What's new

Need lather help

Just a thought.............

Do you have hard water where you live?

If so, spend a buck on a gallon bottle of distilled water to use for making your lather.

What is good size for a lather bowl i think i might do better with a bowl then face lathering i dont want to go out a buy a special bowl if i dont have to money is tight since i went on disability so give me some ideas.

My first time lathering was today, tried it in a bowl after watching a few videos. Used the C.O. Bigelow (made by proraso). Doing it in a bowl worked like a charm and didn't take all that long. I just used an ordinary kitchen bowl (I used a non-white bowl so I could really see how the lather was coming).

Yeah by the time i got to my cell phone at took that shot it had dried alot i had flakes all over my shoulders it looked like snow :) I never got that with the proraso. only the arko

Like the OP I'm still new to lathering. I've read most if not all of the links that have already been provided and tonight had only my third DE shave. One thing I'll say is if your not happy with how the lather looks, wash it off and start again. The price of the stuff you've mentioned means that your wasting pennies to get it right rather than making do and butchering your face.

Excellent advice for someone just starting out. I certainly remember times when I was just starting out and didn't have enough product or too much water and would just say to heck with it and dump it and start over. I have an arko stick pressed in a bowl and that was always my fall back soap. Don't be afraid to load that brush up! Add water to the bowl little bit at a time.

Its not really trying to make due its thinking its ok and its not ok it seems no matter how much a try i get a very thin layer of lather but i read a few times it should be thick and and feel heavy well its not thick and it doesnt feel heavy i figure if i keep swirling the lather should get thicker and thicker but i never get that nice fluffy lather i see in the videos what i need is a lather tutor anyone want the job?

Yeah by the time i got to my cell phone at took that shot it had dried alot i had flakes all over my shoulders it looked like snow :) I never got that with the proraso. only the arko

If it flakes off it is way to dry follow the advice above. (Slowly add water a few drops at a time and work it)

I would also recommend trying distilled water. I had a hard time when starting out building a good lather due to hard water and the natural learning curve. After you get it down with that you can try your water again and you will learn how much additional product you need to compensate for the mineral content of your water.

Take some time and make practice lathers on your hand or arm if needed to get a feel for it.

Good luck!

Just mash the stick in a bowl, its going to be easier. Arko is very easy to lather, I never expected a cheap soap to be that good.

$IMG_20160108_164532_833.jpg

I spoke to friend of mine who used to live in the area and he tells me we do have hard water he said to try filtered water to lather so i did and this is what i got. It's still not as nice as what i see in the videos but its much better then was i was getting with the unfiltered tap water anyone care to chime in?

T P

Heh I was hoping no one would notice its the only bowl we had that i can hold in my hand that isnt breakable :) I have to remember to wash the soap out before i give the dog some water :)

Its still not as nice as some ive seen buts its an improvement and it feels pretty good on the face.

I only noticed because I had one just like it for years...

I was being serious when I said I love it. It's a great little bowl, with awesome memories for me!

Its part of a set we got years ago my sisters kids used to spend time here when they were little they are both out of school now so i don't think they need them anymore :)

Top Bottom