What's new

Razors with Unexpected Results

Which vintage razor (DE - injector, etc.) gave you unexpected results - either positive or negative?

For me - the Gillette New was a big positive surprise for me as I had heard the open combs were overly aggressive. The New produces a GREAT shave - which I did not expect. I am going to try other open combs.

Another pleasant surprise was the Slim Adjustable. I had used a Fatboy and figured no adjustable would shave better - but the slim does (IMHO).

On the negative side - the heavy Merkur 38C was ok - but the weight was for me unexpectedly too much. I think 2 ounces is a nice weight. The 38C is almost 4!!

The 40s Super Speeds. I thought they wouldn't be aggressive enough and that my preference for my adjustables would affect my opinion too much, but I really enjoy the 40s SS.

The Gillette NEW has been the biggest positive surprise I've had in shaving. After using one for several weeks I put out the call for other open combs to help determine what about it makes it so satisfying.

Careful pre-shave, a Feather and a NEW is currently my benchmark of scrapeless, whisker-eradicating, great shaves - and satsfies every time.

Roger

The Schick Krona. It has all the heft and feel of a Happy Meal toy, but is the best TTO shaver I've used.

negative; the merkur classic (33C) which was far too mild compared to other merkurs as the open comb and slant.

positive; the cheap LORD razor of which I expected nothing but gave a real decent shave after all.

I found the two Merkurs I've tryed to be sub par (as if I haven't posted this enough). They just did not meet all the hype.

I was very surprised a the shave I recived from my 195 prototype. I enjoy a fatboy but was a little reluctant to think I would get a good shave from the 195. Heck, it was only a prototype and never marketed.

It is my top razor to date.

I was pleasantly surprised at the Weishi. Despite the funny noises, it's a decent shaver, albeit a very mild one.

I was surprised at the relative tameness of the red tip. I imagined it as a very aggressive shaver, but it seems like it should fall closer to the "moderate" category. It certainly isn't as aggressive as a cranked up fatboy.

I think my Gillette New was the biggest positive surprise for me. Loaded with a Feather, it gives a great shave. The slim head is very maneuverable, and the open comb gives a very different sensation as it glides down the face, as opposed to the solid guard bars. And it was cheap, too!

V

VR6ofpain

Aristocrat. Thought it would shave great because of the heft. The shave was horrid. I sold it.

First, the positive experience. I tried the senator and really didn't expect much. I found it to be a great shaver and is one of my favorites.

The negative would be the MP R89. Honestly, overhyped and the shave was nothing special. It really seems to be aggressive for aggressive sake.

The Bostonian and the NEW. Very positively surprised at how close and smooth they shave.

The slant. My "go to" razor. It has a fearsome reputation, but I've found it to be just absolutely superb.

The Gem cleaver on a stick: I was romanticizing about the shave with this one but when I tried it with a modern Gem blade, it ripped me to shreds. Wont be using this one again but at least it looks pretty.

Negative side: Gillette Old Type. Man that thing cuts me up. I still have to give it a try shimmed.

Positive side: 1956 B1 Gillette Red Tip SS. YMMV, but I think it's less aggressive than a Merkur HD. Another feather in the cap for the SS is the fact that it was my Dad's. I was born in Aug. 1955 so maybe he bought himself a present celebrating my first birthday. Too bad he isn't around anymore to get the full history. All I know about it is that he gave it to my mother to shave her legs when he went electric. It's a beauty, and I shave with it with pride!!

Top Bottom