What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's a very nice looking rock thrower Bruce, very nice looking.

Just like me! :biggrin1:

Good job my friend...good job.

Yep, she's pretty! Congrats, Bruce!

I had my second natural, a red oak fork, crack on me the day after I finished it. Not irreparable by any means as the split is not full length or depth , but the fork now in the garage waiting for a few months until it's dried. It's not splitting any more, so I'm cautiously optimistic that in 4 months or so, I can take it out and fill the crack with CA or epoxy, resand, refinish, and have a keeper still. Frustrating though as I could have sworn the fork was dry (naturally cured) when I started, but obviously not.

I decided to try and test myself today. I'm not ready for card cutting and don't have any strike anywhere matches to attempt a match light shot....but er have plenty of pencils laying around.

Here is the slow motion impact clip the hit. Shot from 33', using my Scout and 3/8" steel. Cut it clean in half on my 3rd shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of PFS (Pickle Fork Shooters) showed up today from a generous member on a slingshot forum. I've never shot a PFS before, which is why he sent them to me. They sure are intimidating with that tiny fork gap.

Both are banded up and ready to shoot, I'm going to pick up some lightweight ammo before seriously shooting them.

The Plywood PFS is a kit he received from a world class slingshot maker. The other is one he made himself based on the kit. Its main wood is Spice Wood with Bamboo & Purple Heart scales.

I hope to get out shooting these shortly and see what the whole PFS craze is all about.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

An OTT G10 FlatCat showed up a few weeks ago. Tool less and tie free, #014

proxy.php

proxy.php

And I picked up a 1/2" MDPE cutting board from Costco for $13. I should get about 16 frames from it. Nor bad for $0.75 a frame and 20 min of work. Plain Jane, but will make for some nice giveaway frames to interested shooters.

This is first time working with plastics, cuts like butter on the scroll saw. I'll be reading this one out this week bit don't see there being any issues.

proxy.php

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dang Bruce, you have taken off like a rocket with this. Lookin' good.

I'd love to have one of your handmade wood ones that you make though. If it can be shipped through customs up there. I need to learn how to tie the bands on with the rubber thingies.

If it stops raining tomorrow I may pull my catch box out.

[MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION]

The problem for me lately has been finding suitable forks. I was hoping to come back from camping with a bag of them but ended up with squat.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more forks and get one in your hands. There is no issue mailing it, so long as they are legal where they are going.

Tying the rubber is super easy once you did it a couple times. I use Bill Hayes video as my guide.

https://youtu.be/p62-RCfPReI

Last edited:
A couple more I finished up this weekend. I was planning on giving one of these away, but the first ended up having some small wood cracks that I filled with Epoxy. I'm confident it is fine, but wouldn't feel comfortable PIFing this one. The second one just turned out too pretty and my first natural based on a template of another frame.

This one is from some free Oak that I picked up to use in my smoker. I'm not sure exactly what kind of Oak it is, but it is hard and difficult to carve.

It was roughed to shape with a few power tools (still no bandsaw) and then hand carved and sculpted with my trusty Opinel #8 and a Lee Valley 4-1 file. Sanded with paper, pads, buffed with pads, Tung Oiled and then waxed. I loose track of how many hours they take and don't really care, so long as I am enjoying doing it. I'm just doing this for fun when I have time between family, fun and work. It isn't quick but they are definitely worth it.

It is set up for OTT. Fits my hand nicely, slides easily in front or back pocket. It was based on my first Oak Natural, but more like it's big brother. They will make for a nice pair to let my kids shoot if they have the desire in the spring.

Overall height: 5-3/8"
Fork length: 2"
Inside work width: 2"
Weight: 133g

$c78c987bb4f6f200d4dfbcf02625f1ac.jpg

$2367f443b275f8cfcd7205471286acb4.jpg

$a0e5e84ade009015cbfaa7d580bc9845.jpg

$68e6a89f2088a51d3a80932da513410d.jpg

$78dc352ac3ca11d62f62dec393a8faf9.jpg

Just when I was finishing up my last frame I looked down and saw this in my wood junk pile.

I'm not sure why I stopped, but there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the wood. It is very hard to carve, which is probably why I gave up. So I ran it through my planer to reduce the thickness and then went to work with my Opinel, scroll saw and drill press sander.

All sanded up, oiled, waxed and banded. Easily pocketable, which I like. I'm glad this one didn't get tossed before it was completed.

It comes in at the following dimensions:
Fork width opening: 1-1/8"
Fork height: 1-1/8"
Overall height: 4-1/2"
Overall width at forks: 3-1/8"

I don't have a before pic of the raw fork, but in pic 4, you can see the grain on the fork ends. It is my first natural based on a template.

View attachment 688071

View attachment 688070

View attachment 688069

$dc8e2c25b30a3bb2b00ce76264c36510.jpg

$e10fdfa2d30fce010028532dcdb79b51.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a couple decent sized cutting boards, 3/4" thick for $15 Canadian. I'll be able to get about 8 frames from each, so $2 a pop.

So far I've made Poly versions of some of my favorite frames that I already had in 5/8" Baltic Ply.

I took a hammer to the board first, before shooting, it seems rock solid and only leaves and impact marks. I'm going to hang a couple scraps soon and fire at them from 5m with some 3/8" steel, to see what happens.

So far, so good, no issues. Easy to cut and work with on my scroll saw, routing edges, drum sander and finishes smooth and easy. They take about 45 min from start to finish (laying out pattern to final buffing of edges and band grooves). If nothing else, they will allow me to explore frame styles before investing money or time making them out of other materials.

proxy.php

Wow, those hand carved ones look great! I have a store bought slingshot that I picked up a couple years ago, probably a Daisy or something similar. I need to get it out again.

Looking good. That stuff is tough. They will last forever.
Thanks. Super easy make and is now looking like they'll be around $1.50 each in materials cost.

Here is my impact test results.

Braced target, 5m, full draw, 3/8 steel, 0.30 latex 3/4".

It held up nicely, left an indent but didn't crack, chip or break.

I'm happy with how strong they are and am confident using the material for frames.
proxy.php
Wow, those hand carved ones look great! I have a store bought slingshot that I picked up a couple years ago, probably a Daisy or something similar. I need to get it out again.
Much appreciated. The hand carved ones are a lot of work, but the end result is rewarding and worth it.

Nothing wrong with the Daisy wire framed shooters. You can easily modify them to accept flat bands if wanted. The red Trumark bands are quite good for when the stock tubes need replacing or if you want to upgrade.

If all goes well and it's allowed, there will be a handmade, natural, OTT slingshot in the auction.

Hopefully there is some interest.

It's been confirmed. There will be a slingshot in the auction.

I've had a few inquiries by people as to me selling them, the short answer is No.

I have given away one and am planning on at least one more, but not many after that. The reason being, I'm in it for fun. After I spend the hours, blisters, cuts and material, I am usually too attached to them.

Anyway, here is a sneak peak at what you could bid on. I hope you like it as much as I do.

proxy.php

Top Bottom