What's new

Fatip Piccolo. I'm in love.

$Piccolo-small.jpg

This is my Christmas present to me, and my first ever Open Comb razor.

My first shave with the Piccolo was on Christmas Eve morning (24th, I just couldn't wait for Christmas!), and it was great (DFS).
My second shave was on the 26th morning and that was even better (DFS).
My third shave was this morning (29th) and it was better still (BBS).

I simply can't believe how wonderful this little razor is (for me of course, YMMV).

MORE DETAIL FOR ANYONE WHO'S INTERESTED:
I came back to DE Shaving (after a several decade gap) on October 29 this year with a Timor 1320 TTO, shortly followed by a Gillette Super-109 Adjustable. I did fancy trying an open comb but all the current ones (that I liked the look of) were three piece.

The water where I live is so hard you could stand a spoon up in the basin. Due to this I was continually loosening the TTO mechanisms to (frequently) rinse the razors/blades during a shave. I guessed that loosening a three piece all the time to rinse would be a real pain in the ***.

Anyway, I still wanted an OC and I really liked the look of the Piccolo... even though it was a three piece and my natural preference was for a thicker handle. So, considering the price, I just went ahead and purchased one.

As soon as I opened the box and took it out of its package I had to smile. I just love the look of it. (The finish certainly isn't engineering perfection; but how many things that you truly love are perfect?)

Having done lots of research on the Piccolo (mainly here at B&B) I inserted a once used Personna Red and started with a little trepidation. It was definitely wise to show it respect, especially for a first shave... but I needn't have worried. The whole experience just flowed naturally.
1. I didn't even notice the handle (which tells me that its diameter, surface, and weight must be perfect [for me]).
2. The razor angle varied everywhere, but it was all intuitive and worked perfectly (for me).
3. Due to the specific OC design of the Piccolo, every rinse left the razor and blade perfectly clean. (I was amazed at the "only slightly dull" look of the razor and blade, post shave, in comparison to my TTOs which get completely gunked up with the exceptionally hard water.)

After today's shave I can't stop touching my (incredibly smooth) face. So, not only am I in love with my Piccolo, I'm in love with me too. And, as the song goes, "Things Can Only Get Better."

FYI, I tend to be a minimalist. My normal shave is pre shower/bath and comprises:
1. Apply hot, wet, face cloth (about a minute).
2. Face lather.
3. Shave WTG, ATG, then Buff where/if required.
4. Splash on AS (after shower/bath).

$ShaveSetUp3.jpg

I'm now definitely set on the hardware/software in the picture above (unless I change my mind of course :blushing:).

I'm currently trialling blades. I'm certainly impressed by the Personna Red which has given me all three wonderful shaves with my Piccolo, and one prior to that. It doesn't feel like it's going to need replacing any time soon. I have quite a heavy growth and would need to shave AM and PM to be really smart, but I quite like the contrast of going from heavy stubble to BBS.

If you have read this to the end... you deserve a medal! :w00t:

The Piccolo really puts the blade into your face. Great little shaver and a bargain at that. Send me one of the medals you promise, haha.

Great read, thanks for posting. I've been a Grande user for a few months now and can confirm, yes, the shaves just keep getting better!

Hahah! I'm happy you found the perfect razor for you! I deserve a medal aswell... i'm waiting for it... :p hahaha

The Piccolo really puts the blade into your face. Great little shaver and a bargain at that. Send me one of the medals you promise, haha.
Thank you for your comment Feather-man. :001_smile Here's your virtual medal: $Excellence.jpg

Good for you! Great way to start the New Year!:thumbup:
Thank you BigJ. :001_smile

Great read, thanks for posting. I've been a Grande user for a few months now and can confirm, yes, the shaves just keep getting better!
Thank you strangehat. :001_smile It's a good feeling, knowing you're onto a good thing.

Hahah! I'm happy you found the perfect razor for you! I deserve a medal aswell... i'm waiting for it... :p hahaha
Thank you Mathieu. :001_smile Here's your virtual medal: $Excellence.jpg

Congrats on a GREAT razor. I've always heard they were pretty aggressive so I've steered clear but if it weren't, I'd be all over this.

Congrats on a GREAT razor. I've always heard they were pretty aggressive so I've steered clear but if it weren't, I'd be all over this.
I avoided aggressive razors for a time but as someone else said, of the Fatip, an aggressive razor will refine your technique. The Fatip should not be feared!

When I first used the Piccolo, I did not like it's aggressiveness, it felt over the top. I put aside for several months, then I gave it another chance.

Part of the problem was blade alignment. That was solved by posting a question about. Resolved that issue. Worked on my technique using a steeper angle, lighter touch and better hand position on the handle (further down). Turn the beast into a pleasant shaving experience and more enjoyable. It is the razor I grab the most.

I love the Fatip razor. I own 2 Grandes and 1 Piccolo. My Picolo does have a bad alignment problem. I wish they had better quality control with their razors.

Thank you McHale. :001_smile

I'm all for research, information gathering, and listening to others advice. BUT, if my gut feeling tells me something is for me, I go for it regardless. This isn't the way we've been trained, but IMO it's the right way.

To paraphrase Henry Ford:
When you think you can do a thing, or not, you are right. :wink2:

I love the Fatip razor. I own 2 Grandes and 1 Piccolo. My Picolo does have a bad alignment problem. I wish they had better quality control with their razors.
Should we start a Fatip Grande & Piccolo Lovers Club Ron? :w00t:

Or is there one already?

What blades do you guys like in your Fatip razors? Obviously, YMMV. But I am curious. I've only tried a few different blade types, but I think Voskhod and Wilkinson Sword blades (Germany) perform well in my Grande. I want to work my way up to Personna Lab Blues, but I have cut myself pretty badly with those blades before lol don't think I'm ready for them yet.

I've only used a Feather in my Piccolo. I like your plan. As your skills improve you will further enjoy the mighty Fatip. It's a great little razor.

Top Bottom