What's new

Calling all archers.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Who's into archery? Between shaves, of course. I've fooled around with a bow and arrows on occasion and had a lot of fun doing it. I'm considering throwing a little Christmas gift card money at it and getting into it more seriously. Seems like a great thing to do with the kids too. There's a range not too far from my house that I'll check out and rent a bow or something. I'm interested mainly in traditional bows - recurves and longbows. Nothing terribly fancy.

Anyway, I know there are several big archery forums to ask newbie questions and such, but I'd appreciate any advice/input/stories from my B&B brothers (and sisters).

Don't have experience with traditional bows, I've only shot compounds. I was heavily involved in archery as a kid and highly recommend it for kids. Teaches discipline, patience, concentration, etc. Also helps with firearms marksmanship fundamentals as well actually. It could also be fun as a hunting experience for yourself or with the kids if that is your thing. If you live in a rural area and have a decent backdrop you can even practice in your backyard. Much more of a challenge hunting with a bow even a compound one. I would suggest renting and trying as many bows as you can before you decide which one to buy. They can be a YMMV item too. I personally have a bow tech assassin because it's a great shooter and the price was right. Best of luck.

I was into it many years ago. I had a recurve made by Bear. It can be a lot of fun. I use to target shoot only. You do not need a very powerful bow for that. I think mine was 35 lb. pull. The club I was in had a very nice course. There are standard course distances for a regulation course. The targets should range from 10 yards to 85 yards, with a total of 14 targets. My club had 2 courses that wove thru the woods. Very nice indeed.
I almost got back into it a couple of years ago. I was going to buy a compound for around $240. It's a nice sport.

I've got a recurve bow that I mess around with a few times each year. I always intend on dedicating more time to practicing, but then a movie comes on...... I love shooting the bow and when I am hitting my target I find it relaxing. When I'm missing I find it very frustrating! I have a PSE Mustang, it was around $200 new and is a 50lb draw. I bought it with hopes of hunting one day. If I were to do it over again, I would probably stick to the 40lb draw to make the sessions more enjoyable. Now I want to shoot my bow....thanks!

Saving up my money now to get into it. Felt like it would be a nice change from the guns and my back yard is large enough to set up a range without having to travel if I just want to practice .

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've used a recurve bow exclusively for deer since the early 2000's. I usually take it out a couple times a year for spring turkey as well. My main bow is a Bob Lee hunter elite that's #45 pounds @28 inches, but I have several other <50 dollar bows I've picked up at yard sales or auction sites that are great.
The one thing I'd change if I could go back is the way I hold the string. I do a split finger hold, one finger about the arrow and two below, and I wish I'd started with three under. Some of the best shots I've seen shoot 3 under and I just think it's the better option. I've tried to make the change...just can't do it.

My 7yr old is taking a class that is offered here. I was very glad thats she has wanted to try it. Its only been a month, but have seen alot of progress. Mainly learning the rules and safety, but this past week she hit the target at 20yds. This is a pic of where she practices in our yard. Genesis Bow. Now i have a reason to get my recurve finally haha. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450924240.548515.jpg

Do a lot of homework before you do or buy anything! Get to really know what is going on with archery. I have been out of archery since the 1980's--got into ham radio and busy with raising a family. Find your local archery clubs and pro shops, and ask lots of questions. Do the best you can to find a coach/mentor to help you. Join the national archery associations, too, and support archery laws at the national level. Good luck to you, and have fun, I know you will.

My 7yr old is taking a class that is offered here. I was very glad thats she has wanted to try it. Its only been a month, but have seen alot of progress. Mainly learning the rules and safety, but this past week she hit the target at 20yds. This is a pic of where she practices in our yard. Genesis Bow. Now i have a reason to get my recurve finally haha.
View attachment 624627

Awesome!! I love when kids get excited about the outdoors and sportsmanship!

I've got a piece of red oak setting in the back room that I hope to turn into a stick bow. If I manage to turn it into a workable bow, I have an Osage Orange growing in the back yard that may furnish me a blank or two, provided that I get that ambitious.

tankerjohn

Very cool, JBW! That's a sweet bow. Lucky girl.

Great advice, Wood Badger. Noted and thanks.

Last week, I took a basic archery class with my four oldest kids. They LOVED it! I think I have them hooked. I managed to find a few bows on holiday clearance on the interwebs. I've been reading everything I can on how to get this bows set up and dialed in when they get here. Can't wait.

Archery is one of the aspects we teach at my martial arts school. I've been studying martial arts for years but I began the studying the archery aspect about six months ago. In our study we shoot traditional Chinese recurve bows using a thumb ring. The arrows we use are 37 inch long bamboo arrows. The bows vary in draw weight up to 50lbs. I use a two piece take apart with 37lbs draw weight, it looks just like the one shown in the last two pictures. The take apart bows are hand made for our schools by artisans in Argentina. Our basic student bows are the show being use buy my niece and nephew, yellow and green belts in the first three pictures. The student bows have a 19lbs draw weight. Those bows are made for our schools by an artisan in China. The bamboo arrows are also made for our schools in China.

Here are some phone shots of my niece and nephew during their last class.
$arch2.jpg

$arch1.jpg

$arch3.jpg

Here are a few of our Master shooting from outside the school toward the target inside.
$arch5.jpg

$arch4.jpg

Could you (xillion) explain or show a picture of what you mean by "thumb ring"? I'm curious about this.

Last edited:
Could you (xillion) explain or show a picture of what you mean by "thumb ring"? I'm curious about this.

This is my thumb ring. This one is made of plastic. I have some that I made out of wood and one that is made of bronze. Mine all have this same basic shape.

$ring2.jpg

Below is zoomed is crop of my Master showing the his ring in action. The thumb ring he is using in this picture is made of wood. There is a small notch or groove in the
ring that the string sits in when drawn. In our study we draw the bow with our thumb and lock it with our middle finger. To loose the bow we simply open the
middle finger and release the thumb. The lighter bows can be drawn and shot without the ring, many of our students do this, but over time it does take a
toll on the skin of the thumb. With the heavier draw weight bows a thumb ring is advised. Without it you'll develop a blister on your thumb very quickly.

$ring0.jpg

Thanks for the info. It is very interesting to me. Makes me want to take up archery again. I haven't touched a bow in a very long time.

tankerjohn

That's awesome Xillion! I've heard about shooting with a thumb ring mainly in the context of Asian horsearchery (i.e. Mongols, Huns, etc). I'm impressed by your master shooting standing one foot! That's some balance there.

Dear John,

I'm interested mainly in traditional bows - recurves and longbows. Nothing terribly fancy.

Anyway, I know there are several big archery forums to ask newbie questions and such, but I'd appreciate any advice/input/stories from my B&B brothers (and sisters).

if there is an archery club near you I recommend you check it out, around here the clubs are very friendly to people interested in archery. Generally they have some equipment for new shooters to try out. If you start out with archery it is usually recommended to start with a relatively light bow to learn correct form - but once you shoot for a few months you will quickly outgrow that starting bow because your strength will develop quickly in the beginning (archery uses some muscles that are quite underdeveloped with most people...).

So don't just run out to buy a bow just now if there is an archery club nearby - check them out :=)

It is a great hobby, but not one where you can get instant gratification...

Let them fly,
br,
ToM

Dear John,

if there is an archery club near you I recommend you check it out, around here the clubs are very friendly to people interested in archery. Generally they have some equipment for new shooters to try out. If you start out with archery it is usually recommended to start with a relatively light bow to learn correct form - but once you shoot for a few months you will quickly outgrow that starting bow because your strength will develop quickly in the beginning (archery uses some muscles that are quite underdeveloped with most people...).

So don't just run out to buy a bow just now if there is an archery club nearby - check them out :=)

It is a great hobby, but not one where you can get instant gratification...

Let them fly,
br,
ToM
Can you name some of these archery fora? I was looking for archery ranges a while ago without much success. Any archery forum should be just the place to go.

Top Bottom