small, miss small" thought process.

Grabbed my FlatCat, some 1/4" and tried hard to focus on the Black and ignore the ring (difficult to make you mind not see the rings). No warm up shots, those were the ones that missed the entire target, and after about 5 shots I walked up to see I was Right. A slight readjust of what I use as an aiming point on the frame/tubes/slots on the frame and I started to do better.

I was happy with the outcome, no total misses or blunders, not too many low shots, most in the 4" circle. Same amount of shots or less then previous outings (reusing what I gather from catchbox) and count 7 bullseye's, my most yet. I will print some smaller targets to aid in my focus and see how that goes.

proxy.php
FlatCat. [emoji106] I guess you're on the Slingshot Forum too. I got one from Byudzai in December.

FlatCat. [emoji106] I guess you're on the Slingshot Forum too. I got one from Byudzai in December.
Yes sir! Alex is a great guy, I'll be picking up one of this flat bamd versions when they come out too.

After he ran the giveaway and I saw Volp shooting it, I made it my first real frame and shooter. I'm loving it so far.

I actually just came in from my first attempt at shooting a 1" target from 1, using 1/4" steel....and no, I wasn't trying to AVOID the target, despite how it appears. [emoji12]

After 10 shots:
proxy.php

After 20 shots...one shot clipped fhe corner of it:
proxy.php

After 30 shots:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Speaking of the Flat Cat...

I pulled out some 5/16" ammo today, on someones suggestion/advise, and had my best shooting to date.

After my shooting, the 1" smiley face snowflake was no more. I was quite happy with my cluster of shots and only a few strays.

proxy.php

Top Bottom