What's new

Alternative to scrubbing bubbles in europe

I've seen a lot of people all over the web recommend scrubbing bubbles for cleaning razors. Everywhere I go this product is recommended. The problem is that you can't get scrubbing bubbles where in live in Europe and from what I understand it might even be banned in EU cause it contains a too high level of a chemical called DEGBE(this is just what I've read on some sites, don't know if this is actually true).

Anyway, I was going to ask if anybody knows what ingredient(s) in scrubbing bubbles make it so effective, or if anybody knows a good substitute based on the ingredients. I currently use dish soap and a tooth brush but I find that it doesn't make my razors very shiny, it always leaves some shaving soap residue that I can't seem to get rid off.

So any advice on alternative products would be appreciated :001_smile

And happy holidays everyone!

No worries. You can make your own DEGBE using enriched uranium and coal sludge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people shouldn't use scrubbing bubbles. I just referred to what I read as it might mean scrubbing bubbles is not available in any stores located within in EU countries. I sure haven't found it anywhere so I guess it might be true. The site said it used 10% concentrated DEGBE while the maximum allowed in EU is 3%.

Rubbing alcohol and liquid hand soap, with an old soft texture toothbrush works well for my two razors.

Rubbing alcohol and liquid hand soap, with an old soft texture toothbrush works well for my two razors.

I've tried hand soap and I always dip the razor in alcohol after I clean it and after every shave. Doesn't make the finish very shiny unfortunately. About the tooth brush, which kind of tooth brush do you mean?

Where are you in Sweden?

If you are in Skåne, I will be happy to bring you a fresh can of real, honest to goodness, American Scrubbing Bubbles this weekend.:thumbup:

God Jul

Last edited:
I use CIF Bathroom (spray cleaner) here in the UK. It is very similar to Scrubbing Bubbles and has no bleach.

The ingredients in Sweden may be different so best to check them here first. I hope that helps. :001_smile

Where are you in Sweden?

If you are in Skåne, I will be happy to bring you a fresh can of real, honest to goodness, American Scrubbing Bubbles this weekend.:thumbup:

God Jul

I appreciate the offer very much! I live 3,5h from skåne though which makes it a bit hard for me to get there, as I said in the pm.

Thank you very much for the offer though, and God jul :biggrin1:

I use CIF Bathroom (spray cleaner) here in the UK. It is very similar to Scrubbing Bubbles and has no bleach.

The ingredients in Sweden may be different so best to check them here first. I hope that helps. :001_smile

I've checked online and some Swedish online shops do indeed carry cifs. I'll check in my local stores and supermarkets and see if I can manage to find it.

Thank you for the tip, hopefully it'll be available somewhere around here :)

And God jul (merry christmas)!

Most bathroom cleaners will work. I have tried the cheap "ICA Basic" and "Kalkosan" with good results. The latter is concentrated and will remove any soap residue.

Most bathroom cleaners will work. I have tried the cheap "ICA Basic" and "Kalkosan" with good results. The latter is concentrated and will remove any soap residue.

Which ICA basic product are you referring to? Is it called something more? I've seen kalkosan before, might have a try with that as well, thanks :)

I've tried hand soap and I always dip the razor in alcohol after I clean it and after every shave. Doesn't make the finish very shiny unfortunately. About the tooth brush, which kind of tooth brush do you mean?
I use a child size soft fiber brush from CVS the bristles are very soft. I didn't mean to imply bar hand soap, i was attempting to referr to the liquid anti-bacterial soap.

The "ICA Basic badrumsrengöring". You might find some cleaner with a more pleasant smell though :)
Ah thanks, I'll see if I can find it in my local ICA store.
I just picked up some kalkosan from another store though. When I got home I noticed it had citric acid in it. Isn't this prone to dissolving nickel and/or chrome? If not, what measurements would you suggest for solving it in water when cleaning the razor?

I use a child size soft fiber brush from CVS the bristles are very soft. I didn't mean to imply bar hand soap, i was attempting to referr to the liquid anti-bacterial soap.

Thanks for the description, I'll buy myself a softer tooth brush as the brush I currently have probably is a bit stiff.
And yeah, I've tried many soaps and got the same results unfortunately. I think I might need something that dissolves lime deposits. I've got some detergent that should do the job now but I'm worried it might be a bit too strong and damage the plating.

It contains these ingredients:

aqua
phosphoric acid
citric acid, monohydrate
methoxyisopropanol
C9-11 Pareth-6
perfyme
myristalkonium chloride
Quaternium-14
Colorant

Do anybody have any idea if any of these could damage the plating?

Mamma mia! To me it all seems an overkill

Any Soap, an old toothbrush and if any do with alcohol. Done.
Eventually shining with toilet paper or as I do each day with my face towel...

YMMV

I would not worry about household products damaging the plating. A quick cleaning followed by rinsing in water won't hurt.
I use Kalkosan in 1:1 - 1:5 dilution. Lately I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner as well. Just water and dish soap.

...I think I might need something that dissolves lime deposits. I've got some detergent that should do the job now but I'm worried it might be a bit too strong and damage the plating....

Be very careful using anything that will attack lime deposits - there was a thread earlier this year (which I can't find, of course) with pictures of a razor that the plating was destroyed by leaving in a US product designed to attack lime deposits. Not being a chemist, though, I don't know which chemicals might have been the most aggressive in that product. Here is a post of a user saying CLR (designed to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust) stripped the plating from his razor.

If CIF is available in both a bleach and non-bleach formula, use the version without bleach. Though you can get away with light exposure, prolonged exposure with bleach to exposed brass will turn the brass pink.

Be very careful using anything that will attack lime deposits - there was a thread earlier this year (which I can't find, of course) with pictures of a razor that the plating was destroyed by leaving in a US product designed to attack lime deposits. Not being a chemist, though, I don't know which chemicals might have been the most aggressive in that product. Here is a post of a user saying CLR (designed to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust) stripped the plating from his razor.

If CIF is available in both a bleach and non-bleach formula, use the version without bleach. Though you can get away with light exposure, prolonged exposure with bleach to exposed brass will turn the brass pink.

I cross-checked the ingredients in CLR and kalkosan, which is the product I have, and there seem to be no common ingredients. I've tried to check all individual ingredients effects from the kalkosan on nickel and chrome but can't really find any specific info.
Thanks for the heads up though!

Top Bottom