What's new

First post/ shave/ advice, mistakes?

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to straight razor shaving (only used cartridges and a splash of water for my first 31 years on the planet). I recently did some research and became interested in SE shaving. I had my first shave this morning and would like to share my experience so far and maybe get some pointers on what I may have done right and wrong.

First, all my equipment so far has cone from whippeddog.com. Flawed straight razor, flawed strop, and silvertip badger hair brush. So far i am very happy with the razor, it definitely has cosmetic flaws on upper half of blade and miscolored scales but that is why I only had to 29$ for it. The business end of the blade seemed fantastic to me and as far as a newb like me could tell it was well honed. The real highlight was the 35$ brush. I love the look and feel of it and couldnt be happier as i am also shaving this way for frugal reasons and hope to keep the brush forever.

Lathering: this is where i ran into my first real issues. Some slick frog soap came with my brush from whippeddog and i couldnt seem to gett a lather started in my mug. I watched some geofatboy videos about this and also read tutorials on this forum but had no luck. Finely decided to soak the soap while i took a shower. Still no luck in the mug so i switched to my hand. At this point i felt like i got a real good lather going and applied it to my face. However when i did start shaving after a minute or 2 it would be come real translucent and hard to tell where it was on my face. I tried to keep it thick and used very little water but it kept happening. Could it be the soap? Any recommendations? Is it hard to make your own shaving soap?

The shave: I started with a full beard about a half inch long, i thought it would be fun to start out shaving a real beard, however looking back I probably should have kept it short for beginners sake. I used short strokes and took my time, for the most part it went well. I was surprised I was able to shave with my left hand and it didnt seem all that awkward. I did take the tip of the blade to my left cheek on accident though and got a small slice because of it. What part of the blade should actually be cutting whiskers? Tip, middle, heel, all of the above? At times it felt like the blade was pulling (im assuming because if my technique) especially on my lower neck.

The results: In the end i definitely ended up with some razor burn and more of a 5 oclock shadow shave but i wasnt trying for much more and only went wtg 3 passes and no xtg or atg. A couple small nicks but did get my cheek slightly with tip once.

All in all I loved it and I didnt even get much of a shave yet. It was relaxing and rewarding. Gonna try again tonight after work. Kinda wish i had better smelling soap though lol. Taking any advice and critiques. Thanks and nice to meet you all

Larry's a great guy to deal with. I can only comment on the soap since I am new to SR shaving myself. Lather shouldn't disappear that quick, or be that difficult to create. I would try a different soap, many to choose from, Stirling's my fave, others will chime in..

Your lather needs to be a bit slicker and "wetter" than what you would use for carts or DE's.

The best way to go about this is to start with little water, and add gradually as you go along. Your finished lather shouldn't really be cloudy, fluffy mounds. Your goal is to make a slicker, "yogurt" like lather. If it has a high shine and no small bubbles, you should be in business.

As for what part of the blade cuts... All of it! Certain areas of your face will be easier to reach with different parts. Sideburns, for example, are typically handled by the toe of the razor.

I've used Bald Frog from Larry, and it's definitely up to par for straight shaving. It's going to take some time.

For a first shave, sounds like you did well! The better your lather, the better feel for the blade you'll get. The better feel, the more consistent and accurate your technique becomes. With enough practice, technique will become muscle memory.

Welcome, and good luck!

Sounds like a great beginning! Welcome to the world (bottomless well!) of straights! It only gets better, really!

One tip I've seen recommended many times (though I didn't follow this when I was starting): shave one pass with your regular razor (DE or cart), then shave with the straight. Having less hair can make the initial shaves easier as there's less work for the razor to cut and less hair for it to get hung up on as it's "touching down".

I will keep experimenting with the bald frog soap. I also ordered some Proraso Hydrating New Formulation Shaving Cream, 6.4 oz.

I shaved again last night and kinda feel like i need to scrape my face with the blade instead of it just gliding and cutting. If i dont scrape then it pulls the hairs. I tried cutting the hairs on my arm in the middle without touching skin and the blade kinda tugs on them. Is that normal? It does cut some without tugging first

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Plenty of excellent advice above from the straight razor gurus.

You mentioned when cutting hairs on your arm that it tugged.. Should pop them right off. Maybe lost a little bit of the edge?

Ugh i stropped in the wrong direction for about 20 round trips before i realized i was doing it in the wrong direction when i went to my leather strop and sliced it. Dumb mistakes, now it look like i get my first practice with the wet stone tonight

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ugh i stropped in the wrong direction for about 20 round trips before i realized i was doing it in the wrong direction when i went to my leather strop and sliced it. Dumb mistakes, now it look like i get my first practice with the wet stone tonight

I wouldnt jump right into honing just yet. One cut up strop should not totally destroy your edge. Spend about 10 minutes lightly stropping on your pasted balsa. Oh, hope you didn't put too much. It should seem like it is not nearly enough. If it seems like enough you got waaaaaaay too much. You want the abrasive embedded in the balsa and not scooting and rolling around on top of it. Rub it in good, too. And wipe your blade clean and wash hands before handling your leather strop so you dont get CrOx on it.

Sounds like you were using too high of a shaving angle. Scraping is what you DONT want to do. If it wont cut hairs at a normal shave angle, strop on the balsa until it does. Might take a while. YMMV.

Sounds like maybe you have hard water. Try lathering with distilled water. Or squeeze a few drops of lime juice onto your puck or brush.

What kind of stone do you have? Grit?

All in all, not a bad beginning, believe it or not. You dont get great shaves right out the gate, generally. There are a lot of details that have to all come together and this takes some experience. A month from now you will be enjoying this a lot more.

Well i definitely round my edge because it barely cuts hair on my arm even with light pressure. Unfortunately I was going the wrong direction on the balsa wood and didnt realize it until i cut my strop. I may also have a little too much paste on the balsa thanks for he heads up on that. Also some grime from the vintage blade has gotten onto the balsa wood leaving black spots in parts of the paste, is that bad?

I have the 4k/8k norton stone brand new. I think im gonna try and give it a go.

After watching some videos and shaving again this morning i think u are spot on about my shave angle scraping my face. Was much steeper this morning and ended up without much burn.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Its helping me learn from my mistakes very quickly

Well honing started terrible but ended well. I tried the circle method to start and didnt have much luck. I may have been doing more damage then good. Then i just tried going back and fourth free handed but think i might have had trouble figuring out the pressure. Finally the third youtube video i watched had a guy using 3 fingers on the blade and his other hand moving the blade back and fourth. This worked very well for me. After stropping on the balsa wood then leather strop my blade now is tree trunking arm hair very well.

My actual process was 20 round trips on each side of blade with the 4k side then 40 round trips on each side of blade on the 8k side of stone. Not sure if i was supposed to do more honing on the 8k side or not. Also i dont think it was so much honing as much as just fixing the damage i did to larry's original honing job.

I ordered a flattening stone but im also wondering if i should order some type of finishing stone. Would u recommend it? Or is using the paste on the balsa wood a good substitute (trying to stay frugal here)

http://thesuperiorshave.com/coticulebouts.html. For as little as $44 you can get a nice finisher. With the Coticule you can start coming off the 8k and over time you can learn slurry dilution and come straight off the 4K. I used to do this with a Naniwa 3/8 and eventually 3- Coticule was my preference. You don't need a big stone to finish on. Big bench stones are great for bevel setting, but finishing is a lighter more delicate thing. Holding a little bout in your hand is great fun.

http://thesuperiorshave.com/coticulebouts.html. For as little as $44 you can get a nice finisher. With the Coticule you can start coming off the 8k and over time you can learn slurry dilution and come straight off the 4K. I used to do this with a Naniwa 3/8 and eventually 3- Coticule was my preference. You don't need a big stone to finish on. Big bench stones are great for bevel setting, but finishing is a lighter more delicate thing. Holding a little bout in your hand is great fun.

I would like to spend the 44$ but dont know what stone i am supposed to buy

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Sounds like you hit the ground running!

There a lots of ways to hone up a razor, and your 4/8k is more than enough to at least get it shaving again. Before throwing more money down the rabbit hole I would suggest keeping at it on the Norton. Back in the day before Cotis and Jnats and lapping film the Norton was king. Fundamentally honing is the same regardless of the substrate, so if you can get your razor up and running on the Norton you will be ahead of the curve.

Top Bottom