What's new

Weeper from Derby

After 10 DE shaves with a Merkur HD all is well. Except that I always seem to cut myself. It's usually small but today I had a nasty weeper on my upper lip. I've been using the Derby Extra. I'm thinking the Derby is too sharp. Should I switch to another blade?

ANY blade can bite you if you get careless or try to go too fast. I don't like Derbies myself, but if you are otherwise happy with the blade, I wouldn't abandon it because of one nick. If it is a recurring problem no matter how careful you are, that is another matter.

Even if the blade you use works pretty well, I always recommend trying what else is out there. You may find something that works much better, or you might just come to appreciate what you have.

You probably know this but when shaving upper lip...stretch it or show your "O"face. Yeah I know it sounds stupid but it tightens the skin so you get a better shave. Derby is perfect...if you are cutting yourself with a Derby DO NOT try a Feather. Maybe an Astra or worst case Crystal, even though it is a nice razor. Slicker cream or soap might help as well and even preshave oil on upper lip.

+1 on those Crystals. A bit sharper than a Derby (but sharper in a good way). Once I started using them, I gave up Derbys. Plus they hold their edge longer.

Best of luck to you. :001_smile

again this is a YMMV; but if you were not having luck with Derby's before the weeper; i would suggest a week or two with something else; i LOVE Derby's but have had bad luck with other blades; just they do not work for me. oddly enough, the 3 that work best for me are (in order)

Derby
Gillette
Feather

Merkurs are ok. I would suggest trying a Gillette. I rarely FEEL the blade (or any related irritation) when i use Gillette blades with my travel tech.

When i use one of the other blades that does not work for me; it always takes my skin about a week with the new one (one of the ones above) before I am back on track. for the past month i have exclusively used Derby's (for instance) and get a BBS shave EVERY time, no irritation, nicks, etc. AND for the first time ever, i was able to shave on back to back day with no adverse effects; no irritation, no looking like i was an extra in the movie sweeney todd.

if your results with the Derby before the weeper were hit and miss; stick it out a lil (im the opinion of most, they are the most conservative blades). Vary your routine.
Try a different type of lather (cream instead of soap, or vice versa);
Face lather vs. in a bowl/cup

As was recommended to me; Find the right combination for YOU; it is the search for the DE holy grail.

lots of luck to you, and keep us posted.

again this is a YMMV; but if you were not having luck with Derby's before the weeper; i would suggest a week or two with something else; i LOVE Derby's but have had bad luck with other blades; just they do not work for me. oddly enough, the 3 that work best for me are (in order)

Derby
Gillette
Feather

Merkurs are ok. I would suggest trying a Gillette. I rarely FEEL the blade (or any related irritation) when i use Gillette blades with my travel tech.

When i use one of the other blades that does not work for me; it always takes my skin about a week with the new one (one of the ones above) before I am back on track. for the past month i have exclusively used Derby's (for instance) and get a BBS shave EVERY time, no irritation, nicks, etc. AND for the first time ever, i was able to shave on back to back day with no adverse effects; no irritation, no looking like i was an extra in the movie sweeney todd.

if your results with the Derby before the weeper were hit and miss; stick it out a lil (im the opinion of most, they are the most conservative blades). Vary your routine.
Try a different type of lather (cream instead of soap, or vice versa);
Face lather vs. in a bowl/cup

As was recommended to me; Find the right combination for YOU; it is the search for the DE holy grail.

lots of luck to you, and keep us posted.

+1...The Gillettes are awesome!!!!
I don't think the Derby is your problem, the Crystal is a fine blade as well...I think you need to work a bit on your technique. No disrespect intended, it is just a learning curve we all had to climb. Take it slow, no pressure, work on beard reduction and blade angle, and enjoy the ride!!

Regards,

Thanks. I'll be staying with the Derby's for 3-4 more days watching my technique very closely going WTG-WTG-XTG. Perhaps an ATG on the cheeks only.

I did a WTG-XTG-XTG and the second XTG caught the top of my lip on the red part. Or rather took a nice chunk of my lip out. The styptic was there for 5 mins. It's healing nicely tho thanks to the styptic.

Next I'll go with the Crystal's and it will help me compare it to the Derby's to determine if it's my technique or the blade that's bad for me.

also make sure NO PRESSURE; i had to learn that after years of disposable razors

it took me a while to get this sorted out. what seems to be little or no pressure when you first start wet shaving evolves.... after years of shaving with cartridge razors it was quite difficult to relearn my shaving technique. give it some time you'll find your groove

Top Bottom