What's new

Gem 1912 OC Question

For some time I have been keeping an eye out for a decently priced Gem 1912 Open Comb. I actually purchased one a few months ago on a well known auction site and the seller did not deliver. From that point it has almost become an obsession. So my question is, for all you lucky 1912 OC owners, is my mission in obtaining one worth it? Is there a noticeable difference in the 1912 OC's shave?

Difference compared to what? What is your daily driver? If you do not have a single edge razor yet then you should defiantly try to get one. The shave is a lot different from a double edge.

Difference compared to what? What is your daily driver? If you do not have a single edge razor yet then you should defiantly try to get one. The shave is a lot different from a double edge.

I guess I should have stated in comparison to the closed comb 1912's. I have a ton of SE razors but the 1912 OC has so far eluded me!

I have an open comb Damaskeene, as well as a Gem De Luxe set (the very first 1912 design razor).

$ocd1.JPG

Above: Open comb Damaskeene set

$caseset2.JPG

Above, Gem de Luxe set

Surprisingly, they are milder than the closed comb 1912's. Very smooth, though.

--Bob

Get one and enjoy it. Best test is on your own skin and these razors are not expensive.

For some time I have been keeping an eye out for a decently priced Gem 1912 Open Comb. I actually purchased one a few months ago on a well known auction site and the seller did not deliver. From that point it has almost become an obsession. So my question is, for all you lucky 1912 OC owners, is my mission in obtaining one worth it? Is there a noticeable difference in the 1912 OC's shave?

Get one and enjoy it. Best test is on your own skin and these razors are not expensive.

10-4, I will likely have one someday. They do not surface that often and when they do they are starting to approach the $80-100 mark.

I have one with the Damaskeene brand on the inside, a solid baseplate with no drainage holes. The instruction is to "use only with GEM Damaskeene blades", something I ignored and used a GEM by Personna (modern GEM). It was okay, but a bit mild. When mjclark sent me a good NOS GEM Damaskeene blade (yeah, good to shave with ... at over 100 years old), I ran it through a bunch of these older razors and you know what? The open comb was transformed! If you follow instruction, it works out ...

So, mild, unless you find a proper old Damaskeene blade ... or shim a modern one by slipping a spare spine underneath the spine of a modern GEM blade.

Happy hunting! They are out there ... I've been collecting seriously for about two years and have had two through my hands. I still have one. They are out there.

I found one on the bay! I do not have it in hand yet but fingers crossed I will be shaving with it next week.

Thanks for the blade advice pjgh!

Thanks to spidey9 and prometeo for the sweet pictures. I can't wait to have mine in hand!

Got it today! It's not mint but it was in very good condition. After cleaning it and disinfection I loaded it up with a NOS Twenty Grand and took it for a ride. It seemed slightly different in shave angle than my other 1912s and seemed to put a little more blade to the face. Once I had the angle down it was a nice shave. I made the last pass with a modern Gem SS blade to try and experience what pjgh had related and wow, it toned the razor down to the point that I was wondering if the blade was even touching my face. I will definitely be shimming any new blade I use in this razor. I have shimmed other SE razors but none have reacted so drastically.

I am glad I finally found an OC, now I can concentrate on other things...like finding a Streamline. :w00t:

Thanks to all for their advice and the cool pics in this thread.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion the "closed comb" bar is bent so far down the razor preforms like and open comb. I have both and honestly cannot tell the difference..

Got it today! It's not mint but it was in very good condition. After cleaning it and disinfection I loaded it up with a NOS Twenty Grand and took it for a ride. It seemed slightly different in shave angle than my other 1912s and seemed to put a little more blade to the face. Once I had the angle down it was a nice shave. I made the last pass with a modern Gem SS blade to try and experience what pjgh had related and wow, it toned the razor down to the point that I was wondering if the blade was even touching my face. I will definitely be shimming any new blade I use in this razor. I have shimmed other SE razors but none have reacted so drastically.

I am glad I finally found an OC, now I can concentrate on other things...like finding a Streamline. :w00t:

Thanks to all for their advice and the cool pics in this thread.

View attachment 627647
proxy.php

Use a Half of a Gem spine like shown above...You just cut straight through the spine that you have removed with a very sharp knife..Its quite easy as these spines are soft..Place the half spine under the spine of the blade that you are using..That's it in a nut shell..You have now replicated the thickness of the spine of the original stropping blade and the blade will be seated correctly & the gap between the comb & blade with be true.. :w00t:

Billy

proxy.php

Use a Half of a Gem spine like shown above...You just cut straight through the spine that you have removed with a very sharp knife..Its quite easy as these spines are soft..Place the half spine under the spine of the blade that you are using..That's it in a nut shell..You have now replicated the thickness of the spine of the original stropping blade and the blade will be seated correctly & the gap between the comb & blade with be true.. :w00t:

Billy

I finally got around to giving this a spin yesterday morning. The shimming of the blade was a success, it had a very similar feel to the vintage blade that I had tried, but with a modern sharp blade. All in all a very nice shave. Thanks for the advice!

I finally got around to giving this a spin yesterday morning. The shimming of the blade was a success, it had a very similar feel to the vintage blade that I had tried, but with a modern sharp blade. All in all a very nice shave. Thanks for the advice!
Glad you got the benefit from the Shim..It does make a difference to some SEs more than others..I found the same thing regarding the similar feel to the older blade..Its because the angle is correct as it should be.. :w00t:

Billy

Top Bottom