What's new

Tea organization

Wondering how you guys organize your tea collections inside a kitchen cabinet.
To avoid, um, this.

$uploadfromtaptalk1450573763020.jpg

I keep my tea out of the kitchen. Far too many cooking and ingredient odors that can (and will) contaminate tea leaves unless they are in truly airtight containers. Since I drink mainly puer (which are just wrapped in paper), kitchen is a completely inhospitable environment for my teas.

With that said, my tea shelves are somewhat chaotic too. My good puer 普洱 is in a stoneware crock (humidified with soaked terra cotta) and so it's visually not cluttered, but there are lesser cakes and partial cakes that overflow and then various bags and containers of wuyi yancha 武夷岩茶, and wulong 乌龙 that stand around in a very loose spatial organization. And then sample bags and such too. It's kinda a mess in the dining room. :blushing:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Oolongs stay in tins in the kitchen. Pu'er in the basement, with a few kept handy in the dining room away from any stray odors.

Thank you for the responses. Not at pu'er stages yet, but when we get there, I'll say "honey, we'll store these with the Arkansas stones in the basement" :)

Wondering how you guys organize your tea collections inside a kitchen cabinet.
To avoid, um, this.

pretty much the same as far as tea collection. upper portion is my stuff and lower portion is my wife's. She is the "tea" drinker. I notice she has cleaned it up recently...

$IMG_8749.jpg

-jim

I keep my teas in tins, which I have picked up from the tea shops, our were given as presents of tea.
Most of my tea is lose leaf.

All my tea is loose leaf. I have some in cylinders in a chest. The rest came in puck like screw top containers, I just have those stacked in two rows. I will probably keep the containers to use for shave pucks too, they are about the right size.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I keep as much as I might use over a week or two in old Arriba salsa jars that I've run through the dishwasher. The rest vacuum packed in the pantry.

That's a lot of tea, doesn't it get stale as coffee does? It seems to be at least a two year supply there.

Puer doesn't really "go bad" or stale (unless storage conditions are poor). In fact, it usually improves with age. Some of the best puer I've had was 30+ years old.

Top Bottom