What's new

Cripes. Tales from my mouth.

So about a year ago, my missus and I were at a Mexican restaurant. We ordered up a few dishes, including a plate of Nachos to share. I'm enjoying the meal when all of a sudden theres a god awful (I'm talking spine shivering) "crunching" sound and sensation in my mouth as the back of my tooth cracks off.

It's unexpected and happens real fast so before I know it, I've chewed down a again on this fragment of tooth that broke off. Another horrid crunching results as I break the fragment into smalled shards.

Ugh!

Once I'm over the initial shock of it and resign myself to what just happened, I go and rinse my mouth and return to gingerly finish the rest of my meal. The next day I make an appointment with my dentist.

He's an older dude. Like early to mid seventies and aside from his age, a very special guy in many regards. He chuckles and proceeds to tell me that corn chips are a major culprit in chipped teeth and he sees this sort of thing a lot. He gives me some options from a minor fix to a complete overhaul of the tooth.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that as cool as my dentist is, I HATE dental work. Being in a dentist chair renders me pitiful. Once in that seat, I have courage equivalent of an eight year old girl. You could say I am phobic about pretty much everything to do with dentistry aside from paying my bill and getting out of there fast as I can.

So, I opt for the minor procedure. A light grinding back of my tooth to take the sharp edge off the chipped tooth. It's a tooth that has a big filling in it so he works around it and smooths the edges of my mishap down to a comfortable surface.

Fast forward to last night.

I'm at a neighbors birthday party, enjoying a plate of nibblies. As I'm eating and enjoying an exceptionally tasty (and I will mention SOFT) appetizer of asparagus wrapped in bacon (damn good!) the unimaginable happens.

Before I know it, the filling in my tooth has silently popped out and I've swallowed it!

I'll say that again. The mercury filling in my tooth fell out, and I before I knew what was up, I swallowed the freakin' thing. I'm mid conversation when I realized whats happened. I try to play it cowboy and just roll with it. I keep a straight face and say nothing to my neighbor who is telling me an interesting story as I feel this awful lump sliding down my pipes.

It's been 24 hours, and it feels like it's still in my gut, or intestine or something. Or maybe I shat it out already and I'm just spooked and feeling some phantom. I just hope I'll pass the thing 'cause I definitely don't want that thing sitting in me.

Anyone else had, or heard of this sort of thing? I'll be calling my dentist on Monday but in the meanwhile, I am a little wigged out about it.

What a week.

Cheers.

You swallowed an amalgam filling. You'll be fine. It's you mind playing games with you since you most likely already passed it. If you think you dislike the dentist try having a mother who is a hygienist... yes mom I did floss... sheesh.

BTW there isn't a lot of mercury in an amalgam filling so you'll be fine there too.

I haven't broken a tooth but I know I'm due for one since some of my fillings are at least 30 years old. I wanted to be a dentist when I was in high school so I don't have a big fear of dental procedures, but the price of dental work these days scares the heck out of me. Combine a cracked tooth with a simple root canal and you're talking $3000.

Heh. Glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the feedback fellas. Between these posts and some Googling, I mellowed out a bit.

I didn't (still haven't) called my dentist about it. Although, I really can't avoid the fact that I should go see him and get either a new filling or a crown.

Arg.

That is going to suck.

Heh. Glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the feedback fellas. Between these posts and some Googling, I mellowed out a bit.

I didn't (still haven't) called my dentist about it. Although, I really can't avoid the fact that I should go see him and get either a new filling or a crown.

Arg.

That is going to suck.

The best time for an appointment with the dentist is last week. Get it over and done with. (I was going to type 'bite the bullet' but on second thoughts...)

Cheers

Jeremy

I lost a filling once and never felt it pop out. I just noticed the hole in my tooth while brushing... who knows where it went... But it was a composite filling... I know amalgams have some mercury in them, but if it passes through, the risk is probably minimal.

Top Bottom