What's new

Help me choose a basic to intermediate weather station?

I received a basic weather station for Christmas and really enjoyed it for awhile. The outdoor humidity is no longer showing and I am sure the barometric pressure is far from correct. I plan to return it.

I would like a somewhat basic weather station. Some of the most important features are:

1) Accurracy
2) Outdoor humidity
3) Relative barometric reading

Optionals that would be nice

4) Moonphase
5) Perhaps windspeed but I don't how or where to mount the extra hardare.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Take care,
Jason

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went through this. Had several; baro is usually iffy and the humidity is the first thing to go.

Unless it's high end ... no. We now have a simple hi/lo wireless temp. MUST use AAs, not AAAs ... cold kills the batts fast.

AA

An administrator on a well respected weather forum (frequented by several professional meteorologists), and someone I know and trust recommends Davis Vantage Vue or AcuRite systems. It really depends on your budget.

A direct quote from him:

Davis Vantage Vue or the AcuRite stations that look like the Vue seem to be getting some decent reviews. It all depends on what you want to spend, but anything Davis will be the best. Oregon Scientific has a few nicer ones as well. As far as accuracy, as long as you place your sensors in the recommended locations, your accuracy should be pretty close.

Oddly enough, their is a weather reporting station a half mile from my home. Using the Weather Underground App I can get the data displayed on my PC. I was surprised to find there are many personal weather reporting stations that broadcast data besides that recorded professionally at airports.

Oddly enough, their is a weather reporting station a half mile from my home. Using the Weather Underground App I can get the data displayed on my PC. I was surprised to find there are many personal weather reporting stations that broadcast data besides that recorded professionally at airports.

Wunderground is a marvel!! During weather events or really spectacular cold fronts, it stays up on one of my monitors at work!

Wunderground is a marvel!! During weather events or really spectacular cold fronts, it stays up on one of my monitors at work!

+1 ... I like Weatherbug Elite. I have it on both of my Android devices and a quick-link on the desktop at home.

Its one of the few apps that I felt was worth purchasing the Professional version. Only about $3, but well worth it. Its fast, accurate, and provides more than enough information. I keep the My Location preference enabled so it tracks the local weather as I travel about.

+1 ... I like Weatherbug Elite. I have it on both of my Android devices and a quick-link on the desktop at home.

Its one of the few apps that I felt was worth purchasing the Professional version. Only about $3, but well worth it. Its fast, accurate, and provides more than enough information. I keep the My Location preference enabled so it tracks the local weather as I travel about.

I haven't used Weatherbug in several years. For a while, it was nothing more than bloatware/spyware with the temperature and forecast. Perhaps it's much better than it was back then.

I haven't used Weatherbug in several years. For a while, it was nothing more than bloatware/spyware with the temperature and forecast. Perhaps it's much better than it was back then.

I've never heard anything about it being spyware.

There's a lot more than just temp and forecast. You can view pollen alerts, lightening storms approaching, moon phases, sunrise and sunset times, and much, much more.

I find that the forecasts are fairly accurate, especially when I'm storm-tracking.

It doesn't consume a lot of memory and the battery drain is reasonable. It does consume a fair amount of my data plan, though. I left it running in the background and it was updating every 15 minutes. When I shifted my plan-size down to lower my bill, I also adjusted Weatherbug so that it would only update once an hour. That saved me a huge amount of data usage.

The free version is decent, but I decided to upgrade to the Pro-version. It loads faster, it has more info, and the radar maps go to Full-Screen since it isn't showing any ads.

$weather rock.jpg

Top Bottom