What's new

Tuxedo for 2 formal nights on a cruise

So, the wife and I are going on a cruise this summer. It's a 9 night cruise with two formal nights. I once owned a tux when I was younger and more fit, it was my fathers so it was more a classic tux than one that was in fashion at the time. I always got nice compliments on it and how classic it was and hated to sell it.

Now, while still considering a classic tux I'm also open to the thought of something more in fashion. Since there are two formal nights, I was thinking of something that could be changed some so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing on both nights.

I haven't really looked at much but wanted to get some thoughts from you guys as well. I'm considering buying or renting (but not from the ships selection).

Any suggestions?

While I can't really give fashion tips, I'd at least like to tell you that unless you wear one regularly, renting the tux would be the best way to go. You can use the money you saved to buy your wife some nice jewelry or a great dinner.

Now, while still considering a classic tux I'm also open to the thought of something more in fashion. Since there are two formal nights, I was thinking of something that could be changed some so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing on both nights.

Classic! A good classic tuxedo looks good and is appropriate night after night. Nobody will think that you are slouching in the fashion department.

We went on a cruise 2 years ago with Princess. While we had two "formal" nights as well, a tux was not required, but tie and jacket were. I brought along a navy sport coat and two ties for those occasions and just wore them with the slacks that I had brought. This worked out well for me, and I didn't feel under dressed at all. They limited our baggage weight fairly strictly, so this seemed reasonable from that perspective as well. My wife just about had to drag me on a cruise, but I enjoyed it immensely, hope you do to.

This will be our third cruise. I kinda enjoy the formal nights, so going in a dark suit isn't such a bad idea, I already have a few but don't need to wear them to work, just slacks and golf shirts.

It also depends on my table mates, I have no idea who we are sitting with, could be the president of a company or some redneck family couple with 4 kids. If it's the latter, we will only be at the dinner table ONE time, if we can't get our table changed.

C'mon man. You know better than to go the 'fashion route' Classic black tie is the only way to go. As for worrying about people seeing you in the same outfit twice, think of it as being consistently well dressed.

If you're really worried about it, I suggest you change things up a little bit, while still remaining in the realm of classic black tie. Bring along an extra shirt. Wear a cravat the second night. Take a second set of cuff links. Fold your pocket square differently. (more on folds HERE)

I respectfully disagree with those touting the slacks, jacket, and tie approach to formal wear. At an event like this, you have an opportunity to either bring the atmosphere of the dinner up a notch or down a notch. Why wouldn't you want to make the evening that much more refined and elegant by showing up in classic black tie?

Bottom line, a sharp, well fitting, classic black tie ensemble will make you stand out. Who do you want to be? The guy in the dark suit lost in the crowd? The adult who has regressed to the garish tuxedos sold for teenage proms? The man who women point out to their husbands and say, "Why didn't you dress like THAT?!" For me, that's an easy choice.

Plus, I bet your wife would appreciate it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This may interest you Art-Black tie.
+1 words of wisdom.
C'mon man. You know better than to go the 'fashion route' Classic black tie is the only way to go. As for worrying about people seeing you in the same outfit twice, think of it as being consistently well dressed.

If you're really worried about it, I suggest you change things up a little bit, while still remaining in the realm of classic black tie. Bring along an extra shirt. Wear a cravat the second night. Take a second set of cuff links. Fold your pocket square differently. (more on folds HERE)

I respectfully disagree with those touting the slacks, jacket, and tie approach to formal wear. At an event like this, you have an opportunity to either bring the atmosphere of the dinner up a notch or down a notch. Why wouldn't you want to make the evening that much more refined and elegant by showing up in classic black tie?

Bottom line, a sharp, well fitting, classic black tie ensemble will make you stand out. Who do you want to be? The guy in the dark suit lost in the crowd? The adult who has regressed to the garish tuxedos sold for teenage proms? The man who women point out to their husbands and say, "Why didn't you dress like THAT?!" For me, that's an easy choice.

Plus, I bet your wife would appreciate it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out ... oh, maybe it does. :001_rolle I'll agree with all that ... hey, who expects you to bring two tuxedoes on a cruise??? Wearing the same great one ... every night if you can get away with it ... is just fine. Don't bother trying to 'mix it up' or tinker with the classic formula. (About as far as I'd go is switching between MOP studs and cufflinks, and Onyx ones.

Buy, don't rent. You doubtless will have many more occasions (more cruises, for example) to wear the outfit, and why continually rent?? If you buy, you get potentially much better quality, and you can get it properly tailored to fit your proportions perfectly. Dang, you will look sharp.

Being the King, and it's good that you are, you already know how to tie your bow tie, so I don't have to warn you against pre-tied abominations. :tongue_sm

All of the cruises I have been on were Royal Carribean and I really enjoyed the formal nights but I agree that a Tux is not completely necessary. I cruised a month ago and actually noticed quite a few people in denim and polo shirts. While I don't think this is appropriate attire I have to admit that the people wearing black tie stuck out just as much as those in the denim. Don't get me wrong, a Tux looks great but those individuals were a severe minority. I wore slacks, dress shirt, tie, and blazer.

I second renting... which kind of limits your true fashion choices. But that's OK. A classic rental tux still looks great!

I wouldn't discount renting on the ship though. It's not too much more and it means a hell of a lot less luggage (all those finicky attachments). You can also get away with a dark suit. Maybe dress it up with a bowtie one night and black tie the other or wear the vest only one night so it looks like a slightly different outfit. A pocketsquare can also be your best friend.

And if the whole thing just doesn't excite you, make that your buffet and stay-in night instead. Plenty of people will be doing that. I do like getting all dolled up (full shave and a pocket watch) and a cruise is about the only fun time I ever get to do that.

You may want to think about getting a black doubled breasted suit. Put on a wing collar shirt with a black silk bow tie and you'll look as formal as you'll likely need to look. Change the tie to a silver and black one, and you've completely changed the look.

You'll also likely get more use out of a black suit than a tux.

What is the actual dress code on the "formal nights" - I am sure that they have given you some kind of code.

There is an old English adage about how one should never overdress. To be fair though, it is a little anachronistic as it was originally meant to admonish gentlemen who went beyond the dress code, which is rarely a problem in todays world.

Personally, I always feel better about dressing above rather than dressing below those I am around, it definitely will give you a confidence boost. If you used to be happy in a classic dinner jacket then buy another one, when you have one, you will find as many occasions as possible to wear it. I would also reccomend buying over renting, you could even buy it second hand, but renting black tie is fairly expensive considering the cost of getting a new one.

You will look good. Black Tie looks good full stop.

Also I would like to respectfully disagree with those who suggested you should wear a dark suit with a bow tie. If you are going to attempt to follow the dress code then actually do so. You can tell and people will know, the lapels on a dinner jacket are shiny, so it is a dead giveaway. Ambivalence always looks bad - either go the 'whole hog' or just go in a suit and tie.

Traditionally black barethea is also preferred over black silk for the bow tie. Do it properly and you will look and feel like a million pounds.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise.

In addition to varying the cumberbund/waistcoat, you can use a bow tie one night and a regular tie the second.

While I don't suggest varying the outfit too much, the regular tie - in a solid colour (some tone-on-tone patterning or texture is fine, if its muted/subdued) is generally viewed as an acceptable play on the theme. Add a couple of nice pocket squares and you're all set - at least from a sartorial perspective!

I agree with the post above about trying to fake it by wearing a bow tie with a black suit - you'll look like a waiter. If you don't want to go the tux route, a nice dark suit (blue or black), with a nice white shirt with cufflinks, a nice tie (same guidelines as above) and a pocket square will look quite nice and should allow you to get by.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do it properly and you will look and feel like a million pounds.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise.

Talking about the buffet dinners ... ?? :rolleyes:

Please, please, please, skip the coloured bowties and cummerbunds. Just stick with black. :biggrin:

Top Bottom