What's new

Pipe tabaco VS cigarettes

well, heres the deal,

from age 18 to a year ago, i smoked ciggs on a regular basis, in university i got my "brand" taste, camel filter, and one day it would be a single pack, another it would be 2, weekends when going out drinking could reach 3 packs,

the thing is last march (2007) i stopped smoking, and didnt lit up since,

the thing is that i´ve been building up curiosity over pipe smoking, i know its like ciggars, you dont inhale the smoke like in cigarettes, but how different is it from smoking cigs ?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Pipe tobacco is to cigarettes as Coates, Harris, eShave, and Penhaligons are to canned goo.

well, heres the deal,

from age 18 to a year ago, i smoked ciggs on a regular basis, in university i got my "brand" taste, camel filter, and one day it would be a single pack, another it would be 2, weekends when going out drinking could reach 3 packs,

the thing is last march (2007) i stopped smoking, and didnt lit up since,

the thing is that i´ve been building up curiosity over pipe smoking, i know its like ciggars, you dont inhale the smoke like in cigarettes, but how different is it from smoking cigs ?

Pipe smoking is completely different because you are smoking for the flavor. When you smoke a cigarette and inhale, you can't taste the flavor of the tobacco. Pick up a corncob pipe and some good tobacco and give it a try.(cob pipes are actually very good, and cheap)

+1 on the corn-cob pipes ... a great entry-level tool.

For starters, get at least 3, not more than 7, cheap pipes and keep them in rotation, smoking from one each day and let them dry out in between. Get a variety of shapes, sizes and stem lengths so you can see which works best for you. (After a lot of experimentation, I found I prefer the Canadian shape.)

Ask your local tobacconist to outfit with you the necessary equipment. Besides the pipe and tobacco, you'll want a good reamer, pipe-cleaners, a pouch to carry around in your pocket, and a decent butane lighter that's designed for pipes, or some quality matches with a phosphorous head on a long wooden stick. (Don't use a Zippo ... the lighter fluid taste will contaminate the tobacco. Same for the books of matches they give away with a pack of cigarettes. They're too short to handle properly, burn too quickly, and the sulfur in the head tastes horrible.)

Have him run you through a bowl or two to get the technique of packing the bowl, lighting it, keeping it lit, and cleaning. Its not as easy as it looks, and there's a right way to get best results.

i have S.T. dupont X-Trend lighter from my cig years, its a blue flame buthane lighter ,

Well, the same thing can be said about cigars and tasting. I suspect that the difference is in what you are tasting. With cigars it is just the tobacco and the artisan's skills, as it were. Pipes can add all kinds of flavorings.

The "advantage", if ultimately there is one, to pipe/cigar tobacco is that there is nothing but tobacco and, the make up of it means it burns at a lower temp etc and thus produces less dangerous stuff.

If you really want to learn pipes and their tobacco, I strongly suggest a good pipe shop where the intricacies can be explained. Often they'll let you sample tobaccos - it can save you a bunch of money in the long run!! Financially, with cigars more of the investment is in the tobacco so that's one advantage. Pipes themselves are pretty pricey and there are more gadgets and gizmos. I got hung up on the Dunhill thing and any of the top brands will dig deeply into your pockets- That'll take money out of your razor and brush budget. :)

i have S.T. dupont X-Trend lighter from my cig years, its a blue flame buthane lighter ,

As a former pipe and cigar snob, :001_tt2:, ixsnay on the butane!! Cigars and pipes should be lit by lower temp than butane for optimal experience. See your local tobacconist. :cool:

well, heres the deal,

The aroma of pipe tobacco is very pleasant compared to cigars (good ones have a good aroma to a nose that's acquired the taste, while bad ones smell like sweaty porkpie hats) or cigarettes (two words: frat house). Many more people will find pipe smoking intriguing. On the other hand, some will find it weird.

Another thing is that it's much harder, relatively, to get and keep a pipe burning compared to cigars or cigs. You've got to pack the tobacco tight enough to burn hot but loose enough to draw air through. But whatever OCD led you to this forum will probably help in this regard. :001_rolle

As a former pipe and cigar snob, :001_tt2:, ixsnay on the butane!! Cigars and pipes should be lit by lower temp than butane for optimal experience. See your local tobacconist. :cool:

So what do you suggest for optimal ignition? Phosphorous matches?

I agree that matches are better, but I reserve my matches for special occasions, relaxing at-home smokes, and premium cigars. For day-to-day smoking, a good butane lighter (preferably windproof, since we have to go outside) is indispensable.

Also remember that there tends to be a learning curve with pipe smoking. Coming off cigarettes you may be inclined to puff to fast. Just take it slow and easy.

The big difference between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco is what they put in the cigarette tobacco. While flavorings are added to many pipe tobaccos, cigarette tobacco contains all manner of solid additives and chemicals.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Two pipes is all you really need. If one of them is a corn cob that leaves more room in your budget for a nice one. Pipes have to be "broken in" and corn cobs break in the fastest. Of course they also wear out the fastest as well.

Do yourself a favor and avoid cheap pipes, except the Missouri meerschaum (corn cob). My first pipe was a cheap one and it never smoked very well, the briar was thin and it smoked on the hot side. Quality is better than quantity.

I haven't bought a pipe in over 20 years and am thinking of taking it up again. I found my old Savanelli pipe while moving and have been wanting to try it out again.

I have been enjoying pipes for years and have a small collection. Forget the cheap pipes. They will lead you down a poor path of hot spots and bad tasting tobacco.

Go with a Savinelli. They are fairly inexpensive and will produce a good smoke. I smoke exclusively Savinelli and I have been pleased with every one.

The real trick to pipe smoking is in the inhale. Once the pipe is lit and a cherry is visible on the tobacco puff slowly like 1 minute. If you find that the pipe is smoking too hot, your tongue starts to burn, slow down. If this still persists get yourself a churchwarden style. They have a longer stem and this cools the flow down they also give you excellent style points.

Also some tobaccos smoke hotter than others so watch this. Please go to a reputable tobacconist and talk to them. In lieu of that there are a few in the grocery store that are ok.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
...If this still persists get yourself a churchwarden style. They have a longer stem and this cools the flow down they also give you excellent style points.

Do they still make these? I heard there was only one production facility for them and they were shutting down. I have always wanted one but have not smoked a pipe in about 20 years.

dpm....+1 on the canadian style. i've put my new bjarne canadian style in my rotation recently (i bought it just a few days after he died) and its really great. my first straight pipe too, its a nice change.

back to the topic

cigs and pipe tobacco can be similar....i don't hardly smoke aromatics anymore, i stick to a bulk virginia flake called 2010 we sell where i work or i buy tinned tobacco (1792!!!!). im not saying its the same as cigarettes, but im just letting you know that pipe tobacco isn't always aromatic and i think thats an important aspect of learning about pipes. once i started smoking 'english' blends, if you will, i've never looked back. i find now, that the worse the tobacco smells in comparison to aromatics, the more i'll probably like the tobacco. as for buying a pipe, start off simply with something that you think looks good. if you like the way it looks, you'll smoke it more. its not necessary to have 3 pipes right off the bat, but after you get into smoking, you'll need more. i have four pipes right now that i rotate. if you get a butane lighter, make sure when lighting to put the fire just right over the tobacco, not on it, and draw on your pipe. this will pull down the flame for you. if you pull it down, as if it were fire from a match, it will light very easily.

also, i definitely inhale Frog Morton on the Town and any other non-flake tobacco, its really just up to you. i think you can taste the tobacco just the same with inhaling, but its completely optional and not for everyone.

do give pipe smoking a chance. its great, and after the learning curve, its all so simple. dont worry if your pipe goes out. let it rest a minute, and light it right back up. its no big deal.

sorry this is so long. its late, and as soon as i saw this thread, i just had to reply. thats when the rambling began.

Also remember that there tends to be a learning curve with pipe smoking. Coming off cigarettes you may be inclined to puff to fast. Just take it slow and easy.

Listen to Hazy!! Slow and steady and the correct tamping is essential to a cool smoke (and therein lies the. . . uh, oh. Now I want a smoke!!!) :)

The big difference between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco is what they put in the cigarette tobacco. While flavorings are added to many pipe tobaccos, cigarette tobacco contains all manner of solid additives and chemicals.

This is less so in the EU. British cigarettes are pretty much pure tobacco as are most German, etc. I don't know about Spanish ones though. :blushing: If you place a Dunhill, for example, in the ash tray after lighting it goes out fairly quickly, if memory serves. (Nasty stuff is added in the US!)

I cannot agree more with the notion toward British blends (and matured Virginia was my favorite as well). When smoked properly they are as sweet as can be. But they are like Scotch or other fine spirits. Each batch is a little different. They taste different in different pipes (go ahead- "Scotch tastes different in different pipes?) :lol::lol: Seriously, a well blended aromatic, one done by a tobacconist who knows you - that's the grail of pipe smoking, imho!! (I'm going to quit this before I head out for the pipe shop!) I have enough hobbies!!

I don't know about pipe tobacco and slightly off topic.

However, if anyone is actually silly enough to smoke cigarettes anymore these days (Like me from time to time) then I'd point you towards a brand called American Spirit.

They are additive free cigs. Essentially, just dried tobacco ... unlike every other brand that has god knows what absurd additives in it.

When I do partake in a smoke. I buy the yellow pack ones.

And I really (really) like them.

Heh.

Cheers.

In terms of quality, they are night and day. In terms of nicotine, they both got it and smoking a pipe could jones you up for a cigarette. Make certain this is what you want to do.

Top Bottom