What's new

First RDA

Howdy,

A little background - have a Joytech Ego One setup and really like it - stealthy and simple. The Joytech tank works well for me, the .5 coil left me unimpressed, the 1.0 is better, but still leaves me wanting. I have wound some .7 coils for it with fair success, good flavor and nice draw, but I guess I need more cotton clogging the holes because they leak. Badly. Gurgly and drowns out.

Second tank is a Nautilus Mini. Kinda like the flavor, don't like the tight draw. Haven't tried building coils yet, watched a couple You Tubes so figure I could do it someday. Nobody makes a rebuildable for it, but it looks easy to rebuild the stock coils. (Rip Trippers has the vids)

I like tinkering, and want something with better flavor. Note - I am not a cloud chaser, just staying off the Copenhagen.

An IGO-T was in the mail a couple days ago. Excited to try it, I wound a single .7 coil with 26g Kanthal. It worked, tasted not great. Some 28g & 30g Kanthal was on the truck, but a heavy snow delayed Big Brown. Today they got to my neighborhood. After work I wound a pair of coils with 9 turns of 28g at 2mm. Why not the 30g? I discovered with the 26g the set screws shear the wire if not real careful, just snug was too tight. Tonight I filed the ends of the screws removing the burr left from the thread rolling and used the 28g to minimize the risk of shearing. Steam Engine put this setup at .7 ohm, it measured .72 on my meter. Taste is quite nice, a local Apple Pie juice that has no flavor on any other setup I have actually has an apple taste. Still need to work on my coil building, but so far I am impressed.

Any suggestions for simple builds are much appreciated. Bigger coils, like 2.5 or 3mm?? IGO-T is a small RDA, not sure 3mm would fit well.

The air holes are not more than pilot holes. One on each side, total of two, maybe 1/32". Draw is not bad for me, would like it a bit freer. Gonna open them up to 1/16" from what I've read on the reviews. Some go up to 1/8", but again, not a cloud chaser. Other hints??

$IGO-T 1.jpg

$IGO-T 2.jpg

Bill, are you pulsing your coils before wicking them up? I would also recommend you centre your coils a bit more.
Personally I would look at the Derringer RDA potentially, would look great on your Ego One battery, and not too airy, not too tight.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A couple things to remember, the more air you have the less flavor you will get. If you are not chasing clouds I always found just a bit of resistance was better than to much air. As long as you know the risks associated with a sub ohm build I would go just a little hotter maybe a .5. You can accomplish that with less wraps or the same wraps with 26 gauge wire.

Another simple build that is really good with 28 gauge wire are parallels. Wrap it exactly like you did with these, but use two strands of wire side by side instead of one.

Have fun and be careful.

Bill, are you pulsing your coils before wicking them up? I would also recommend you centre your coils a bit more.
Personally I would look at the Derringer RDA potentially, would look great on your Ego One battery, and not too airy, not too tight.

Heating & squeezing until they glow evenly. Need to work on the centering.

A couple things to remember, the more air you have the less flavor you will get. If you are not chasing clouds I always found just a bit of resistance was better than to much air. As long as you know the risks associated with a sub ohm build I would go just a little hotter maybe a .5. You can accomplish that with less wraps or the same wraps with 26 gauge wire.

Another simple build that is really good with 28 gauge wire are parallels. Wrap it exactly like you did with these, but use two strands of wire side by side instead of one.

Have fun and be careful.

I believe, and will double check, this Ego will go to .3, since I'm noob at this I am staying on the side of caution for now until I can build really decent .7 - 1.0 coils. I didn't think about opening the air lowering the flavor, have to do more pondering on that.

Thanks

I've been playing with coil set ups recently and I'm blown away by the flavour I get from quad coils. Time consuming, but fairly simple to make!

Built a set of twisted coils, 30g Kanthal. Comes in at .6 ohm. Really slow to heat up and give any vapor, really low flavor. Had to use 30, tried 28 and could not get both coils through the post hole. Think I'm going back to my previous coils.

I've got a dual coil in 28 gauge kanthal 2mm diameter with 5 wraps each in my Derringer clone at the moment. Comes out around 0.5ohms and the skinny little coils don't take much effort to heat up, might be worth a shot if the device is struggling to ramp up bigger coils.

Built a set of twisted coils, 30g Kanthal. Comes in at .6 ohm. Really slow to heat up and give any vapor, really low flavor. Had to use 30, tried 28 and could not get both coils through the post hole. Think I'm going back to my previous coils.
What wattage are you running it at?

Q: What is the output voltage/wattage and the resistance range of eGo-ONE?
A: The eGo-ONE features a direct-output battery with protective circuit module, so its output voltage/wattage is not constant, they will reduce as the battery power decreases. The probable range of output voltage is: 3.2V-3.8V. And the range of output wattage is 20W-30W(0.5ohm head); 10W-15W(1.0ohm). Also please make sure that the resistance of atomizer head should be controlled between 0.3Ω-5Ω. NOTE: The data above are based on atomizers from Joyetech brand
http://www.joyetech.com/faq/ego-one/

The above, if that's the one the OP has, led me to think the little skinny coils might be the way to go.

Not getting the flavor I've been searching for with sub-ohm builds, so went the other way. 15 turns of 30g Kanthal, dual build comes in at 1.85 ohms. Lotta flavor, real slow to heat 3-5 seconds, but has a great flavor.

$IMG_0837_DxO.jpg

I have been building for a while. I use 26 Kanthal, because being a little stiffer than 28 Kanthal, it is easier to build with, center, tighten, etc.

I do a dual coil, 26 Kanthal, 2.5mm 9 wrap, for a .53ohms. Not too hot, but heats up nicely. I only use mechs and always have. This build works real well for me.

This is one of my builds on an Odin.

proxy.php

These are the same type coil, but in a vertical position on an Origen.

Greg W.

Last edited:
Top Bottom