What's new

I think i give up

Take your time with this, it will come in time. You need to ease your grip, and try to no press against your skin, just let the razor glide. It took me 6 months before I had my technique, more or less perfected. And by that, I just mean that I could shave without putting a conscious effort into how I was holding the razor and what my angle was, on autopilot so-to-speak. My shave used to take me 30-45 minutes as I was learning. Now, I can do it in 10 minutes. I thought of giving up a few times, but I'm sure glad I didn't.

What a GREAT community of people! I am very happy to see people such as the ones we have here trying to help and even offering free gear/blades to help out. :thumbup1:

Here is what I can offer - sometimes if you change more than one thing at the same time - and your result isn't good, you may have trouble figuring out what is causing the problem. So - you said you used a canned shave cream and cart for 30+ years with no problems. I would suggest going back to your old routine with canned shave cream and a cart until your skin heals .... you may add in a post-shave balm even with the canned cream and cart to speed the healing. I heard Nivea suggested and I like that - I also like the Gillette after shave gel (my wife prefers the scent of the Gillette gel)

Then - once your skin has healed change one thing - but only one. Go to either a soap or cream with a applied with a shaving brush OR a DE razor. I personally would go for the brush and soap or brush and cream first. Work on mastering the building of a lather. You could lather in a bowl, scuttle or mug ... or start the lather in your palm (I started that way and it is a little messy - but works fine) or you could try a face lather .... but that way you are still using the cart that you are familiar with and have only changed one thing.

Then - once you feel that you have mastered the lather - then introduce a traditional razor. If a DE isn't working for you initially, you could consider using a SE injector (Like a Schick G-type) .... I have a SE Injector and I found that the angle of the head gave me a great - nearly intuitive - shave angle ....

Another idea is to shave just your cheeks (at first) with the traditional razor and continue to use the cart below the jawline (I hear that beginners in straight razor shaving often start with just the sideburn/cheek area until they get the hang of it - but I've never tried.)

I saw you spoke about having the ability to return your gear - that may be causing you to feel pressure to rush your learning curve and therefore you aren't enjoying the shave.

What gear did you purchase? If you keep it past a return period and end up having to abandon it - you could possibly sell it here, one eBay or somewhere else.

I think the bottom line is to enjoy your shave - you don't need to feel pressure to do so. If it ends up being a cart and a can of off the shelf shaving cream or gel - then that is what you do - and don't worry about it :001_smile

This is basically what I did when I switched--first I went whole-hog DE + soap, but my face didn't like it very much so I switched back to the nivea shave gel I was using before switching and my face thanked me. I kept alternating until I started to get good results with the soap, then started working through different blades, going two blades each or until I knew the blade wasn't for me (looking at you, 7 O'clock greens >_>). After going through 5 different blades I'm starting to get a good feel for how I need to shave, so I'm going to go through each one again for good measure.

Definitely apply as little pressure as possible, none if you can manage. I've found that taking a more shallow angle greatly reduces irritation after shaving, and a nice hot rinse, followed by a cold rinse, dry, and aftershave/balm finishes it off nicely.

Once you get the technique down and have the right blade, if you're still having an uncomfortable time it could be the soap you're using--that's what I'm going to try changing up next, myself. I have four 11oz bottles of Kiss my Face Cool Mint coming in late January, along with 100 Astra SPs (got a good discount in the Amazon), so if you're still around [MENTION=106995]tperez2[/MENTION], give me a PM and I can send you some. ;)

This is basically what I did when I switched--first I went whole-hog DE + soap, but my face didn't like it very much so I switched back to the nivea shave gel I was using before switching and my face thanked me. I kept alternating until I started to get good results with the soap, then started working through different blades, going two blades each or until I knew the blade wasn't for me (looking at you, 7 O'clock greens >_>). After going through 5 different blades I'm starting to get a good feel for how I need to shave, so I'm going to go through each one again for good measure.

Definitely apply as little pressure as possible, none if you can manage. I've found that taking a more shallow angle greatly reduces irritation after shaving, and a nice hot rinse, followed by a cold rinse, dry, and aftershave/balm finishes it off nicely.

Once you get the technique down and have the right blade, if you're still having an uncomfortable time it could be the soap you're using--that's what I'm going to try changing up next, myself. I have four 11oz bottles of Kiss my Face Cool Mint coming in late January, along with 100 Astra SPs (got a good discount in the Amazon), so if you're still around @tperez2, give me a PM and I can send you some. ;)

Good advice and a kind gesture. Kudos, Ben!

The following is just my OPINION. Take it for what it's worth ($0.02).

Stop chasing the gear. This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

The 34C is more that capable of providing a nice mild shave for a newbie. You can spin yourself in circles trying to find the perfect starting razor, blade, soap, brush balm combo. What you have already should be more than adequate to get you started. If you keep changing things up, you're still going to have to go through the initial process of finding and refining your technique, angle, pressure, grip, etc.

As stated in previous posts, devote your time and efforts to making good lather. Do some practice runs in your spare time, when you aren't under the gun to get a shave in before work or as a part of your daily routine.
Try some practice runs with the razor on the back of your hand, on your arm, or (like I did) on your leg. It's just hair, it grows back, and it makes for a funny story as to why you shaved it.

Judging by the posts you've made, you're so frustrated with the whole process and every step involved that you're about to call it quits. Break it down to it's individual steps, and work on them. Eat the elephant one bite a a time.

I shaved with a Mach 3, soap, and brush for years until I got the courage to go with a DE. Now I'd never go back, but that's me. You can do it any old way you want. There is no right or wrong. It's your face. Yes, many here would like to see you succeed with a DE, but in the end you get to do what's best for you.

My biggest problem is controlling the razor and its more a phyiscal thing then anything else I said in another posts that i have cerebral palsy and i can tell that its going to be a problem getting the right angle im ok when its just a straight down motion and i can see the razor well i really cant do anything across very well a few times my arm kind of freezes up and i almost drop the razor i get the same kind of thing when i try to sign my name its not so bad with a pen not as nice when you shave :) ask for muscle memory i dont really get that kind of thing its a bit of a struggle some days. I guess ive been very lucky with carts i dont have to think about it much the angle is preset all i have to do is hold the blade steady i have had a few bad cuts over the years but now its not too bad but hten again before this i was a shave once or twice a week guy let the face heal and try again in a few weeks :) so when i did mess up it had plenty of time to heal. but ill never learn de shaving at that pace. everyone has been very nice i have some new product coming in so ill try some lathering with a new brush i have coming the ESCALI i got from amazon is a little rough i just figured it was because i had a few nicks but they are all healed now and it still feels like little pins on my skin i hope that kind of kills lathering for me. I have some personna reds on the way so maybe that will help me cut myslef less. If i cant make this work i have a friend who works at a va hospital ill pass all this stuff on to him im sure some of the vets can put it to good use.

Yeah even as im typing my left hand is starting to cramp up. to bad im left handed well thanks for listening to my ramblings again

Happy New Year to you all

Nothing wrong with using a cartridge razor to eliminate the need to maintain a certain angle. Cartridge razor with quality prep, quality shave soap/cream, and quality post shave routine will = a quality shave once you get the hang of it. All the best in 2016.

I'm a newbie myself, but if your hand is cramping, maybe you should try a different razor. I have a Maggards MR8 and it is very heavy. I basically just hold it loosely in my hand and let the razor do the work. Have not had any problems thus far with any irritation.

Yeah thats another thing i know they say let the weight of the razor do the work but how does that work with you are shaving in directions other then down such as across the face or up?? seems to me if you are shaving up you would need to put pressure on the razor to keep it on your face im sure this is much eaiser then i make it seem but i just dont get it

I gave up at one point for similar reasons, but after going through a $50 pack of cartridges from Costco, decided to try it again (I tossed my EJ in a drawer and pulled it out again). I used cartridges for a good 20 years, and even though I thought I was using zero pressure, I wasn't. It takes some of us longer, but it is possible to learn a new skill with enough practice. Good luck!

Ok i see im using bic metal 10 for 10 bux with my old shaving routine it should last me 20 weeks maybe i should start buying the good stuff so i have more motivation :)

Don't give up. My first time using a DE razor was similar. My razor bit me every shave. It was my technique and poor lathering. It will take time to adjust to the pressure, blade angle etc. Watch Mantic59 videos on YouTube. He gives great tutorials on wet shaving.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and use cartridge razors, or even disposables, but continue practicing your lathering and prep. It will still help to provide a better shave with less irritation, and still help you take better care of your skin.

Personally, I would hang on to the 34c. You never know when you might get the urge to try again, and if it's in the drawer, it won;t cost anything to give it a go once in a while...

Just my humble opinion...

A DE razor isn't for everyone, just like a straight razor isn't for everyone.

I'm confused why you think you HAVE to use a DE if carts give you a good shave. Maybe learn some better techniques, maybe get the benefit of putting higher quality products on your skin, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish with a new razor?

well it wasnt the perfect shave from all i read and saw this would be better but it isnt workng that way at the moment

Yeah, the escali is pretty rough at first. It gets softer after a few weeks shaving daily, but that's probably not ideal in your case.

Yeah thats another thing i know they say let the weight of the razor do the work but how does that work with you are shaving in directions other then down such as across the face or up?? seems to me if you are shaving up you would need to put pressure on the razor to keep it on your face im sure this is much eaiser then i make it seem but i just dont get it

What I do is tilt my head back and away from the razor, let the razor rest on my thumb and hold it up with one of my other fingers, and kind of let it rest on my face as I drag it across. The only place this doesn't work is under the jaw and on the neck if you're shaving upward, but depending on how your hair grows on your neck you may not need to shave upward there. In my case, I hold the razor very lightly upside down and use my finger or thumb (depending on the grip I use) to press it very gently against my neck (as if I were trying to tickle it with a feather) and then pivot and lift the razor simultaneously with the curve of my neck. I'd recommend against this technique unless you have very fine control in your fingers, wrist, and arms and can hold your arm up for a long time--even I get tired after a while if I take too long. Probably better to just do more down or sideways passes since you're less likely to put too much pressure that way...I've been burned a couple of times already. :/

And like others have said, if you have to keep using cartridges it's not a big deal--they can perform just as well or better depending on the individual. And depending on how you maintain the cart, some have managed to use them for a long time before replacing them. I often managed two weeks or more per cart with my 4-blade, though I did start getting bumps around the 5th day of each week. Using soap/cream + brush people have reported getting much better shaves with carts--that, at least, is worth a shot.

Whatever the case, let us know how it goes, and if you need any help or pointers we'd be glad to assist. ;)

ive seen the techs on ebay to be honest for a few dollars more i can buy and edwin jagger de89 on amazon if i was actually going to spend more money i would rather buy a new razor. the ones i saw on ebay seemed to have a lot of pitting and other wear which is normal for something like that but but personaly i would rather spend a few dollars more and buy a new razor some might dissagree with me call me silly

I just wanted all of you to know that Chrispy73 has been nice enough to offer to send me a razor if his if i decided to keep trying wet shaving if and when i send back my 34c. I thought that was very nice of him and i just wanted everyone to know about his generous offer not that hes the first one to offer to send me something to help me in my quest to get a good shave hes just the latest one.

I want to thank all the rest of you who have helped in some way be in with advice or offers of shaving gear or just good wishes. Ive decided to stick it out a while longer i have a new brush and some personna reds coming in the mail im hoping the new brush is a little less rough on my skin and the same with the new blades. its nice to know that in this day and age there are still people who offer help with no thought of any kind of compensation oh i was asked to pif the razor if i decided not to continue wet shaving how dare he ask me to do a good deed to pay him back for the good deed he is doing for me. the nerve of some people :laugh:

I want to thank you all for giving a little push and helping me decide to keep trying instead of quitting

Happy New Year to all of you

Ok here is my neck after my last try at wet shaving. I think my body is trying to tell me something. It seems i have no talent for finding the right angle lathering or actual shaving.
There is a learning curve to it, it really isn't hard at all. It just takes time. Shaving has nothing to do with talent.

Im still amazed at the rest of you who seem to just take to this naturaly and actually seem to enjoy the act of shaving. I was really looking foward to the same thing but i dont seem to be making any progress.
It really takes a while, shaving with a DE razor is different compared to a multi cart razor. There are a couple things you need to keep in mind.

- Don't use any pressure, just apply it slightly until you hear that sound.
- What is your prep routine? Most of us here take a hot shower before they shave. This is a VERY important step. I do it lkike this: I take a hot shower, when I'm done I apply olive oil on my face, I prepare the lather and then I start. I always do three passes with no problems.
- Which blade did you use? It really makes a difference.

I actually got a cramp in my hand while trying to go xtg on my neck. I have untilll jan 31 to return my shaving gear so I have a time limit and right now all ill do is cut myself up again if i dont let things calm down at this point. Maybe its just too late for me to learn something new been using a cart razor over 30 years maybe you cant teach this old dog any new tricks

You have all been really helpful and i thank you all.

TP
I know why you are getting cramps in your hand, it is because you are way too tensed. Just relax, take your time, just clear your mind and focus on the shave. You always should be relaxed. I had a situation once when I was too stressed so I was very tensed, once I started to shave I had so many cuts. I noticed that I wasn't even paying attention and I was way too tensed. So just relax with your hand, it's just like when you're using the remote control. When you hold it you hold it without tension, and it's the same when you push the buttons. That is how you should hold the razor in your hand.

An another thing I want to mention is: let your face heal! In the beginning its normal for a person to cut himself often. Many new guys get many razor burns, when you have these you should not shave until it's all recovered. I shave every 4 days when my facial hair is long enough. I noticed that I get better shaves if I wait a couple days.

What about your lather? This is an important part, many new people use too much or less water. If you do so the shave will be pretty rough. In the beginning its better to use creams instead of hardsoap because creams already contain water so they are easy to lather compared to hard soaps.

Still, pressure is the most important factor with DE shaving. Even if your lather or prep was bad, if you use the correct amount of pressure you will get a great shave. I really believe that this causes all the razor burns.

If you have any olive oil (or vegetable oil) just use it as a pre shave oil. It will make your shave easier and it will improve it because it adds more slickness to your lather (in case it's too dry). If you use it as a preshave oil you really can't go wrong, I used to shave with olive oil only and it was great. The main benefit of this is that it eliminates the bad lather factor.

I started with the same razor as the one you have. The 34C HD is a good razor but it has a short handle. Your hand needs to get used to it, in the beginning it felt very weird for me but I got the hang of it.

An another thing I want to mention about the passes. I have posted this many times. A WTG isn't simply a stroke from the north to south! Many people make this mistake and get irritations. It is from North to South based on the direction of your beard growth! You really need to map your beard to do this properly. Just let it grow for a couple days and map it in the mirror. Once you know the directions your shave will become better and better.

Many people her say that they can't do an ATG but I really wonder if they are doing it properly? Did they map their beards? If I would start with an ATG immediately it would be a bad experience for me. There was a time when I didn't do a proper WTG and XTG pass on some parts on my face, when I went for an ATG it really hurts. I couldn't do it. I decided to see what was wrong and I noticed that I was shaving into the wrong directions. With every pass you need to reduce the hairs, else you can't move on to the next one. Once I mapped it I tried again and I noticed that I could do it.

So the best thing to do is:

- Let your skin heal.
- Map your beard growth.
- Let your beard grow for a couple days.
- When you're going to shave take a good face prep with hot water. Like I mentioned before use olive oil or any consumable oil as a pre shave oil. It will eliminate the bad lather factor.
- Just use a shaving cream if you don't have any. It's very easy to lather. Don't use too much water. Let a little bit of water in the bowl, use cream of an almond size and start lathering. The chance is big that it's to dry, if it is just apply a little bit of water, don't overdo this.
- If you mapped your beard you know how to do a WTG, XTG and ATG. Remember NO PRESSURE! And RELAX your hands. Use short strokes and take your time.

Here is a little trick I use to know if my whiskers are ready to get shaven off. I place my thumb against my cheek and then I stroke into the ATG direction. If the hair is too short it will sting like a needle on my face, if I feel nothing then I can shave.

And the final thing I want to say: don't give up! It really isn't that hard, I always tell people "if I can do it you can do it too! We both have a head, a torso, two arms and legs". In your situation I really believe that you are too tensed, it reminds me of my brother. Whenever he holds a game controller in his hands I can hear it cracking up the next room.

Top Bottom