What's new

A Poor Man's Tipsy Texan

This is a sandwich made famous by Aaron Franklin of Franklin BBQ. I wasn't about to pay Brisket prices for the beef, so picked up a nice Blade Roast from Costco. While I was at it, I smoked a couple bone in pork butts to give both our sets of Folks to enjoy over Christmas. To be honest, it was very hard to give them up as they were the best tasting ones I have ever done and the first time I have ever used (or seen) Bone-In, up here in Canada. Ever since I saw Jay @ouch post a pic of it, along with seeing it in the Manifesto, I have wanted to make it. Today was that day.

When my wife came home, she was almost in disgust at what I was cooking up. She said "Do you really need sausage, you don't have enough going on?". But after the first bite, she was eating her words...literally. When I told her it was normally done with brisket but it was too expensive, she said "This is better anyway". The best compliment at the tables was our youngest (8) who said "Come on Mom, you really don't want sausage on it....it's a Tipsy Texan, you can't have a Tipsy Texan without sausage" :lol:. I don't know how or why all these flavors work together, but I can't imagine having it without any part of them in it.

Overall, a very fun day smoking meat, playing street hockey with the kids and enjoying the new kitchen. By far, one of the greatest sandwiches I have ever made. All done over Lump/Pecan/Cherry on the Ceramic Cooker....as well as a few things in the Cast Iron (Sausage, Onions).

Beef Rubbed:
proxy.php

Pork Rubbed:
proxy.php

Pork Done:
proxy.php

Beef Done:
proxy.php

Local bought homemade Farmer Sausage Done:
proxy.php

1/2 the Beef Pulled:
proxy.php

Homemade Slaw, Dill Slices, Grilled Red Onion, Fresh baked buns, Espresso Sauce:
proxy.php

Assembly:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ready to Eat, no sides needed:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Leftovers & Handouts:
proxy.php

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Handouts? I have my hand out.

By the way, the kitchen came out great. :thumbup1:

And a pretty good looking sandwich, I must say.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Fresh baked buns? Beef and pork with sausage? Coleslaw, pickles and onions with Espresso sauce? New kitchen with great lighting, appliances and granite tops?

What I really want to know is how you posted 14 pictures in a single post?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bruce, your BBQ sandwich looks very good. I like the way you took the time and effort to (improve) replicate a very tasty masterpiece. Good job.

Thanks everyone.

It was a simple sandwich to make once I smoked the beef and easily customizable to suite peoples wants. We did them all the same but you could add jalapeños, cheese, BBQ sauce etc.

In fact, I'll probably be having another one today with a few of those toppings.!

Handouts? I have my hand out.

By the way, the kitchen came out great. [emoji106]1:

And a pretty good looking sandwich, I must say.
Kitchen?! You are a stronger man than I, too notice a kitchen through that food. But the kitchen does look great, Bruce.

Top Bottom