What's new

Pipe tabaco VS cigarettes

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I think you all have talked me into it. I haven't found my old pipe yet but I can get a clay for under $10 and a corn cob for about $5 at the tobacco store in town.

I think this might even work out better than cigars.

Oh, DON'T TAKE A TORCH TO YOUR PIPE
Seen many bowls ruined this way

+1 on that! A torch will gauge holes on the bowl of your nice pipe. I'm kinda stubburn and insist on using my zippo. If you let the flame burn for a few seconds to let that petroleum smell dissapate, it's not so bad. I just like the classic looks of a zippo. Imco lighters are better in that they use a triple refined fluid. You can get a whole new kind of ADS just by collecting nice lighters! I keep quite a few zippos and will always buy a new one if it catches my eye. I like the "click-click" sound that is characteristic of the zippo.
You can see the date stamp at the bottom of the steel casing of zippos to see when they were made. An Imco lighter is the best for pipes and cigars and make for a fashionable way to light your pipe or cigar.
Ernest

how different is it from smoking cigs ?

Smoking a Cigarette is like watching TV.

Smoking a Cigar is like going to a movie.

Smoking a Pipe is like reading a book.

You can also tell a difference in the advertising for these different products. Cigs are advertised on billboards and "entertainment" magazines. Cigar magazines have ads that look upscale, with girls, fancy watches, and flashy cars. Pipe magazines have pictures of the artistry of the people who make the pipes and grow the tobacco.

Of course these are only my opinions, and you don't have to agree, but I like the pipe. I like wetshaving for many of the same reasons I like smoking a pipe.

I'm not a smoker and don't know a lot about all of this (although I once smoked pipe, don't know what kind nor which tobacco, and liked it), but is the pipe as bad as cigarettes on the health?

Actually it may be your opinion, but from the studies I found on the internet it appears to have some merit, if you do not inhale.

Tobacco alone is not dangerous for your health (at small doses) but the products they add in the mix are. So my question was: Is the tobbacco used in pipes more pure than the one in cigarettes?

American Spirit cigarettes have no additives, and the Surgeon General of the US says that they are just as dangerous as regular cigarettes. I really have no opinion about that in and of itself, except to say that many pipe tobaccos have no more additives than American Spirit. It really depends on what you smoke.

Tobacco alone is not dangerous for your health (at small doses) but the products they add in the mix are. So my question was: Is the tobbacco used in pipes more pure than the one in cigarettes?

Tip o' the hat to BMWRider for clarifying my statement.

Yes, pipe and cigar tobacco is 100% tobacco leaf (assuming non-aromatics here), whereas cigarettes are more likely to contain information to the known whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa's grave than they are pure, unadulturated tobacco.

Top Bottom